Matts Cuda Build Gettin there :D

Performance Plus!

Re: Matts Cuda Build Gettin there :D

Postby itchyback » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:04 pm

Rattlesnake wrote:Good stuff Matt, you gotta be tasting it now, next weekend is so far away :lol:

LOL, i recommend with salad and a white, maybe sav blanc - australian.
I like that key idea, i'm going to use that.

how long did the bushes and biys take to machine?
Two Seat Barracuda 2.0
Completed.... except for upgrades, repairs, modifications....
itchyback
Trax II

Postby matt(boily) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:13 pm

All up i think it would take a good solid day to machine everything up. I did bits here and there. Once i had the lathe tools setup it was pretty easy to turn out the most of the stuff. The shock spacers for the top mounts(14of 1030bms) took about 2hrs. The bushes for the suspension arms took about 3hrs(24of acetal). The bottom shock spacers and top arm spacers took about 2hrs (8 of 1030bms)

The tie rod spacers i brought from edge they were $12 a pair if i remember and it was just so much easier to buy them. I was spending about 1hr on each one with 12 to make it just took was to long. The ones i did make are spares now.

I'm lucky enough to have gotten some good turning gear from work that makes it easier to make the things. The turning tool stays where it is so i can get good repeatability and its a indexable carbide insert so if it goes blunt i can change it without stuffing up its position. The other side of the tool post is for the parting tool which has to come off when changing as its too big. i use that side for any other tools thats needs as not to tamper with the main turning tool.

Once you get a good rhythm going you get a lot done. A quick change tool post would be the go but funds don't allow for it.

I also got to fix the lathe now as the back of the drill post broke. It was just some crappy plastic so a new metal one will be made for it at some stage.
Suzuki TL1000R Barracuda
matt(boily)
Taipan

Postby chopper » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:16 am

dash looks great mate, nice and clean
chopper
Taipan

Postby reidy02 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:12 pm

Hey Matt ya gett'n there Mate shouldn't be too long now.
reidy02
Trax II

Postby Toyz@Large » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:41 pm

Hey Matt I just noticed how you had your seat belts mounted. I think you may have to put an extra bit of tube in your cross bar other wise if you have a big head on hit those belts are going to put your spine into compression. Can't remember who, but I did the same and they picked me up on it too. The bit your missing is in the plans I think.

As light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak
http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x87/ ... a%20Build/
Toyz@Large
Trax II

Postby matt(boily) » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:20 am

Yeah I need to still put that bar in. The harness is to close to the panel work as well so a bar is needed. Cheers for pointing it out to me :D
Suzuki TL1000R Barracuda
matt(boily)
Taipan

Postby reidy02 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:09 pm

Awww did I do sumthin to upset ya? :lol:
reidy02
Trax II

Postby matt(boily) » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:44 am

reidy02 wrote:Awww did I do sumthin to upset ya? :lol:

????
Didn't know if there was something to be upset about :D

Well the missus is back now and with that so are the boys. Work put me on nightshift on my last weekend in the shed so that stuffed me around big time. I don't know when i'll be able to get back in the shed to finish it off so it might be a while :D

I did get somethings done though. The oil cooler shroud is finished. I got a nice delivery from Mcgills with some new tie rods and lock nuts. The ones i had previously were bronze lined which at the time i didn't know they weren't good enough. So i'll use them for future mock ups and such.

So it might be a while but i'm sure this is the year it will get done. Please let it be the year it gets done :lol:
Suzuki TL1000R Barracuda
matt(boily)
Taipan

Re: Matts Cuda Build Got Movement :D

Postby matt(boily) » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:05 pm

Ok so i got some movement today out of it.

Had a really full on weekend to get it running for its outing today but time got the best of me. Was working until 12 on Friday night. So hopefully this weekend will get it out for a proper go.

Only problem is that the clutch is jammed open. Seems to be a common thing when re installing the pin for the clutch slave cylinder. So need to get that sorted out.

