Camel's Barracuda Build

Performance Plus!

Postby Camel » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:13 pm

Hi Artie, wondered here you got to!

The critical part is the finish on the die surface where it meets the tube. Any imperfections will damage/dent/distort the tube. If we can get it 90% of the way there I'd be thrilled, then I could mount it in the four jaw chuck and machine it smooth.

Doing it from bar stock is time consuming. The dies Jet had made up were expensive and a couple of them weren't round (in cross section) and resulted in twisting of the tube and considerable deformation.

The sliding dies aren't too much of a problem. I'm maching them from aluminium. I've got the mill bits and even a 38mm drill bit!
---
Gen II Hayabusa - ECU HACKED - 300kmh+ No 2nd and 3rd gear restrictions, Modified maps, Wideband datalogger
http://www.wasuperlites.com
Camel
Piranha

Postby artie on edge » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:54 pm

Ok, just been to visit my "partner in crime" and discussed the cast iron issue. We're willing to give it a go.

The first thing we'll do is "ingot" some scrap. Does two things, proves the foundry can actually do it and provides us with clean material for the final cast.

Well do this first and then if that goes ok well get you to supply us a pattern drawing from which well make a foam model.

If all goes ok, you pay the freight from east to west coast?

One day when I get over there we could meet at edge and drink all Tonys beer...... sounds good to me... probably not to Tony tho.....
artie on edge
Trax II

Postby David Reid » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:23 pm

So hey Camel can I start by ask'n Mate are you actually gonna be building this damn buggy or what? I keep look'n thinking something fantastic is gonna happen, but by the same token the Busa looks sweet... :shock: Anyway come on get to the gett'n Bud!!
VTR1000 fire storm Cuda waiting to be given Life....
David Reid
Taipan

Postby Camel » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:23 am

Thanks mate, Yeah don't I bloody wish I could get stuck into it! Fortunately/Unfortunately I'm on a 24 day on/18 day off roster, you'd think that would work out great for buggy building, but the 24 days drag and the 18 days fly.

But the client has fallen to sh#t with the world economic decline. I got my marching orders and finish up this week. Not much work around now and a lot of people looking.

At least I'll have time to work on the buggy!
---
Gen II Hayabusa - ECU HACKED - 300kmh+ No 2nd and 3rd gear restrictions, Modified maps, Wideband datalogger
Camel
Piranha

Postby Jet » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:34 pm

Sorry to hear that Camel, thats not good at all.
<a href="http://www.digrite.com.au/racing#!digrite-racing/c23vw">Check out the latest video and Pictures from Digrite Racing</a>
Jet
Barracuda

Postby David Reid » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:27 pm

Gee Mate Sorry to hear that, that blows. Hope you find another job quick, or what ever, just hope it all works out for ya..
David Reid
Taipan

Postby Camel » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:01 pm

I could always shovel sh#t! Whatever pays my mortgage and keeps food on the table for the family. Heck, I might even keep the equity in my home ahead of the plummeting house prices!
---
Camel
Piranha

Postby David Reid » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:24 pm

Ain't that the truth, although I wouldn't hold my breth my house has gone down, I had it valued a couple of days ago and it's droped by about two hundred thousand dollars. Anyway keep ya chin up brother.
David Reid
Taipan

Postby Camel » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:53 pm

Faaaark!
---
Camel
Piranha

Postby Cpo » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:31 pm

Camel sorry to hear about your employment woes.
I have been self employed for 16 years and I am worried.
I have had many days where the phone has not rung at all I find myself ringing myself to make sure the phones are working.
I have had to let go my first employee 2 weeks ago.
In April I was desperately seeking qualified employees now I am letting them go.
I will be last man standing but I dont want it to get to that situation.
Anyone want to buy a Cuda ...... never thrashed, crashed, allways had all 4 wheels on the ground and only driven on weekends. :roll:
Bushpig turns 5 in March gets a makeover.
Cpo
Taipan

Postby oddy59 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:35 pm

You forgot "Only driven to Church!" :o

Sorry to hear that Camille! Seriously Mate :cry:

Can ya swing/handle a Weedwhacker?
Trying to wear out BEFORE I rust out!..........Now just trying to getouta Bed! Image
oddy59
Piranha

Postby Camel » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:40 pm

oddy59 wrote:Can ya swing/handle a Weedwhacker?

Now that would be something.

Having to watch the Master Lothario in action! :shock:

CPO, I reckon a lot of what is happening in Australia is largely due to John Maynard Keyne's 'Animal Spirits'. If the dickhead duo Rudd and Swan hadn't done their best to talk the economy down we'd be in a better position now. I think a lot of larger companies used that as an excuse to start laying off people en masse.

As for the predicament this company is in, well that was a classic case of greed and piss-poor timing (read piss-poor management). They had a 'merger' which was nothing more than a pre-agreed takeover with the 'losing' CEO getting a massive lump sum payment. He then got back at the board and incoming CEO by dumping his stock. Shareholders (rightly or wrongly) thought he had inside information and was bailing ship. That's when the run on the shareprice began.

Result? Another case of an Australian company smashed and the employees and shareholders losing out while the pigs walk away with the money. Thousands of people here are now unemployed, many of whom have no other employer in the country to turn to.

Then there are the tens of thousands of Australian employees who are also out on their arse with little in the way of job prospects.

We are all going to pay for that, and as usual small businesses and working families will be the losers. f#&k! If I believed the Labor Party stood for the worker I might be tempted to join them!

Those high-flying pigs are too fat to get too far. I hope they suffer.

One Very Angry Camel
---
Camel
Piranha

Postby hoover » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:22 am

That’s really bad news Camel, extremely sorry to here that you lost your job, hope things turn out for you and the family in the near future; and to any others that have the same woes.

