Corza's Barracuda Build

Performance Plus!

Re: Corza's Barracuda Build

Postby enroh » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:35 pm

Looking Good mate keep up the good work!
enroh
Registered Member

Postby Shockwave » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:23 am

Hey, good progress, I hope you could forget your frustration of the last months. :lol:
40 degrees...I'm happy about 5 degrees inside, outside it is -5... :evil:
Work it harder, Make it better, Do it faster, Makes us stronger
http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh483/evawkcohS/Barracuda
Shockwave
Raven

Postby Corza19 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:07 pm

Cheers Enroh!!

Thanks Shock! Yeah past all that now lol, but I'm sure there'll still be bad times before it's 100% done! hahah, and jeez that's cold haha!

Well yesterday didn't go to the workshop as I put my new headunit in my ute, but today spent about 1/2 day there in total!

Decided on mounts for the engine, got some pictures of an EDGE built Cuda with a GSXR1000, so gonna make my mounts the same way.
Right side:

Left side:

After examining the photos, dad and I decided that the engine mounting plates were only 25mm wide, and the pipe used to mount the engine is 15NB tube, not the 20NB like I was gonna use, so I cut some 25x6mm plate into four 100mm lengths, then drilled the holes with 75mm centres. Ground the ends down to have a 12.5mm radius.

I then tacked the plates into position, then drilled and tapped the holes (which was pretty eventful lol, had to get the air powered right angle drill, cause the engine was in the way, and didn't have a starter tap, only an intermediate tap so tapping them was painful lol), and cut the 15NB tube to rough lengths.
I don't think I had to second plate on in this photo..

Cut the tube for the left side too.

So yeah that's about it lol,

Really need to line up the sprockets now so I can actually complete the engine mounts!!
"Drop a gear and disappear"
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Shockwave » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:34 am

Lookin good. How do you planned to align the two sprockets?
Shockwave
Raven

Postby Corza19 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:48 pm

Yeah not too sure Shock, dad and I aligned it somewhat by eye today, but will need a straight edge along the sprockets, and and measurements making sure it square in X, Y, and Z planes.

It's also difficult because I don't have my smaller front sprocket yet to be able to see if the chain clears the gear selector shaft, so I'll have to wait and see. I have to message the bloke who owns the green Cuda above and ask for some more photos!!

Did a couple things today but I'll put them in an update soon.

Cheers
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Shockwave » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:33 am

Yes, thats also my problem, to align it in one direction is no problem, but the rest...
Shockwave
Raven

Postby Corza19 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:31 pm

So got the sprockets lined up, was a bit how ya goin but it's not going anywhere now!

"Test Fitting" the chain lol, not the chain I'll be using as it's too short! Was a spare one for our Twister buggy hahah. Used it as a rough guide to begin with to see what it would look like with the chain on.

Main part of the head mounts complete

Sump is sitting on the RHS stand, meaning the bash plate will sit against the sump... not really ideal...., but the cross bar will stop the bash plate from being able to be dented too badly right in that area. Maybe the sump will be modded later on, not sure yet though, don't really wanna have to do that lol

How it's sitting at the minute, but the seat and firewall are out too now.

Yay! 15 tooth engine sprocket arrived! Bought it like 2 weeks ago.... only got here today... bloody AUS post!!

Left side mount half welded in

Absolute sh#t of a thing to do, didn't work how the EDGE mount did, had to end up taking probably half of the tube off so it fitted over the top of the other one, instead of just sitting on top of one another... but will/has welded up alright

Right side half welded in too

So not really happy with the engine mounts, but I keep telling myself once they are fully welded, and painted, and there's an exhaust there, and it's running, you wont even notice them lol

The rear top left and rear bottom right mounts are done too but no photos sorry.

Ahh yeah so that's it for now! Will get the other two rear mounts done and weld the other up some more, then probs take the engine back out, final weld of the mounts, then back in and start wiring!!
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Shockwave » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:18 am

Good progress.. when it is driving? :lol:
I have looked for cockpit peaces, keylock, lightswitches and so on. Did you baught it already?
Shockwave
Raven

Postby Drew79 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:41 am

Shockwave wrote:Good progress.. when it is driving? :lol:
I have looked for cockpit peaces, keylock, lightswitches and so on. Did you baught it already?

