Corza's Barracuda Build

Performance Plus!

Re: Corza's Barracuda Build

Postby Corza19 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:51 pm

Cheers Shock, yeah they will do the job hahah.

The engine crane isn't a necessity (we didn't use it the first time...), but we tried it this time and yes it helped a little, but not a heap.
I guess if you're trying to get the engine in/out on your own, then it probably would be a help actually lol
"Drop a gear and disappear"
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Shockwave » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:49 pm

The Engine of the FJ weighs about 80kg so it is very hard to move the engine or the chassis on the table.
For a street legal cuda the whole one must not have more than 400kg. Cross your fingers. :shock:
Last edited by Shockwave on Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Work it harder, Make it better, Do it faster, Makes us stronger
http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh483/evawkcohS/Barracuda
Shockwave
Raven

Postby kenrox » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:25 pm

you can borrow/rent a carbon fiber seat, a set of very lightweight tires and rims and get all unnecessary bits out before reg test.
and once get it registered and then give'em back :)
also it's your constitutional right. freedom of movement :) which i'll intend to use also.

and also it should be 450 kg which is achievable.
2.1.6 - Category L7 : A vehicle with four wheels, other than that classified for the category L6, whose unladen mass is not more than 450 kg[3] (600 kg[3] for vehicles intended for carrying goods), not including the mass of batteries in the case of electric vehicles and whose maximum continuous rated power does not exceed 15 kW.
kenrox
Registered Member

Postby Shockwave » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:09 pm

Yes changing the seat I could do. :-)
In Germany the border is 400Kg for a "farming and forestry machine", called "LOF".
Shockwave
Raven

Postby Shockwave » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:32 pm

Hey mate!
Any updates?
Shockwave
Raven

Postby Corza19 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:32 pm

Ummm unfortunately not!

I have started working full time, and of course then after work I just CBF going to the workshop to work on the the buggy :lol:

And last week it was all 43+ degree days, so was not good buggy weather hahah

But tonight I attempted to get back into it again, so I cut some tube for the upper rear mounts, and took my spark plugs out lol
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Corza19 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:11 pm

K&N air filter cleaner and new spark plugs arrived today *insert thumbs up emoji* lol

Corza19
Trax II

Postby Corza19 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:39 pm

Okaaaayyyy so it's been a while I know, but I'm back into it now!

So a couple weeks ago I got a new oil filter, and I put my spark plugs in too.

I also cleaned my air filter, I still have to spray the oil back on it, but at least it's clean for now.

I was able to exchange my 15 tooth sprocket for a 13 tooth one (only cause I kept the original packaging :P , see I taped it back up :lol: )

During the last couple weeks I had made up the last of the engine mounts, so yesterday I had dads help to take the engine back out, and I fully welded all the engine mounts.

I made up a spacer for the top ones so they didn't pull too much

I also welded on the nerf bar mounts properly as I wouldn't be able to get a good weld on them once the engine went back in, came out alright I reckon.

Then today I cleaned up the engine mounts with a cold chisel/hammer and zipped over them with the wire wheel on the grinder. I gave em a quick skirt of black paint so they blend in a bit better for the time being. Looks quite good I thought!

While the engine was out I gave it a bit of a clean (mainly just blowing the sh#t off with the air compressor...), I sat the sprocket cover back on and realised that the chain won't clear this :lol: , So that will have to be cut off hahah

So then after lunch dad and I put the engine back in (that was a massive PIA for some reason...), I put the radiator back in and them I put all the loom back on/plugged everything back in.

I also started to make a bracket for the ignition barrel out of some RHS so it will sit behind the dash

So yeah that's about it! I need to get some oil and some sort of exhaust sorted out and then it's just about time for a test fire!!! Then it will be time to start cutting and extending wires lol
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Corza19 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:25 pm

Alright so last night I put the firewall and seat back in (1 bolt in firewall, seat just sitting there lol), and mocked up where I'm gonna mount my fire extinguisher.

