Taipan build

Buggy Specific

Taipan build

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:31 pm

Howdy all,

Would a Postie bike motor suffice for a Taipan for the kids? There a a crap load on Pickles this week, I had been looking at the YZF R15 but they get picked up a lot dearer for the extras I don't need. Just need something cheap that Wil do the job pretty much...
Last edited by Mongrel on Thu May 28, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Without dissapointment you can't appreciate victory" - Memphis Raines

Piranha Mark II - The Phoenix build underway!
Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Re: Engine for kids Taipan

Postby Tony » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:55 am

Yes, but the flat horizontal cylinder layout of the CT110 takes up more length.
So you may need to add length to the engine area.
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Postby Mongrel » Sat May 23, 2015 7:12 am

Picked up the power plant for my young blokes Taipan yesterday, 2011 Ninja 250R, only 13,000k's

17 year old kid went over the bars into a tree, he learnt his lesson and I got a deal for $600. Runs sweet, new tyres should see a bit of a return as well as some other bits. Looking forward to ripping in and finishing something, Piranha on hold while I work out how to do the front A Arms properly

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 28, 2015 4:51 pm

Bike is stripped, Taipan currently cut in half to put more space into cockpit, missus in hospital for surgery tomorrow so I have a week off to assist / buggy build...

Looking forward to putting back together!

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Re: Taipan build

Postby Mongrel » Sun May 31, 2015 8:19 pm

Haven't taken any good pictures yet, buggy was picked up for $100 from a mate with a 125cc Honda that looks like it might have been one of the first ones ever made...

Frame was made well, nice changes to the front end, proper edge seat and not much else. I cut it up to add 250mm to the cockpit and 150mm to the engine bay due to the length of the 250

Got a 3 gallon alloy fuel tank from Ebay so after I remake the rear bars and mount the engine I can fit it. Will use the stock radiator to start with, modify the stock exhaust as it runs alongside to sump not under so should work ok.

More pics this week

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:14 pm

Engine mounts complete, the top mounts will prevent sideways movement if there is any...

Only used the bottom mount at the rear, too much mucking about to use both mounts and not sure it is necessary. I also mounted the radiator and started on the exhaust tonight. Will take a few extra bends to get it right but the main pipe runs alongside the sump so that works well.

Will redo the rear roll bars tomorrow and mount all of the ancillary stuff then the fuel tank.

I liked the idea of having movable pedals as I have one short kid and one tall one, will do some work on that too

Cheers

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:35 pm

Was minus 6 this morning, very thankful for my shed heater!

Rear down tubes made up and mounted, ran a straight edge along the front bars to make sure all three are aligned properly

Also took a pic from the front, the guy I bought it from was hanging out with a laser cutter so lots of fancy touches like the Aussie flag in the front

Taking the missus to lunch, she is recovering nicely from surgery so will get her out in the sun before I climb back in this arvo

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Corza19 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:56 pm

Looks good Mongrel 8)

-Corey
"Drop a gear and disappear"
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:10 pm

Gravity fed fuel system mounts. Keeping it that way for simplicity, lots of clamps, tape, straps and levels to get it right. Seems to have clearance and strength, should work well

Still have to make the front mounts, will be useful for mounting coils etc as well

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:50 pm

Finished the tank mount, added some coil mounts and other bits as I started the wiring. Needed to fit the firewall so I have a mount point for all the bits.

Technically not a proper firewall with the hole for the radiator but not going to be racing it. Mounted the seat as well in its new spot, plenty of room to have air flow to the radiator.

Working out what needs to be extended in the wiring, will keep the key ignition but in the engine bay, will run the kill/run and starter on the dash. Back to work tomorrow but a long weekend should get it started up.

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:17 am

Got some bits today to get me going, wiring stuff and a choke cable to replace the stock one.

Spent some time connecting everything but still can't get a crank, reviewing the wiring diagrams and making sure I have everything sorted out. Hopefully get it going tomorrow...

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:51 am

The fiddly bits of getting it all running are taking a lot of time. Went through the wiring diagram to see what I missed and got her to turn over. Put water in the system and found a leak - I had dropped an exhaust nut down the lower pipe and removed it to get the nut out, the o ring hadn't seated properly so now that is fixed too.
Sealed all the fuel fittings, put fuel in her and not starting - I now have a few loose vacuum hoses that either need to be sealed up or connected somewhere I guess, battery on charge for another go today.
I welded washers to the frame so I could tidy up the wiring harness, haven't cut anything out in case it is needed and it is starting to look neater anyway.
Have extended the starter and kill switch to the dash, found the neutral light circuit in the system but not sure if it need power on the other side or ground. In retrospect I think maybe the neutral grounds a powered circuit? Anyone know for sure?
Long weekend and going out for lunch so better get to it!

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:35 pm

Got it all running this morning but I have a question:

It appears there is too much fuel getting to the carbs. I assumed that it would self regulate - just take the gravity feed and use what it needs. It seems that this may not be the case, it is just flowing madly into the carbs. This may have been the issue I had with the old Piranha when it caught fire, popped a backfire with a lot of fuel and then *poof* gone! Am I right in my assumptions? What can I do to help the issue? The picture above pretty much shows the setup with the addition of a filter. It is -AN10 fittings on the tank reduced down to the 6mm required through a tap. Because of the setup I am unclear on how I would effectively run the return line, wouldn't think it would flow that high.

Anybody got any thoughts? It ran sweetly on the bike last week, popping and farting today and not idling. That's when it fires, it feels like it is fighting through the flooding

Cheers

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:50 pm

Making the sliding pedal setup, oh what fun that is!

Copied an idea from Hambone, will run the frame in a track but as they will need to be adjusted during the day I have spring located catches to ensure safety.

Just have to work out the ideal placement for the brake master cylinder so it doesn't hit the steering column and I can mount them to the frame. Once that is all done I can measure the cable lengths and hook it all up.

Also have to mount the harness which means finishing the bracing in the rear hoop.

Cheers

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:57 pm

Had a bit of a brainstorming session on how to do the pedal adjusting and it worked out well

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:28 pm

Had a productive labour intensive day without a huge amount to show for it - gear linkage almost complete though.

Not convinced about the shifter itself, will depend on how much movement it takes to change gear

Cheers

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Corza19 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:07 pm

Looking good mate!
"Drop a gear and disappear"
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:54 pm

Got my throttle and clutch cables, modified the existing mounts to take these cables but use the proper mounting points and spacing

Had to work out where to attach the cables on the sliding pedal assembly, turned up some pieces on the lathe and seems to work ok. Accelerator spring is a little tight, will fab up a throttle stop so we don't stretch the cables too much

Just need to fit the clutch cable and that part is done. Then fab up a bracket for the brake caliper, run the brake line (pinched from Piranha), fit the chain and she should be right to drive.

Want to take it for a run then will add all bracing, proper mounts, panels and paint later.

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:55 pm

Floor pan is mounted, bracket for the caliper made and will bleed the brakes this week.

Need to secure the axles properly and get a chain made up, having trouble getting the stock chain to fit the sprocket, it may not be the 520 it is supposed to be...

Pics soon!

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Return to Taipan