Chroming a chassis, hubs and swingarms.

Discuss all your finishing techniques here!
From powder coating to air brushing!

Postby chrishallett83 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:03 pm

Cut apart?!? You what? Tell them to get fucked!
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" - Douglas Bader
chrishallett83
Vulture

Postby ResidentPsycho » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:07 pm

why the hell would they have to cut apart your rims????
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it Image
ResidentPsycho
Taipan

Postby Dan Evans » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:08 pm

yeah dont worry i did but if that chrome powder coat will give me the finish im after ill go down that path. I just want some shiny wheels but im not paying $650 for them
Dan Evans
Taipan

Postby Dan Evans » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:09 pm

R.S i dont know they tell me thats how its done
Dan Evans
Taipan

Postby Jet » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:48 pm

You dont need to polish the powdercoat, just make sure you get a clear coat put over top.
<a href="http://www.digrite.com.au/racing#!digrite-racing/c23vw">Check out the latest video and Pictures from Digrite Racing</a>
Jet
Barracuda

Postby Camel » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:30 am

I think Dan means polish the metal prior to powdercoating. Same as for Chroming. If you don't get a mirror finish off the base metal then your powdercoating, chroming, nickel plating, etc will just highlight the pitting, scale and other imperfections. It's like zinc plating, if you sand/bead blast the metal prior to zincing, you get a nice satin finish.
---
Gen II Hayabusa - ECU HACKED - 300kmh+ No 2nd and 3rd gear restrictions, Modified maps, Wideband datalogger
http://www.wasuperlites.com
Camel
Piranha

Postby Jet » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:34 pm

i dont think anyone have that problem with powdercoating, I've never seen it before.

Make sure you do the clear coat tho.
<a href="http://www.digrite.com.au/racing#!digrite-racing/c23vw">Check out the latest video and Pictures from Digrite Racing</a>
Jet
Barracuda

Postby Dan Evans » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:13 pm

Well today i loaded all sorts of parts lnto the ute and off to the chromers i went.
I met old mate at the chroming company that i have been in contact with by phone and email who gave me a budget quote of $2600 to chrome the suspension arms, sprokets, discs, pedal boxes, stteering shafts etc. A fair price I thought.
So anyway once he sees the bits i want done which are the same bits i sent photos of by email he tells me that he is not interested in my business as it will be to expensive for me to get them done.
The new quote is $7250 !!!
Needless to say I left not a happy chappy.
3 chromers later and i still didn't manage to find anybody who could even come close to the original quote BUGGER!!!
Dan Evans
Taipan

Postby Tony » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:17 pm

Do not Chrome the disc rotors.
They will not work.
Zinc plate them.

Most of the cost of Chroming is the polishing.
If you are insistant on having parts Chrome plated, (Personally I wouldn't bother) then you will save a great deal polishing the parts yourself.

Parts such as pedal boxes would not Chrome plate well as you cannot get inside the pedal box to polish it.
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Postby Camel » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:05 pm

Whoa Dan, that's price is either exhorbitant or you really do want a chromed buggy!

Does anyone know if it's any cheaper in other states? Qld might be laying a big fat polluters tax on chromers in the sun-a-shine state.
---
Gen II Hayabusa - ECU HACKED - 300kmh+ No 2nd and 3rd gear restrictions, Modified maps, Wideband datalogger
Camel
Piranha

Postby Tony » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:08 pm

Some Zinc plates here in WA have a tax which gets added to the invoice for the disposal of their chemicals.
I have also had the same from tyre supplies & batterys.
But its normally only around $5.00.
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Postby Dan Evans » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:14 pm

Like Tony said the money is in the labour in polishing but $7K = a labour for 2 months so i think there is a lot of (I dont want your work tax) in there.
Dan Evans
Taipan

Postby Camel » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:18 pm

bizarre

let's move it offshore where labour and lives and enviro bribes are cheap
---
Camel
Piranha

Postby buggy bandit » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:24 pm

how exactly is powder coat dun, i know its baked on but when they spray the material that melts on, what makes it stick before it is baked and how does the clear coat work is it just a clear form of the base are they baked on together or after the base coat is baked on? Is it the same for candy powder?
buggy bandit
Raven

Postby Tony » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:35 pm

Powder is sprayed onto the part & the powder sticks via an electrostatic charge.
(Powder & the part have a charge that attracts the powder to the part).
It then goes into an oven which bakes & melts the powder untill it flows.

Candy is two processes.
First a metalic silver which is baked on.
Then the item comes out & the top colour tint is applied & re-baked.
Tony
Administrator

Postby Dan Evans » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:47 pm

Tony I spoke to a powder coater today and he was saying that the candy coating is not as durable as a normal coat and may not last (stay new looking )as long as a solid colour has your experance provine otherwise?
Dan Evans
Taipan

Postby Tony » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:55 pm

The Candy, (& it may depend on the brand) is durable in normal buggy use, I did not notice anydifference to bonding, scratches, chipping etc.
Although I would not leave the buggy sitting in the hot Australian sunshine for extended periods of time.
Our Red Aprilia Cuda started to fade after being in the carpark during the summer for a few months.
It didn't go dusty or anything bad like that, it just started to go a slightly lighter shade as though the tint was fading a bit.

I will still be coating my next buggy in the same stuff but not leave it outside for long periods.
Tony
Administrator

Postby Dan Evans » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:02 pm

He did say that the U.V rating wasn't as high
Dan Evans
Taipan

Re: Chroming a chassis, hubs and swingarms.

Postby jlf198404 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:01 am

i know a little late now, but what about building with stainless steel? may be too heavy and expensive tho.
-josh
jlf198404
Raven

Re: Chroming a chassis, hubs and swingarms.

Postby Ripper » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:46 pm

Hi ya Croming sounds a little painfull!! In Townsville I have a contact that sandblasts and then sprays zinc on with a liquid arc gun. It has a VERRY clean finish and can be powder coated painted whatever.. The prosess is called liquid arc spraying and a few bridges in the US have been sprayed in this back in the 1920s and are still in good nic. Might be a cheaper option to look into??
This beast is getting a flogging when its finnished!!
Ripper
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Finishing & Detailing