Hypersprint.... car engine

Buggy Specific

Hypersprint.... car engine

Postby Bad Dee » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:10 am

Hi there Everyone
Im new to this whole buggy thing and the forum. I am 14 and i am planing on buiding a hypersprint by using a ford laser engine(1.6L) As you might already know that this is a front wheel drive car so all the steering and stuff is at the drive wheels. What me and my dad have planned to do is to mount the whole thing at the back of the buggy and get rid of all the steering systems. Any tips or Ideas anyone?? I have a pretty good knowledge in the engineering field ( i can also weld), so I would also prefer any technical and mechanical tips and ideas. :) :D :mrgreen:
About to start the pirahna project
Raven is nearly done
Bad Dee
Taipan

Postby adam » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:10 am

using a car engine/running gear etc will completely get rid of the point of making one of these buggys, as car engines ar so heavy plus i can imagine it would be difficult to mate a hypersprint frame to a car front end!- im awaiting the next set of replys that go into more details of how using a car engine would be unsuitable lol
adam
Registered Member

Postby BJ » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:42 pm

http://www.edge.au.com/forum1/viewtopic.php?t=1041

have a look at that thread. its a similar question but regarding a wrx engine which is lighter, more compact and has more power than a laser engine.

If you want a hypersprint, use a bike motor. If you want to use the laser engine build a bigger buggy like those ones that use the VW engines.
BJ
Raven

Postby Bad Dee » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:09 pm

well at the moment i cant affoard anything else then a laser engine, as big bike engines are too pricey. I can make some allterations to the frame to fit the laser engine. Maby in a few years time when i can affoard one i will think about using a powerfull bike engine. The actual reason im building this buggy is to get more experience in the engineering field. my dad is spending a reasonable amount of money on me so i can lean more. i would like to have more power but i can afford it and at the moment i am not after power but to really learn something
thankx anyway.
I will speak to my dad and see what he says about it.
I havent yet bought plans so i can just scrap the idea of the hypersprint and go with my own design. if i go with my own design im pretty sure that i will make some mistakes and have go back to the drawing board a few times before i get it right. Anyways what do you gus recon about the ballistic that edge built :D :) :mrgreen:
Raven is nearly done
Bad Dee
Taipan

Postby trojan » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:40 pm

the edge biggies are designed light for bike engines. (good thing)

You will need to up-rate all the pipe work

Might I suggest getting plans to a car powered buggy like:

http://www.rhinobuggies.com.au/prod03.htm

And modify the engine mounts to suit the laser.
Don't ya hate it when you put your heart into something only to have political c**ts who've contributed little by comparison, knife you in the back?
trojan
Piranha

Postby Bad Dee » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:47 pm

thanx trojan,
do you recon the CDS tubing would help.... like the 2" round tubing
Raven is nearly done
Bad Dee
Taipan

Postby BJ » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:02 pm

Hey Bad Dee, if you are short on funds the hypersprint is probably not the best buggy to build. Not sure if you realised but you cant buy plans for the suspension so you have to buy the front and rear suspension as complete kitsets. A Piranha will be cheaper to build and a sidewinder cheaper again. And you will gain more building experience as the suspension doesnt just bolt on.

If you still want to build the hypersprint, you should look for an old motorcycle engine. Even if its air cooled or only around 600cc. There should be something in the sub $500 range. Performance wont be that great but at least later on down the track you can easily swap in a better engine when you can afford one.
BJ
Raven

Postby Andrew-NZ » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:03 pm

If money is of a concern, re the purchase of a bike engine, then perhaps a Hypersprint may not be for you... you have to purchase the front & rear suspensions components from The Edge... they are not detailed in the plans.. a quick look at the price list will give you the price !!
ANDREW

Don't start anything you can not finish, or at least weld, screw or duct tape up !!
Andrew-NZ
Trax II

Postby Bad Dee » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:01 pm

Hi there guys
me and my dad have talked and we have decided to go with the pirana. We recon this will be a good project as it will help me gain good knowledge. we had a look at the side winder and it seemed a bit too easy as i have built a similer but smaller 'on road go kart' the only difference would be the ground clearence, suspension and a smaller honda ct110 engine. Thankyou for all you guys help and tips.

by the way i have a few go kart parts to sell so i can my plans to start the project. such as chains and sprockets, chainbreaker. So if anyone is interested please ask me.
Raven is nearly done
Bad Dee
Taipan

Postby Jet » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:03 pm

FastGuy.

Bad Dee obviously said this:
by the way i have a few go kart parts to sell so i can my plans to start the project. such as chains and sprockets, chainbreaker.

Do not adjust peoples posts whilst you are quoting them.

Also, Could you please refrain from Advertising Free Go-kart plans on this forum.
thats illegal

besides you can get FREE PLANS from me

no not edge ones

There is a difference between putting a link up for peoples use, and advertising that they are only available though you.

I have already deleted a topic you posted for them; I do not want to be editing all of your posts.

There is nothing wrong with selling His edge plans, even if he was to.
If you legally brought your own plans, then you would be able to read on them this:

This Design Remains the property of the edge products & is not to be reproduced, stored in a retrial system, or transmitted in any form or means electronic mechanical photocopying, recorded or otherwise without prior written permission from © The Edge Products 2003.

That does not state you are not aloud to on sell your plans.

If you seem to find this incorrect, you feel what your intentions have been understood incorrectly, or think someone is doing something wrong on this forum, please Email the Admin team at edgeforum@gmail.com.

If not, I would ask you to refrain from advertising free go-kart plans on here, and adjusting quotations of posts.

Thanks
Phil.
<a href="http://www.digrite.com.au/racing#!digrite-racing/c23vw">Check out the latest video and Pictures from Digrite Racing</a>
Jet
Barracuda

Postby Tony » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:04 pm

Well said Jet.
Yes, you can sell your secondhand plans.
No different to selling an old book.
But you cannot reproduce & sell them as the intellectual property does not belong to the purchaser, it belongs to the producer.
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Postby fastguy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:29 pm

8) ok

i ment what tony said

well no offence
fastguy
Fun Kart

Postby Xu1 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:24 pm

My parents don't support any of my hobbys -_-
The computer programs say it won’t :lol:
Xu1
Fun Kart

Postby chrishallett83 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:46 pm

Get some better parents?
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" - Douglas Bader
chrishallett83
Vulture

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:18 pm

chrishallett83 wrote:"Why are people so unkind..."

Harsh Chris - take a deep breath and count to 10 next time hey?
"Without dissapointment you can't appreciate victory" - Memphis Raines

Piranha Mark II - The Phoenix build underway!
Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby chrishallett83 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:27 pm

It was a suggestion, not an order!
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" - Douglas Bader
chrishallett83
Vulture

Return to Hypersprint