I just used one of the pre existing holes in the firewall, and the bolt goes through the tab too. It is mostly good, but needs to be moved down a bit and to the left (right), as it is there isn't much room to get your hand in there to undo the latch quickly in an emergency, so yeah.

Just a random pic of how it's sitting at the moment

I got some M8 female rod ends for my gearshift linkage, so now that can be made. I also got some bolts, but they showed up black and not zinc coated! So they'll be sent back now lol

I also ordered some exhaust bends today so I can start making an exhaust!

I need to order a battery too
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Shockwave » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:46 pm

Good Progress!
Well done, finishing the engine mounts must be a good feeling.
The gear selector bar isnt a problem with the 13T Sprocket and chain clearance anymore?

Fire em up! :lol:
Shockwave
Raven

Postby Corza19 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:25 pm

Haha cheers mate!

It shouldn't be, there's a couple mm clearance (I think), I might still make some sort of nylon roller to protect it anyways...

Yeah that will be happening soon! Gonna get some Penrite or Motul oil then I probs should make some sort of exhaust for it, but nah :P lol

I got the bolts switched over to zinc ones, so tonight I mounted my extinguisher properly lol. Moved it down (didn't really move it over any but it's in a good spot).

4 M6 countersunk bolts hold it onto the firewall, once the firewall is properly attached, it won't be going anywhere lol

Might not get much done on it over the next few days, we'll see
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Corza19 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:30 pm

Well didn't do much this weekend, got some exhaust bits so started working on that.

A variety of 1.5", 2", and 2.5" bends etc

Bit of a layout of the exhaust, cyl #1 + #4 into a 1.5" collector, #2 + #3 into the other 1.5" collector, then into a 2" collector, then straight through 2.5"

Machined up some exhaust header stubs out of some 30NB tube. Machined 42.5mm down to 41.4mm, and bored the inside out to 38mm for the 1.5" exhaust. Need to get some flanges laser cut as well.

Started making the 1.5" collectors.

I did start the exhaust from cyl #4, a couple 90 degree bends, with then a straight bit running across the front of the block, forgot to take a oic!

That's it for now

Cheers
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Corza19 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:57 pm

So didn't do much this week,

This is the exhaust progress from last weekend. Not much lol

Then during the week my driveshafts and brake lines showed up!

One just mocked up into position.

I'm not sure if this is normal.... seems like it would just smash out the insides of the CV hubs and the bolts....

"Finished" both the 1.5" collectors, nothing fancy and not looking too flash at the moment lol

The 2" collector. Pretty happy how the welds came out on this one

Taped together lol, gonna add a slip joint in there somewhere.

Dad holding it roughly in position for me!

Welcome to equal length tuned exhaust header making fun times with Corey :lol: :lol:

Got some MIG wire to approximately see if the exhaust will be somewhat equal length, and much to my surprise it will be!
That's the rough shape the pipe will be too.

Today I also started figuring out the radiator hoses. I had to do this before I could continue on my exhaust so I could see how close the rad hose would be to the exhaust...

I found some 27mm OD pipe pipe that will sweet. I'll be able to cut up the original hoses to connect it all together. The black 20NB pipe I used to mock it up before I found some usable pipe lol

I also picked up some Penrite MC4ST 10W-40 full synthetic oil for the engine!

So yeah that's all for now!

Ciao
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Shockwave » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:54 pm

Hi, looking good, I'm a little scared of the exhaust tubing. Cross my fingers for yours. :P

Could you solve the axle-lenght problem like tony mentioned?
Shockwave
Raven

Postby Corza19 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:58 pm

Hey Shock, yeah haha thanks! Just gotta bite the bullet and see how it turns out I guess! lol

Well kinda haha, few people said on FB that they did have issue and cut them etc, but then Tony says that's how they're meant to be... so I dunno. I haven't touched them really since I mocked that one up lol. I'm not driving it tomorrow so it can wait for now hahah

Cheers
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Corza19 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:37 am

Alright well it's been about a month since I've done anything to the Cuda, severe lack of motorvation lol, just lost interest, the big long list in front of me wasn't helping either... I said I wanted to have it drivable by mid-August, yet I just wasted a month.