I did get to drive it up the driveway and up the street. When i turned around the clutch jammed open so i had to push it back 50 or so meters. These things aren't the lightest of things :D lol

Will post pics/video when done.
Suzuki TL1000R Barracuda
matt(boily)
Taipan

Postby matt(boily) » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:18 pm

So i took it out for a run today. HOLY S@#$. These things are just awesome. Never experienced anything like it. I'm getting ready for another run tomorrow. The shot below is of in an area around town and would sure to be busted if i hung around too much. My mate was saying it was throwing rocks at them from 30m away. I'll try and get the better pic as this is a mobile txt image.

Only thing that has me worried is the brakes. The front work fine and work well but i didn't use them so much and the steel is already blue. The rears are just not working. I'm going to have to pull it apart and check it out.

Other than a brake upgrade is there another option to stop the heat build up. I was thinking thicker material with more venting. Brake upgrade kit is just too much. Or am i just paranoid about the heat. These are non zinc plated discs.

Also made a quick shroud for the oil cooler as it had some dirt and rocks in it. Just want to protect it more.

Suzuki TL1000R Barracuda
matt(boily)
Taipan

Postby spoiltone » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:44 pm

i have a front brake setup for sale. if you worried about it..

complete bolt on assembly hubs uprights for 500 disc calipers the lot
99.9% completed barracuda with 02 zzr1200 are they truely ever finished?
spoiltone
Taipan

Postby Jet » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:25 pm

You need to zinc plate or bead blast the discs. mild steel has a scale ontop which cooks the disc. get rid of that and it should work better. in the rear you might need to pull the caliper out to bleed it, usually takes a fair bit of work.
<a href="http://www.digrite.com.au/racing#!digrite-racing/c23vw">Check out the latest video and Pictures from Digrite Racing</a>
Jet
Barracuda

Postby matt(boily) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:21 pm

Spoil i have looked at your setup but it wouldn't suit as i have the standard cuda 12" rims.

Jet i did get the scale off the discs on the lathe with a grinding disc setup which worked bloody well. Came out with no scale and a decent finish.

Playing around with it today and i got the rear brakes sorted. The combination of front and back pulls it a lot better. So i think that i'll leave it.

Will post another video soon. Cheers.
Suzuki TL1000R Barracuda
matt(boily)
Taipan

Postby matt(boily) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:50 pm

Just a quick video. Sorry for it been sideways tried to correct it but no good.

this was just to show a mate that's building one as well what it was like.

Suzuki TL1000R Barracuda
matt(boily)
Taipan

Postby HoldenSS5L » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:08 am

Hey mate,

Nice build up, looks unreal...

From Kalgoorlie also... Built a Mini-Sprint and a Sidewinder few years ago, been thinking about making a Cuda but was just wondering how would fit in a cuda as I am 195cm's and that was what made me get rid of the sidewinder, didn't really fit comfortably...

Anyway shoot me an email barkerimagesATwestnet.com.au

Shaun
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

Postby matt(boily) » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:28 pm

Email sent mate. You shouldn't have any issue with getting in the cuda. I'm 185 and have plenty of room.
Suzuki TL1000R Barracuda
matt(boily)
Taipan

Postby matt(boily) » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:07 pm

Well its been a while since my last update. Not much has changed. Took it out last weekend for a good run and it went awesome. Had an issue with the thermo fan and the wiring to it. Got that sorted. And the CV boot coming off. hopefully got that sorted.

Basically trying to get this to a point where you can take it out, bring it back, clean it and put it away. I'm not going to race it properly just a couple of fun days and most of the time will just be getting out there and having fun.

Tonight i thought i would install a light. What a light it is. Got some photos below of how it goes. 5 LED light 4300 Lm. Dog was a bit shocked lol :D

Will be going out as soon as i get this trailer registered and getting some good action shot.

Suzuki TL1000R Barracuda
matt(boily)
Taipan

Postby HoldenSS5L » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:41 pm

Nice work dude, can't wait to have mine going ;)

Shaun

P.S That is a pretty awesome light, might need to get me a couple too...
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

Postby HoldenSS5L » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:24 pm

Went out today with matt to take some photos for him...

I was lucky enough for him to give me a drive and holly molly it was absolutely awesome...

Anyway here are some pics...

Shaun

P.S Here is a link to the rest of the pics http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/holdenss5l/Matts%20Cuda/
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

Postby Tony » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:56 pm

Very cool.
Love it.
Reminds me of my first Cuda drive.
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Barracuda