VTR 1000 Barracuda

Performance Plus!

Postby Hamish » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:02 pm

I wasnt planning on using the rear mount. Built the buggy to plans, and the fit was really tight. I added 100mm to the engine bay so the engine is snug but theres plenty of space. Using this bolt could be the best way to align the PIRCV rear end though. Hadnt really thought of that before. I think the engine is in the right place (at least to the mm). I used a laser level to get it spot on level and true. It may be a fraction of a mm either side but i have a few washers between the mounts and the engine so i can shim it from side to side.

As for spots to drive, Dads got a few acres down at a place called nimmitabel. Its about 30 mins out of cooma. thatll be my main thrashing ground, but i think i might hit up the dunes near hawks nest (although i think its illeagle).

Dont really know anywhere near sydney though. Anyone have a good spot?
It would have been extremely dangerous... except for the fact he was drinking at the same time.
Hamish
Trax II

Postby David Reid » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:22 pm

You could go up near Newcastle, God I can't think of the name of the place now, but its sand dunes near the beach, that's where I'll be taking mine atleast once!
VTR1000 fire storm Cuda waiting to be given Life....
David Reid
Taipan

Postby Sean (Foggy) Leggett » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:51 pm

Do you know what? we were in the same boat not that long ago and we have now found somewhere that we can call home! What you guys really need to do is get together down there and work with each other to find a running venue!!! If we can do it up here I am sure you can as well!!! Its a lot of hard work but at the end of the day you don't spend thousands of dollars building these things to let them rust in the shed because you don't have a place to run them!
Good luck and if we can help in any way just let us know!!
Cheers,
Foggy
ZX14 powered CudaX Image

Sold!!!!!
http://www.dreeme.com
http://www.seqmbc.com
Sean (Foggy) Leggett
Piranha

Postby dakab444 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:52 pm

Stockton Beach - You can go as long as you have conditional registration. I did check the RTA website and look at it and it might be possible, depends on what you reigister it as and how flexible their interpretaion is.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/publicationss ... 070939.pdf
dakab444
Trax II

Postby David Reid » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:32 pm

Yeah that's it Dave Stockton, very good! I see the Pollies got onto it and are gunna wring the fun out of it!! I suppose they do have to cover their arses, cause there are a few that will do what they're not suppose to and stuff it for everyone. Or roll and hurt themselves, (not taking the piss here Dave) and look to sue. :roll:
VTR1000 fire storm Cuda waiting to be given Life....
David Reid
Taipan

Postby Hamish » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:20 pm

Hi everyone, been a while since i last posted, but works really bogged me down.
Im about to start fabricating my fuel tank, and im going to use the original fuel pump from the bike. Its an injected engine so its a high pressure pump. Does anyone know if it needs to be mounted flat like it was originally, or can i mout it vertically. Itll be easier to do vertically, but dont know if itll work.
It would have been extremely dangerous... except for the fact he was drinking at the same time.
Hamish
Trax II

Re: VTR 1000 Barracuda

Postby Hamish » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:41 pm

Long time since posting, but the build is still ticking along slowly.

Work has died down, so im only needed 2 days a week for the next month or so. Bad for money, but great for buggy building. Iv pretty much finished the frame except for a few brackets, and the only major work i have left are 4 suspension arms, and the fuel tank. the rest are all those fiddly 20 min jobs that end up taking a day each.

Ill try and get some photos up soon, but the chassis is at a mates place, so its a bit difficult to just duck out with the camera.
Hamish
Trax II

Postby Camel » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:39 pm

Good to hear you're still persevering.

Bummer about the work. When you've got the money you haven't got the time. But when you've got the time.....
---
Gen II Hayabusa - ECU HACKED - 300kmh+ No 2nd and 3rd gear restrictions, Modified maps, Wideband datalogger
http://www.wasuperlites.com
Camel
Piranha

Postby Murph » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:19 pm

Hey Hamish, How's the build going? What part of sydney are you in? I am in the eastern suburbs. I have Dan Evans VTR 1000 cuda here if you want to have a look at it for reference or even some inspiration to help get yours finished. Just PM me we can sort something out.

Murph.
Keep it on the rubber and off the roof.
Murph
Raven

Re:

Postby Camel » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:38 pm

Hamish wrote:Im about to start fabricating my fuel tank, and im going to use the original fuel pump from the bike. Its an injected engine so its a high pressure pump. Does anyone know if it needs to be mounted flat like it was originally, or can i mout it vertically. Itll be easier to do vertically, but dont know if itll work.

Hamish,

mount it vertically, at the bottom of the tank. The pump relies on fuel circulating through it to keep the windings cool. Best way to mount it is to weld a can/cylinder to the front of the tank with the flat part level. There's photos around here somewhere....

Camel
---
Gen II Hayabusa - ECU HACKED - 300kmh+ No 2nd and 3rd gear restrictions, Modified maps, Wideband datalogger
http://www.wasuperlites.com
Camel
Piranha

Postby Hamish » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:03 pm

Wow, so a year since my last post here. pretty pathetic huh.