But here we are, back at it again.

I have routed the front and rear brake lines, all cable tied into a semi-permanet place, they should take a bit of shape hopefully, I also changed the oil filter the other day, so yeah.

Now onto the exhaust!
Collectors tacked together, I was/am going to do a slip joint in there, but that can wait now, or it might not happen at all, we'll see! I used some 30x30 RHS to make sure the gaps were even and they were square with each other too.

Dad holding it in position for me, then I was able to cut a 90* degree bend to fit nicely. And tacked together, starting to see the shape a bit now, I still wasn't 100% happy with it at this point, but that's usually how it goes lol.

So if I haven't already said it or you don't know, I'm running a straight pipe exhaust, should be pretty damn sweet. Will obviously cut it to the right length etc but that was just two 2.5" bends taped together to get an idea.

Just started working on the other tubes after that. Notice I don't have any flanges yet lol, getting some cut at the moment, and will then take the stub off the ends of the exhaust tubes, drill some holes in them, and then plug weld them onto the tube.

2 out of the 4 tubes tacked together. I ran out of bends so I have to get some more before I can continue! (Sorry for shitty pics)

I don't take credit for the exhaust design either, I am copying "Antman's" GSXR1000 exhaust off his Piranha, except his is way better than mine lol, and on the opposite side, and stainless not mild... haha viewtopic.php?f=25&t=12370&start=20

So not too far from starting it I guess, need to sort out:
- Fuel system, pre sure I'm just gonna run an external fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator
- Have at least half the exhaust tacked together
- Put some oil in it
- Cut and connect the side stand switch wires
- Will hook up a hose or something to have some water flowing (depends how long I want to run it for lol)
Then it should go maybe?!

Once it is up and running I can finish and fully weld the exhaust up, finish the cooling system and get some coolant (and sort out an overflow bottle), and probs a whole lot of other stuff too.

I should buy some shocks as well at some stage, need decide what I'm doing with the driveshafts as well, umm what else? List keeps getting longer the more I think about it!!

That's about it! Probably missed some stuff but oh well, I'll update again on the weekend maybe.

Cheers
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Corza19 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:17 pm

Well didn't get much done this weekend, my battery showed up Friday so I made a tray for it.
Still need to stick the foam in, weld on some 6mm rod with threaded ends, cut my firewall a bit, and then weld it to the chassis... but it looks pretty good for now.
There is also some foam stuck to the aluminium bar now.

Did a bit more on my exhaust, not really much to explain lol. Can kinda see where it's meant to go now at least.

I'm going to buy some shocks very soon I think, then I have an excuse to buy some wheels for my ute lol

Cheers
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Shockwave » Tue May 02, 2017 7:43 am

Exhaust looks awesome!!
Started thinking about mine. Maybe I can order some tubes next week.
Shockwave
Raven

Postby kenrox » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:40 am

keep up the good work!
the headers look great :)
kenrox
Registered Member

Engine Placement

Postby Gasaxe » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:55 pm

G'day Corey , My names Heath . Ive been following your thread for about 6 months as i build my own Cuda. Im also using a Gsxr 1000 engine and was wondering if you solved the chain issue with the gear selector. I'm in the process of engine instalation and the only way for the chain to clear the Gear selector (Ive found) is to tilt the engine slightly and this photo is with a 17 tooth front sprocket. I've also moved it forward an inch . Hope this Helps.... :P
Attachments
20170623_152145.jpg
20170623_152145.jpg (94.02 KiB) Viewed 353 times
Gasaxe
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Barracuda