Tough Coatings

Discuss all your finishing techniques here!
From powder coating to air brushing!

Tough Coatings

Postby Ripper » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:00 pm

http://www.rhinolinings.com.au/default.asp
I was wondering if anyone has tryed this product as a protective coating for any buggies. My cousin runs the Townsville branch and I have had the chance to attack a few of the products that he can spray. I am convinced that I will be using this on my buggy on the high wear areas eg, underside and swingarms.
This stuff will survive an industrial sandblaster quite easily, so this combined with a good powder coat I think it would last a lifetime.
Anyone have any views?
Ripper
Registered Member

Postby Tony » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:11 pm

I think it would work well.
I used to have a ute where I had the whole inner try Rhino lined.
Its a form of Urathane & like you say, tough as hell.
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Postby Toyz@Large » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:14 pm

I think the only issue with this stuff is that it is not a smooth finish. If that is a worry that is.
As light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak
http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x87/ ... a%20Build/
Toyz@Large
Trax II

Postby Ti_CLaD » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:51 pm

When I had repainted my truck I had that sprayed in the box... Did a very nice job, if you scratch it it will show for a while then I guess the sun sorta blends it some... On edge some bits flew off with time and wear, but still looks nice after 5½years... BTW it didn't cover the dents, they were beaten out...

Before:

After:
Claude

Kawazaki ZX7 Piranha, Twin A-Arm Front And Rear
Ti_CLaD
Fun Kart

Re: Tough Coatings

Postby jlf198404 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:31 am

probably useless to you now, but when i build mine, im using this, its a urathaane based bed liner for trucks but it says on the site "use to protect Truck Beds (replaces drop-in plastic liners), Trailers, Boats, Off-Road Vehicles, RV’s, fences, decks, lawn furniture and almost anything that requires durability at a Down-to-Earth price." dont know what the finish is like but i dont mind if its rough or smooth. the best part is that it is tintable, so you can make it almost any colour. ill let you know how it works out when i'm done, wont be for a while tho, still have to order plans.

http://www.dominionsureseal.com/product ... 6&catid=35
-josh
jlf198404
Raven

Postby Ti_CLaD » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:43 pm

Took me more than a year to realize but the hippo liner is what I put in my pick-up truck box not rhino... sorry for the bad info... I just bought some more to put under the buggy and did a great job again...
Claude

Ti_CLaD
Fun Kart

Postby jlf198404 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:40 pm

Ti_CLaD wrote:Took me more than a year to realize but the hippo liner is what I put in my pick-up truck box not rhino... sorry for the bad info... I just bought some more to put under the buggy and did a great job again...

did it wear off or was it just not originally coated?
-josh
jlf198404
Raven

Postby Ti_CLaD » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:13 am

Nope it's still holding on to the bed of my truck and looking good... like stated on the edges, some chips flew off when dinged hard enough but it doesn't continue chiping around it... On the buggy I coated it 2 weeks ago so it has not been used yet cause I have to finish rebuilding it at the same time... But seeing how it held on to the pick-up truck for almost 7years I have a lot of faith in the product!!!

I did not quite understand the part of "or was it just not originally coated?" of your question so if I did not answer it please explain a little more and I'll answer it... :)
Claude

Ti_CLaD
Fun Kart

Postby jlf198404 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:43 pm

i get it now, thanks for the input!
-josh
jlf198404
Raven

Return to Finishing & Detailing