Cockpit..... what if a lady drives it?? :lol: :lol:
Drew79
Raven

Postby Shockwave » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:40 pm

Drew79 wrote:
Cockpit..... what if a lady drives it?? :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:
Shockwave
Raven

Postby Corza19 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:04 pm

Thanks Shock, driving.... hmm dunno! Before my birthday in August hopefully!

But it will be running within the next couple months!

Key/ignition barrel/light switches, etc I got with my engine, so I don't need to buy them!! But I don't intend to use the bike's light switches, I'll wire up my own. I'm going to use the key to start with, but when I strip it to paint it, I might work on rewiring it completely, and removing all unnecessary wire/plugs etc, including ditching the key/ignition barrel.

Well not much progress to report, been a couple 45 degree days so stayed home instead, but now it's back to 30 hahah so back into it!

I had to make a couple new bolts for the rear mounts, when using the 2 40mm slugs, the standard bolts aren't long enough, and our local bolt shop was no help lol, so some 10mm rod (don't have 10mm shaft :oops: ) with M10x1.5 cut on each end would do for now. Made 2 of these, but will have to make one longer cause of my different mount!! :roll:

Notched the other connecting tube, welded it up, bolted it on etc etc, both have 4 tacks + one weld, I will fully weld when engine is back out so they will be easier to get to!

Made up a gusset for the lower rear right mount (gee that's a mouthful lol), 5, 10, and 15mm holes, all slightly countersunk.
Kinda winged the spacing, and it came up pretty good! Yet to be welded in yet, again I'll probs wait till the engine is back out.

And made up a smaller one for the back side, drilled the hole a tad close to the edge (and a bit big too lol) but oh well.

Just need to make a new longer bolt, then make the lower rear left mount, and then engine back out, final weld of the mounts. Clean the engine? Mount back in and start wiring, even if that's just plug everything back in and see if it'll run lol :lol:

So close yet so far!!
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Shockwave » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:50 pm

There are a lot of engine mounts...
August; 7 month thats a good target I think. Not to close, but enough pressure to get it ready. :lol:
Shockwave
Raven

Postby Corza19 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:49 pm

Shockwave wrote:There are a lot of engine mounts...

Nah just normal amount, 4 at the the back (2 top 2 bottom), then 2 either side of the head. How many is on your motor?

Yeah I think it'd be a good birthday present to myself having the buggy drivable by then lol :lol:
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Corza19 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:08 pm

Yeah cool

Corza19
Trax II

Postby Shockwave » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:36 pm

Hey whats up there?
Did you removed it because of changing your chainway? (I've seen it contacts the shift linkage)
Shockwave
Raven

Postby Corza19 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:49 pm

Nah was trying to get the bolts I made out, so I could get the engine out to fully weld all the mounts and then put it back in.

But the mounts obviously pulled ever so slightly so that the bolts got bound up in the mounts when trying to get them out, (and also partially because they were made of rod not shaft...).

So after being super extremely pissed off at the situation, there was no other option but to cut them out, was gonna cut them out nicely and try and save them, but there is -1000 amount of room in there, which meant the grinder didn't fit, so they ended up just getting completely hacked up, and smashed with the hammer too.

Still pretty pissed off as you can imagine, was meant to be engine out and back in that same day (engine would have been all 100% mounted and done, and could start wiring...), but now I've gone backwards, and have to do them all again!!!!!

I didn't touch it today, and probs won't tomorrow either, I need to forget about it for a bit and start fresh. But Dad did get some 10mm bright shaft for me, so I could start on making the new bolts I guess.

Oh and yeah the chain is gay, gonna have to run a 13 tooth front sprocket or something probably... try and exchange my 15 tooth for a smaller one, and maybe run a nylon roller like EDGE did, but that only pushes against the chain more if ya know what I mean? Hope it doesn't end up being a MASSIVE problem down the track...

There was an update I was gonna post of the other stuff I got done before this happened, but I will leave that for the next update and make it all one.

