DIRTCOMP Photo shoot

Performance Plus!

DIRTCOMP Photo shoot

Postby Dramatica » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:12 am

Last edited by Dramatica on Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dramatica
Administrator

Postby monty » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:14 am

got to be happy with that pic
when we when into edge on tuesday it was on its trailer about to leave
at 12,500rpm
no one can hear you scream

piranha zx10 ninja
monty
Taipan

Postby Doug Heim » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:00 am

Nice Pic... Who is driving? The pic reminds me... Tony do you have any Edge stickers along with some of the Barracuda stickers on the A-arms and Roof top. If not thats cool... Awesome Pic!!!
Doug Heim
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Camel » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:05 pm

I'm keen to see this article, although I do believe that from a marketing viewpoint a few sidebar articles on homebuilds would enrichen the story. They'd also demonstrate to readers that the cuda experience is within the reach of "joe average" thus increasing potential sales for Tony. Furthermore, it would give an insight into the supportive nature of the edge buggy building fraternity and assure potential builders that they they won't be left on their own and can ask 'stupid' questions and also get first hand support from a new set of mates.
---
Gen II Hayabusa - ECU HACKED - 300kmh+ No 2nd and 3rd gear restrictions, Modified maps, Wideband datalogger
http://www.wasuperlites.com
Camel
Piranha

Postby Tony » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:43 pm

Doug, yes its me driving.
One of over 150 pictures taken.
I'm sorting out a lot of them this weekend to see what is useable.

Yes I do have some of the Cuda stickers for the arms etc.
Send me an email.

I don't think it will be in the next issue, maybe the one after, the editor is also planning an article on the TORC club as well, so the two, (if not combined) articles will go hand in hand.
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Postby ResidentPsycho » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:28 pm

Thats one nice pic!!! how far did you travel in the air tony?
Anymore pics you want to share with us :wink:
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it Image
ResidentPsycho
Taipan

Postby Doug Heim » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:32 pm

I agree. you should share more so we can help you decide 8)
Doug Heim
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Tony » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:40 pm

More pictures coming next week after I have reviewed them all.
It travelled around 4 metres in a forward direction while in the air.
This was travelling down a really narrow & boggy sand track & leaping out onto the main limestone road, it was only a small hump.

So I found it hard to get any real speed on the sand track, (no more than about 80 kph).
To turn around at the bottom of this sand track I had to go into the tree felled area which was a mass of pine tree stumps.
A great many of these stumps were over 300mm high & I didn't want to get stuck with one of those under the floorpan so I aimed the wheels at the stumps instead, (at crawling speed).

The Cuda hopped over the stumps not a problem, sort of like trials bike riding in a Cuda!

It was a fun morning, although I didn't really get the buggy out of 3rd gear as it was pointless going too fast & making it difficult for the camera to catch the shot.
Most of it was hooking into corners & getting the opposite lock thing happening.
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Postby ResidentPsycho » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:32 pm

in that pic, how did the cuda handle the landing? did the shocks compress fully?
ResidentPsycho
Taipan

Postby chrishallett83 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:45 am

I doubt that VERY much RP.
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" - Douglas Bader
chrishallett83
Vulture

Postby Tony » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:49 pm

No, the shocks on a low landing like that only compress the tender springs & a little on the main springs.
The Cuda is set up very stiff on the main spring & softish on the tender.
Dirt driving is what the buggy is set up for, it's not a sand dune buggy where you have soft shocks & lots of ground clearance.

The idea is that for track driving you need stiff suspension to help limit body roll in corners along with a decent amount of camber change to keep the wheels upright in the corners.
This is what the Cuda excells at, high speed cornering on very rough roads.

The Cuda has more suspension travel than it has gound clearance, & the chances of the chassis bottoming out is remote as the springs are too stiff to let this happen.
The only time you would get close to bottoming out a shock is when you land on one wheel, (or if you jumped off a cliff).
In this instance all of the buggies weight & inertia is on one wheel so there is a lot of energy to compress that one shock.
You would not bottom out the chassis as the buggy in this instance would be at an angle to the ground.

On a landing as in the photo the Cuda is landing fairly close to all four wheels hitting the deck at the same time.
The tender springs compress & the main springs a little, but because the energy is distributed between all four shocks there is not that much shock movement.

Keeping the chassis at a lower ride height gives a lower centre of gravity & allows you to throw the buggy into corners at very high speeds.
Combined with this the negative camber change during body roll & bumps in the corner & you have an extremly stable vehicle.
Long travel suspension is only used when you land at an angle from a jump.

For a sand dune buggy you would set the vehicle up totally different.
For the dunes where you are jumping all day long you would have lots of ground clearance which would equal your shock travel, (or a little more ground clearance than shock travel).
For the dunes the shocks would be set up soft to use all of the travel & absorb the energy of jumping high.
But the concern here is that if you do land on one wheel chances are you will bottom out the shock, although having said that the soft sand is very forgiving.
These sand dune buggies will not do the rough track driving like the Barracuda is set up for.
A sand dune buggy would body roll like a bitch, be very unstable in high speed corners & tuck it's wheels into dangerous positive camber.
But then again sand dune cars don't go hard into corners as they are not designed to do so.

Horses for courses.
Tony
Administrator

Postby Jet » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:16 pm

Well said Tony!
<a href="http://www.digrite.com.au/racing#!digrite-racing/c23vw">Check out the latest video and Pictures from Digrite Racing</a>
Jet
Barracuda

Postby Gsx550taipan » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:50 am

very nice pic tony you should be ecstatic about the pics and the chance for to promote these fine buggies to the country. good luck with the rest of the deciding and i hope too see the mag on the shelves in the next couple of months.

cheers... michael.
Gsx550taipan
Sidewinder Plus

Postby buggy bandit » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:58 pm

yer good shot, love to see a few more!! its great to see the buggy doin its thing
buggy bandit
Raven

Postby Dramatica » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:22 pm

Just added a few more pics in the first post.
"Fast - Cheap - Reliable. Pick two."
Dramatica
Administrator

Postby Zak.M » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:36 pm

And here is me thinking Tony never drives buggys.
Would have to be the first time in many many years on this edge forum and old forum that I have seen resent pics!
Light Weight Tiranha.
Still in progress.
Don't be surprised if something goes wrong...be very surprised if everything goes right.
Zak.M
Taipan

Postby ResidentPsycho » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:37 pm

this one has to be my favorite

maybe tony has a double zak
ResidentPsycho
Taipan

Postby monty » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:58 pm

i realy like the 8th one
2nd and third are good two
at 12,500rpm

piranha zx10 ninja
monty
Taipan

Postby chrishallett83 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:16 pm

Bah what are you guys talking about - they're all good!
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" - Douglas Bader
chrishallett83
Vulture

Postby monty » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:20 pm

chrishallett83 wrote:Bah what are you guys talking about - they're all good!

true
at 12,500rpm

piranha zx10 ninja
monty
Taipan

Next

Return to Barracuda