I was away for work, with my cuda frame safely stored at a relatives underground carpark in their block of flats. When i got back i found id stashed it directly under a leaking roof. Looks like i have a week or so of grinding rust out and replacing a few tubes that are flaking with rust. think i learnt my lesson this time. Just get it finished
Hamish
Trax II

Postby Toyz@Large » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:25 pm

Thats a pissa
As light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak
http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x87/ ... a%20Build/
Toyz@Large
Trax II

Postby DeRat » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:42 pm

Wow tough luck Hamish... use it as motovation to get your Baby finished mate... sitting your backside in a Running Cuda & pushing your right foot thru the floor is a buzz that should be experienced.... Just Awesome!
“Face it, Love me or hate me, I'm going to give you a damn good show and drive the wheels off it.”
DeRat
Taipan

Postby Hamish » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:21 am

well, sh#t happens, but if i stop to think about it its just wasting time. I'v ground/polished pretty much all the rust out now, with a nice new layer of fresh grey primer for protection. not making that mistake again.

Since then i'v also got the front suspension mounts in, the steering box and seat slides in. progress is slow but at least theres progress for a change, better than going backwards like it was when i picked the frame up.

so the main plan is finish all the suspension and everything off, then fuel tank, headers/exhaust, then details to get it finished. most of the arms are already made so it shouldnt be too big a job to get some wheels on it. (then again, im sure it will be a big task)

just a few questions:

bumpstops: are they needed? i cant really see any buggies with them fitted, but i spose there not really obvious in photos. I saw a great setup on a photo of a green cuda (not sure whos it was) where the bumpstop was mounted above the upper rear swingarm. looked pretty solid and a good setup

pannelling: most of my driving will just be on dirt/gravel roads, doubt ill get into the dunes too much. how much of the buggy do i need to close in so i dont get showered in dirt and gravel? i know its a pretty subjective question but i have no idea and any help is good to know.

sandblasting and powdercoat: is it really worth the cost or is a good spray job just as good. i know powdercoat is really tough, but it all adds up and money is a bit tight at the moment. the grey primer made the whole thing look pretty good and im tempted just to spray it.

oh, and to top it off, iv finally decided on a color scheme. gunmetal grey for the chassis and tubing, plain alloy panels, and some nice blue accents to top it all off (like on my king air shocks)

photos to come.
Hamish
Trax II

Postby Sean (Foggy) Leggett » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:53 am

Sounds good Hamish, re the bump stops I would not bother just another expense you really don't need, unless you are going to be doing massive jumps where you will be grounding out all the time...... then that's another story! If you set up your shock towers properly in the right place you should be fine.
Paneling.... I find it is part practical and part aesthetic, the main areas you want to close in are the nose and the sides of the cockpit, however the paneling on the rear can also serve as a scoop to direct air to your radiator and so on! I used Lexan sheeting as it allows you to paint the inside so it stops scratching as rocks hit it, not only that but it is super strong (just don't get petrol all over it...hey Raty!! :wink: it makes it brittle and it can crack) Its very ply able, cheap and looks fantastic!
Here is a picture of mine using the lexan paneling!

There is lots more pictures on my build thread if your interested!

Painting or powder coating This is an age old question that has been debated a thousand times before and probably a thousand times again, there are good points and bad points for both, you just have to weigh up the benefit/cost factor and make you own mind up on that one! :D

Good luck and have fun!!

Cheers,
Foggy
Last edited by Sean (Foggy) Leggett on Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZX14 powered CudaX Image

Sold!!!!!
http://www.dreeme.com
http://www.seqmbc.com
Sean (Foggy) Leggett
Piranha

Postby Hamish » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks for the idea Foggy, lexan sheeting is an awesome idea. I actually have a sample of it sitting in front of me right now (about 1mm) that I had for another project. Apparantly you can sew through it so it would make awesome windows on a soft top, not that thats really all that relevent. Also never thought about painting the inside, would make the finish nice and smooth, and scratches wouldnt effect it.

as for bumpstops, i thought if people were using them there would be more written about it.

by the way ive been drooling over your ride for quite a while now. good to know the tricks to make mine look half as good. thanks for the help
Hamish
Trax II

Postby Hamish » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:28 pm

PICKIES!!!

Im putting the fuel tank behind the seat. Total capacity is about 19 L. Pretty happy with how it turned out

Hamish
Trax II

Postby Hamish » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:07 pm

just went to attach the front suspension.

The 1/2" rod ends iv got dont fit in the suspension arm. thought i might have cross threaded it or something but its all good. It screws about halfway in one end of the insert but not the other. I'd just retap the hole but dont have a 1/2" left handed UNF tap and im guessing it would be hard and expensive to get. Any ideas on how to open up the thread just a tad to get the sucker in?
Hamish
Trax II

Postby Jet » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:13 pm

<a href="http://www.digrite.com.au/racing#!digrite-racing/c23vw">Check out the latest video and Pictures from Digrite Racing</a>
Jet
Barracuda

Postby Hamish » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:48 pm

Jet wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com.au/L-H-UNF-1-2-TAP-SET-incTaper-Intermaite-Plug-Tap-/400166356137?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5d2bc604a9

done...

thanks for the link mate. always forget how good ebay is
Hamish
Trax II

PreviousNext

Return to Barracuda