Camel's Barracuda Build

Performance Plus!

Camel's Barracuda Build

Postby Camel » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:32 am

Finished the FunKart, the plans for the Barrayoota two seater and the plans for the Barracuda 'R' Type 2. So while Jet Solidworks the two seater plans I'm building the Type 2.

Finished welding the base frame and bent up the rollbar and hiprail.

As outlined in the "Perth Barracuda Builds" thread, the base and nose rails are constructed from 40x40x2.4mm square section and the structural barwork from 38.1mm CDS.

Almost all components and hardware are purchased and ready to fit. Still need to decide on rear shocks.

Donor engine is from my 2008 K8 Hayabusa. I bought the K8 as a repairable write-off at auction. I'm keeping the bike as it's little effort to swap the engine from buggy to bike, (though I'll probably source another donk as more scarred K8's come onto the market). I've managed to obtain all the parts to bring it back to as-new for just under $2000, (including new michelin dual-compound 200cm wide rear tyre). Here's some snaps from the weekend. I'm still waiting for the subframe and new-unused standard mufflers to arrive.

The bike only has 3000 km on it and runs like a dream. Actually, it runs like a demon possesed! I rode it round to Connor's joint to warmup the new rear tyre. We live in the hills with sweet FA neighbours, so the lack of mufflers didn't stir up too many people :shock: I wound the throttle on leaving Connor's and hit 200 before I realised just how fast I was going - and that was on the twisties!

Anyway, while I've got Jet's Busa sitting on the slab in the Clean Room I thought I might use it to make up a test-jig for busa motors. Something they can be bolted to for test running and tuning.

Looking forward to getting back to Australia to get this build finished.

Cheers,

Camel
---
Gen II Hayabusa - ECU HACKED - 300kmh+ No 2nd and 3rd gear restrictions, Modified maps, Wideband datalogger
http://www.wasuperlites.com
Camel
Piranha

Postby Jet » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:11 am

The bike looks amazing, i would be so tempted to leave it as be and buy a younger motor for the 'Cuda.
Did you get the bender finished Mark?
<a href="http://www.digrite.com.au/racing#!digrite-racing/c23vw">Check out the latest video and Pictures from Digrite Racing</a>
Jet
Barracuda

Re: Camel's Barracuda Build

Postby trojan » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:33 pm

What's the epitome of torn?

Camel wrote:I'm keeping the bike as it's little effort to swap the engine from buggy to bike...

Hurry up already!
Don't ya hate it when you put your heart into something only to have political c**ts who've contributed little by comparison, knife you in the back?
trojan
Piranha

Postby Camel » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:45 pm

C'mon Trojan! Look into those big dark nacelles and try to tell me you'd be happy to cannibalise it!
---
Gen II Hayabusa - ECU HACKED - 300kmh+ No 2nd and 3rd gear restrictions, Modified maps, Wideband datalogger
Camel
Piranha

Postby trojan » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:56 pm

C'mon yourself, get the fix-it-up bits ;) how can you not?!?! ... and get another one, this time get one with ratshit pretty bits and save yourself the pain :lol:
Don't ya hate it when you put your heart into something only to have political c**ts who've contributed little by comparison, knife you in the back?
trojan
Piranha

Postby Tony » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:15 pm

Fark.........it's only a motorbike, get a grip !

It has no other use other than to be "run in" by a temporary Australian & then donated kindly to buggy builders for more serious endevours.
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Postby Camel » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:56 pm

SMITE THE HERETIC!

:evil:

Camel
---
Camel
Piranha

Postby Tony » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:35 pm

Damn, I knew the Inquisition would catch up with me sooner or later.
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Postby Jurus » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:57 am

Hi Camel,
do You now any good websites where I can find some good technical infromations about hayabusa? and other question about ecu's, I usally use a haltech E8 ecu for engines which I prepare, but probably there are some "piggy back" ECU designed for hayabusa, and it will be much easier way to start play with hayabusa engine for my buggy using this kind of ecu
Jurus
Raven

Postby Camel » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:26 am

Hi Jurus,

I agree, if you can get a close-enough map, a Haltech or other aftermarket ECU is the best solution. Personally, I'd love to fit a variable length intake manifold to a hayabusa engine and control it via ECU, similar to the new V-Max set up. Could you imagine how powerful the Hayabusa engine would be then!