I know you like and understand Motor Bikes, and, unfortunately the economic situation lends itself badly to starting up a bike shop, but, it you were interested and needed a change there is one for sale over here in SA. It’s wrecker, the biggest one in SA and has been on the market for over a year or so with a nice clean W/S.

P.s. maybe some people could pay you for your expertise and engine work on there buggies for a while to keep things going.

All the best

Hoover
hoover
Trax II

Postby Cpo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:50 pm

Yes I agree with you about the government talking down the economy. You only have to look at the banks who reported billions in profits having to put off employees because of the goverment says things are bad and the government would understand there has to be job losses.
On the subject of banks I received a letter telling me that my account fees have changed and the new fees will be a saving for me.
The new fees are 25% higher than the old fees maybe I missed something.

And lastly the media is def no help as well but they say they only report the facts that make sensational news.
Bushpig turns 5 in March gets a makeover.
Cpo
Taipan

Postby chrishallett83 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:18 pm

Funny that when the economy takes a bit of a dip and every media outlet in the country starts screaming "We're going into a depression!" - everybody gets out of the share market, values plummet, corporations lay off untold numbers of employees, all of a sudden we're heading for a depression... And yet, CEOs still get paid their $25 million performance bonuses because profits haven't fallen quite as far as was projected.

Ever since I was in primary school, I always wanted a job as a bank CEO. Two meetings a month and a wallet so fat you need a forklift to carry the thing... That, or a fighter jet pilot...
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" - Douglas Bader
chrishallett83
Vulture

Postby hoover » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:08 pm

I Agree, But and a big BUT, Share Holders what good profitable returns on there money, and “do” they complain if not, so a big fat CEO comes marching in the door and says yep I’ll make you more money but it will be at a cost of $20 mill Dollars Retirement money for Ye to do it.

CEO’s.

CEO gives himself big retirement fund, Share Holders Permitting, and, there’s plenty that don’t agree.

CEO e.g. (Coles) sacks hundreds of workers to gain millions profit, and importantly to fatten his wallet for retirement fund.

Share Holder’s

Now Share Holders happy with small to bigger returns.

Now Share Holders complain Food and other Cole’s owned Stake Holding’s goods Prices have raised drastically.

Well Share Holders you can’t have your cake and eat it to; how about telling those Fat CEO’s to get F*&^%d.

Right or Wrong that’s the way I always seem to interpret it.
hoover
Trax II

Postby Camel » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:48 pm

Thanks for your words of support guys. I'll find something. It's a small industry though. I was lined up for a nice oil and gas job in Kuwait, then I found out that a certain yank whom I can't stand (the feeling is mutual) is in a senior position there! Bugger!

Nicely put Hoover. But don't forget it's the board who makes the decision on the CEO's pay, (and who is in the CEO's chair). If you look at the various boards around the country you tend to see the same old faces. The same old fuckin' rip off club.

Rip off the shareholder.

Take 'this' company for example. In simple terms this is what happened. Imagine you're a shareholder, for them it is like this:

You have two rental properties in an apartment complex. One worth say $400,000 and the other $450,000. Both have tenants who pay promptly and completely. The rent you receive (dividends) covers the interest on the loans you took to buy the units(shares). Your plan is to have the units paid off so you can retire and have an income from the rent. If things get bad you can sell one or both of the units.

Then, without your consent, the two rental companies you manage the units through come along (the board) and say "oh, we've sold your two units and bought one big one. The money we got for your two units covers the cost of the new one.

You then find that the manager from one rental company paid the manager of the other rental company a huge commission to piss off.

So now you have one unit worth $850,000.

But guess what! It hasn't got a tenant! The new unit is too big and not quite finished. So there's no rent (dividends) being paid.

You can't afford it so you place it on the market.

But guess what! The value of your $850,000 unit starts falling. Falling. Falling. No-one will buy it. They hear rumours that it's shonky and poorly managed by the rental company. The price keeps dropping but no-one will buy it.

Suddenly you find that your investment (in the space of a few months) is now worth $50,000!

To compound the matter, the rental company steps back in and takes the unit off the market.

The drop from $850,000 to $50,000 is almost unbelievable. But that is the comparative fall of the share price of 'this' particular company.

Okay it's over simplified, but the comparison is legit. The real story about what has happened has also been revealed and the shareholders are incensed.

No names please!
---
Camel
Piranha

Postby artie on edge » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:54 pm

Howdy Mark, mate sorry to hear of your situation. Did they also say to you (in the same breath), Merry Christmas?

My experience (with redundancy training, its part of what I do for a crust) is that a good work ethic and a little intelligence will almost certainly ensure that you land on your feet.

Although at the time of the bad news, this isnt always apparent.

Good luck.
artie on edge
Trax II

Postby Camel » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:52 pm

I just wanna get drunk!

Redundancy training? You'll be in demand. I've actually got a dark past - in HR! I can't help but think of all those people under australian workplace agreements who might not be aware of the little clause that allows companies to give you the boot without paying redundancies.

That would be a handy little clause for them right now.

Not very handy when you're on the receiving end.

I feel like Robert DeNiro's character in 'The Mission'. Trying to redeem his own dark past.

My problem was that I had a conscience. There's an awful lot of people in the discipline (HR) who don't.
---
Camel
Piranha

Postby chrishallett83 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:36 pm

Camel wrote:I just wanna get drunk!

I'll PM ya my address if you want! Tomorrow and Tuesday I've got fuck-all to do but get pissed and wait for the Telstra man to show up and fix my crappy phone line!
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" - Douglas Bader
chrishallett83
Vulture

PreviousNext

Return to Barracuda