Performance Plus!

Re: Dylan's ZX14 Cams spec cuda

Postby Simon1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:55 pm

How is the car going for you?
Simon1
Taipan

Postby Dylan_ZX-Cuda » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:12 pm

havent had it out mate, problems with the electric steering. Currently working on a new programmable electric system for steering with future expansion options for speed sensor etc!!
Attachments
20131030_215001.jpg
20131030_215001.jpg (101.25 KiB) Viewed 5864 times
Those whith Golf Balls Golf...
Those with Real Balls Race"

Barracuda build 99.99% finished :)
Dylan_ZX-Cuda
Trax II

Postby Simon1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:03 pm

If you get sick of stuffing around with electric I have a good fortin rack. 8) . Getting ready to cut the front off mine, so ill be changing to a new type.
Simon1
Taipan

Postby Dylan_ZX-Cuda » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:07 pm

you doinmajor mods to get the steering geometry right?? What was wrong with the fortin??

Dylan_ZX-Cuda
Trax II

Postby Simon1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:31 pm

Fortin Rack worked perfectly. Changing the front end to something of my own design to solve some other problems I'm having and I'm swapping to a rack (Howe 2.0 sand) that has tie rods to the front of the spindles. The Fortin is for tie rods to the rear of the spindles, like a standard barracuda setup.

Simon1
Taipan

Postby Dylan_ZX-Cuda » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:37 pm

wow looks the goods mate. was looking through your other photos and noticed the rear diff setup. What brand is it??

cheers dylan

Dylan_ZX-Cuda
Trax II

Postby Simon1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:41 pm

Not sure which one mate? I done a design for a gearbox that I was thinking about having a go at making? Or I also done some drawings to do the quaife diff conversion?
Simon1
Taipan

Postby Dylan_ZX-Cuda » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:47 pm

new design looks sick but!! have you gotten sick of driving already?? haha

Dylan_ZX-Cuda
Trax II

Postby Simon1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:49 pm

Not sick of driving - sick of fixing things. My aim is to have something I drive off the trailer and then drive on again at the end of the meet. Hopefully these mods will get me there.
Simon1
Taipan

Postby Dylan_ZX-Cuda » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:52 pm

yeh its a bit that way hey. i think ive finally got mine to a pritty solid state though!!

Dylan_ZX-Cuda
Trax II

Postby Simon1 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:43 am

Good stuff. From what I have seen, reliability is just as important (maybe more so?) that outright speed and driver ability. Miss a lap, and your in a bit of trouble.
Simon1
Taipan

Postby Tony » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:47 am

Strange how you are having issues.
Where someone like Hamish Lawlor has won the NZ offroad championship two years running in a Barracuda of almost stock design.
Could be too much weight?
I know Australian drivers tend to state that the NZ conditions are different to Australian conditions, tracks, terrain etc.
But if you look at races like the Taupo 1000.
1000 kilometers over two days in terrain from sand, mud, tree roots & heavily rutted tracks, the conditions are just as demanding.
Not being critical here, its just that the stock Barracuda design, even very close to the recreation chassis & suspension has proven to be a multiple race winner.
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Postby suparoo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:29 pm

Dylan - what electric power steer did you use ? I'm looking at using a unit from "Unisteer" it says that its good for a vechile up to
4500lbs. I guess the rate of the rack is what gives the electric units a hard time. Apparently once they reach there duty cycle they shut done for for a while until cool. I'm hoping that since this unit is for such a large vechile the duty cycle maybe higher.

This unit does say to fuse it at 30 amps ! Not sure how a motorcycle alternator will cope with that when a lot of lock to lock racing is going on.
Last edited by suparoo on Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suparoo
Registered Member

Postby suparoo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:30 pm

suparoo
Registered Member

Postby Dylan_ZX-Cuda » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:44 pm

hey mate,

im using an electric steering unit out of a vauxhall corsa(in aus a holden astra). due to it coming out of the car ive had problems with the plug in usb unit that bypasses the speed sensor etc on it. but have now almost finished a custom wiring setup with testing to come.

well for memory mine is 50amp, but yes does take its toll on the battery as im running reverse with a starter as well!!

cheers dylan

Dylan_ZX-Cuda
Trax II

Postby Simon1 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:03 pm

Too much weight? Possibly, but I don't think I could have a built a CAMS spec buggy much lighter. I haven't weighed the car, but I guess it would be about 600kg.

I'm having trouble with chewing out aluminium spacers, bent stub axles, bent bush tubes, slightly worn rod ends allowing to much wheel movement, interferences (mainly due to shock selection), bump steer and not enough ground clearance at full bump. At the moment I'm spending more time fixing the car rather than driving.

Good on Hamish, I'm glad the car is working well for him, but I think I need to make some change to improve the cars reliability. Just hope I'm not going backwards!
Simon1
Taipan

Postby Lenny » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:20 pm

Hey Dylan,
I had problems with my electric power steering in the first couple of races, thinking it was the unit, I changed it for another and same problem, so I thought it has to be the controller. I bought it from Don Giles ( Rally Wizz), nice guy to deal with and very helpful when I emailed him asking whether I could get another controller to try. He was pretty confident it wasn't the controller though.

In the end I mounted the ECU on a 10mm block of aluminium and rubber mounted that, then fitted a computer fan to the underside. It doesn't look pretty, but it was only as a trial for the next race meet in a few days. I managed to complete the 180km meeting without it playing up, so I hope I'm on the right track. I have also put a switch on the dash which I can kill the power to the unit as mine would sometimes lock up and you couldn't turn the wheel. Scary at speed.

There is a company in Brisbane called Ultimate Power steering, that claim to specialize in EPAS systems and have competition ECU's and controllers. They also have complete systems, have a look on their web site, but they are not cheap. They are agents for DC Electronics who make the aftermarket electronics for these units. If you are just after a controller I would try Don Giles.

Just a few thoughts mate, as I know how frustrating these issuses become.

Cheers,
Lenny.
Lenny
Registered Member

Postby Simon1 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:08 pm

Dylan, are you still around?

How is the car going? Entered any races yet? Won any 8) ?
Simon1
Taipan

Postby Dylan_ZX-Cuda » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:51 pm

hey mate,
yeh stilll around pal. Got a new toy just before christmas so time has been spent elsewhere atm. Also just finished my apprenticeship,with that comes a bit more brass razoo which will allow me to get back into it. But im currently waiting for a mate to finish etching my pcb for the new steering controller so just have to sit tight till then and im ready to roll.
So how are all your modifications going? have u got yours back up and running yet?
Attachments
20131124_142756.jpg
20131124_142756.jpg (163.59 KiB) Viewed 5320 times

Dylan_ZX-Cuda
Trax II

Postby Simon1 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:15 pm

That's the go.

Got most of the major stuff done, just all the piddling stuff now. Aligning the wheels, bolting all the panels back up, redoing the cv's etc, etc. I changed the design of the rear hubs to microstubs and put outboard brakes on at the same time as the front end change, so its taking me a bit longer than expected.

Wouldn't mind figuring out a way to get some more oomf out of the starter reverse for this year. Need some more reduction! First race is mid ex month, so I think I will run out of time for that.

Keep us informed how it goes for you this year.
Simon1
Taipan

PreviousNext

Return to Barracuda