As far as tech info goes, there are some obscure forums where such info lays. But it depends on whether you want it for a Generation I or Generation II (2008) Hayabusa. Also, there was an upgrade to the ECU in 2002. Universally, people swear by the Powercommanders, but because of the way the Suzuki engineers designed the Gen II software, you don't need a PC, the Gen II software is very forgiving.

If it is Gen I info you are after, there is some fantastic work being done out there. Guys removing all the 'glue' from the hardware to identify electronic components and others who have decrypted the software. I can't get the links at the moment. I'll try and get them this evening for you.

Camel
---
Camel
Piranha

Postby Jurus » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:30 pm

I've bought a hayabusa in USA and it's 2003 year,
http://s411.photobucket.com/albums/pp19 ... -008-1.jpg but I'll recieve it in four weeks so maybe there is some kind of modificated software, but now I would like to get some information about hayabusa because I never work with this kind of engine, very useful is Your post about haybusa engine, do You now where could I find a hayabusa (2003) service manual?
Last edited by Jurus on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jurus
Raven

Postby Jet » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:40 pm

Tony Owns Conners Busa now.
<a href="http://www.digrite.com.au/racing#!digrite-racing/c23vw">Check out the latest video and Pictures from Digrite Racing</a>
Jet
Barracuda

Postby Camel » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Bugger....... Oh well, it's another K8 for me then. Just have to work harder and smarter.
---
Camel
Piranha

Postby Camel » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:37 pm

Jurus,

congratulations on the Busa buy!

Here's a link to the 1999-2000 manual - it will be okay for the 2003 Busa.

http://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/showthread.php?tid=6930

Is your Busa engine coming with the stock computer? If yes, stick with that for now until you have the buggy finished and running properly. It puts out bulk power in standard form.

Cheers,

Camel
---
Camel
Piranha

Postby Jurus » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:34 am

Thanks a lot Camel,
I'll register today on a forum so I could downlad a manual soon,
Well, I don't now anything about condition of this hayabusa, I only now that it's possible to run engine but if there any modification I'll now when it arrived, now You can see only longer rear arm,I've paid for it 40k $ in USA, have You any expirience with electronic gearshift in hayabusa? I'm thinking about it, I drove some cars with this feature and its realy nice. What's Your opinion about it?
Jurus
Raven

Postby Tony » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:06 pm

I have a Translogic electric shift set up for my Busa.
We have set it up & run it through the gears, its a very fast shift.
Although I have not driven it yet.
In my opinion, a solinoid shift would be OK for short sprints such as drag racing, because of the poor duty cycle of solinoids & their high power draw.
I think the Translogic, (High speed Linier motor) is a better way to go.
It has a huge amount of force, so much so that we reduced the shift lever down to 20mm length.
Quick tap on the button & it will do the half shift to neutral.
Tony
Administrator

Postby Bildo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:09 pm

Whats one of those setups worth Tony?

It seems that there are more and more people becomming pretty hard-core about these buggies.
WHICH IS GREAT TO SEE!!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari
Bildo
Trax II

Postby Tony » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:10 pm

I think the Translogic is around 550.00 GBP.
Tony
Administrator

Postby Jurus » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:07 pm

Hi Tony,
how did You resolve gear steering? On the steering wheel or gearshift lever, does Translogic has a "cut off" system build in? and by the way what's The Edge rack&pinion steering ratio?
Jurus
Jurus
Raven

Postby The Architect » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:57 pm

Bildo wrote:It seems that there are more and more people becomming pretty hard-core about these buggies.
WHICH IS GREAT TO SEE!!

I think its worthy of a new thread in beer garden....
no one cares mate
The Architect
Piranha

Next

Return to Barracuda