First major setback after getting the engine, and I bet there'll be more

Cheers
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Shockwave » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:30 pm

Ohh yes I know such situations...no space for the angle grinder -> No Way But The Hard Way (AIRBOURNE)

I think there are 3 Mounts each side on mine. (Haven't wathed) Like yours with long bolts. :roll:

Do you think the next bolts will get out easier?
Can't you use shorter bolts only through the engine mount hole, not through both?
Maybe they are spin locked themselve when touching the engineblock.

The rough work is done so now the little things will need immense of time. Yes that was only the first setback. :lol:
Im Working on two projects if I'm pissed off once I can turn around and work on the other. :D

I've seen exactly the same chain problem in any other big post here in the forum.
This guy has solved it with 2 parallel flatbars, which holds a fix Sprocket (13T or 15T) to push up the Chain.
I'm afraid that unly reducing the front sprocket teeth count is not enough. But test it yourself.

Maybe you can cut off the shift tube and mout the lever closer to the engine hanging down.
You could splint the lever on the shaft and tap a thread in it to push the lever on it.

I'll cross my fingers.
Shockwave
Raven

Postby Corza19 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:06 pm

Yeah the new bolts should be, they are bright shaft instead of rod, so they will be perfectly round. I'm gonna cut them to length and cut the thread on them tomorrow.

Nah cant use shorter bolts, no room for a nut/bolt head, so has to be one long bolt, they weren't getting stuck in the engine block, as the mounting holes are about 11mm instead of a perfect 10mm. They were binding up in the mount (which is weird cause they weren't tight on there before...).

Yeah that's an idler sprocket, REALLY don't want to run one of them, I would change my sump and engine mounts before running an idler hahaha. I have thought of the chaining the gear selector shaft, but unsure how strong it would be, but if there was an easy way to do it (I'd have to research more about it...), it'd solve the problem right away.

Changing the engine sprocket will help some more, only a little bit though. But I might change it regardless of the clearance issue, have quicker acceleration (but lower top speed) which would be good, don't really have anywhere where I would need a huge top speed.

Thanks for your input and suggestions Shock, I like having someone reply to my posts :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Corza19 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Well time for an update!

So this is from one week ago.

I made up a mount for the lower mount out of 20NB tube. I cut a small triangle out of the end of the pipe, heated it up with the oxy, then folded the end down and welded it up. Afterwards I gave it quick coat so it blends in nicely. (And did weld it in...)

I fitted up my new sprocket, as said above I'm gonna get a 13 tooth instead I reckon. Note the chain doesn't run like that, it's just sitting there...

Made up some gussets for the new mount too, same same but different ;)

Also welded on the right side removable engine mounting plates. I was gonna just do one long bead, but decided it was better to just to lots of spot/tack welds as such. Turned out pretty good I thought!

I took the engine mount off, and fully welded it up, then gave it a quick coat of black etch primer. Looks heaps better now.

Then disaster struck.

I explained what happened above, so no need to re write it, but I'll show the other pics.

Literally just welded that on :(

Afterwards I left it for a couple days... but I made some new bolts out the 10mm bright shaft, made them a bit longer, but no pics cause they look the same lol

So I managed to save the lower mount which I had literally just made, and one of the upper mounts.

Today I tacked the lower mount back on, and the gussets too

Then dad helped me to get the engine out, so I could clean up where I hacked the old mounts off so I could make some new ones... We used the engine crane this time, but still have to turn the engine before removing it from the frame. Don't know if others have to do this but we have to! hahah

Will weld up this side of the engine mounts when the engine comes back out again in a couple days... *rolls eyes*

Took the radiator out to make the engine removal/refitting easier, so thought I'd give the top mount a quick coat of paint, doesn't look so out of place anymore lol

So the engine went back in, I cut the remainder of the 20NB tube off the slug I saved, and now I just have to notch some new bits of tube!

Will probs update toward the end of the week.

Cheers
Last edited by Corza19 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Shockwave » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi,
Mounts lookin very well.
An engine crane...things I need. *g*
Shockwave
Raven