Matt's cuda build UK

Performance Plus!

Re: Matt's cuda build UK

Postby Ives » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:35 am

Nice job on the buggy. Where abouts in the UK are you? I think I am just about to start a new buggy project.

It can be a bit harder to get hold of now but try asking about EN39 for the shaft material.
Ives
Registered Member

Postby itchyback » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:15 am

Along the lines of Suparoo...
I was googling uni joints and came across these. I know very little but maybe these might help with the intermittent forces?
http://www.bareco.com.au/files-pto2002-pto11e
website says it can handle 1500ft/lbs or torque or 2000NM. Tony maybe you can comment on if that is too much or not enough?
Its too big to be a strait bolt on and would probably require too much modification to the PIRCV box to be a practical option but i was interested to see things like this were available.
Attachments
B6512.jpg
B6512.jpg (44.64 KiB) Viewed 4785 times
Two Seat Barracuda 2.0
Completed.... except for upgrades, repairs, modifications....
itchyback
Trax II

Postby Tony » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:22 am

Yes they are used on PTO drives in case the implement being driven stalls against a rock etc.
I have often looked at using this type of system, but finally deceided clutch plates are not the way to go.
The idea is perfect, but the packaging is the issue.
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Postby matt willmett » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:01 am

thanks Ives, i am based in Herefordshire if you know where that is :), after breaking the en40 input shafts i am currently moving away from looking at having shafts made now because of the shear cost, if you are looking at en39 do you know what the differance may be? in the two metals?

My mate has some how managed to work out on a bit of an educated guess that the orgional shafts that were in the diff are sierra input shafts which are pretty common i am trying to get some dimensions at the moment on the lengths of the shafts so i could possibly purchase some and adapt them to fit, the shafts come with both a size of 23 teeth on the splines and 26 teeth, my diff accepts the 23 teeth so will look at purchasing these, can find them easily on ebay for under 100£ for a pair of full half shafts and inserts. if this still doesnt work i may look into upgrading to a diff which accepts the 26teeth as that should add a fair bit more strength! fingers crossed that they fit
matt willmett
Registered Member

Postby suparoo » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:57 am

En30, 36, 39 etc are all case hardening steels. Which means they only harden on the outside and rely on the "toughness" of the material in its original state for strength in the center. 4340, 300m, Vascomax, etc are "though hardening" steels which means there entire strength goes up as they are heat treated.

Case hardening steels are good for things that need to be extremely hard on the outside and tough on the center for impact resistance. i.e kango hammer chisels. They can be used for axles if the original strength of the material is great enough for the axle requirement, but if its not they can't be brought up in strength by heat treatment.

4340 etc can have there strengths increased by heat treatment, but has to be heated very hot to do this and parts can distort. Vascomax is the best as its stronger than everything else and low temp heat treatment but $$$

300m is IMO still the best affordable option and then run 4340 axles that are forgiving.

I talked to a guy who has run Quaife diffs and best result he had with axles was using original Ford shafts, but they are for a smaller C.V and he welded adapters onto them. I'm not a bit fan of welding axles so probably wouldn't go down that road. He claimed the reason Ford ones are so strong is that the spline is rolled rather than being cut.
suparoo
Registered Member

Postby Schoey » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:44 am

Hi I'm new to this site and fabrication, I've just started my barracuda project, I live in The north west UK, I'm having trouble finding any springs/shockers for a reasonable price can I ask where u got yours from? your buggy looks awesome! Cheers
Schoey
Registered Member

Postby mike k » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:10 am

Hi mate were about are you in the north west, iam on the wirral
With ref to shocks try gaz can get u the number if u not find it
mike k
Fun Kart

Postby Schoey » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:22 am

I'm from Rochdale on the outskirts of Manchester, yeah the shocks seem really expensive to import etc. nice build btw your fabricating looks well
Schoey
Registered Member

Postby matt willmett » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:37 am

Hey scheoy,
sorry for the long delay on the reply, i am pretty inactive on here unfortunatly.
if you are still struggling with shocks and springs i got mine from Milner offroad, i paid around £2000 in total for them need any more info ill keep an eye on the forum for abit :)

with regards to my current build...
things have gone slightly better, i managed to find the original drive shafts for my diff and they have held up so far(they were out of a free lander) which in some peoples eyes would raise some concern, but they have held out at the moment!
so i managed to get her going on the dirt for a good few spins in the summer. it took its toll, as it revealed a few weak spots. i have also changed the tyres all round to rally tyres to make the corners slightly lighter, doesnt quite look the same though.
a coouple of problems i have now encounterd are:-

a big problem with the chain, i have managed to strech several, i am now running a chain which is supposedly rated at 600bhp and i am still managing to stretch and wreck it... not sure if i have the set up wrong or the diff im using is causing problems from the play when on and off throttle, creating a snatching effect causing the stretch, has any one else had any problems with this?
it seems to be okay when the chain is ran really quite loose, so i was going to look at having a running sprocket to take up the slack on the under side of the chain between sprockets.

next steering... i seem to have very limited steering. i am currently running the same width tyres as i have on the back which i know having much thinner tyres on the front would help a bit? it seems i just dont have a great enough lock, has any one else found this when trying to maneuver tighter chicanes.

any ideas or help would be appreaciated here is what she is looking like at the moment

freelander shafts ready for modification

new chain compared with old

New Tyres
Old tyres on (bit blurred)
New tyres on
range of buggies
Left: Kawasaki zx9 with custom turbo, middle: 1300 hayabusa, right: 900 Honda Fireblade
matt willmett
Registered Member

Postby Corza19 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:07 pm

Looks good as mate! :P
"Drop a gear and disappear"
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Tony » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:39 am

If you're killing chains then it's likely your sprockets are not inline.
Every time I have seen buggies destroy a good quality chain its because the engine was not mounted in the correct position.
Fat wheels on the front may make the steering heavy & potentially reduce grip on the front as the tyres tend to float instead of dig in.
The idea of skinny front tyres is for the tyres to bite in through the surface to get traction.
Other than that, wind on more caster angle & use the throttle to steer.
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Postby matt willmett » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:49 am

Cheers for the reply guys, we have checked the sprockets a couple of times, maybe we missed something, so will have another good look.
as to the steering will have a little play with the set up on the front and probable change the tyres back to some thinner ones
matt willmett
Registered Member

Postby Simon1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:04 pm

What size front sprocket? In my experience anything less that 15t wrecks chains.
Simon1
Taipan

Postby matt willmett » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:09 am

Hey i have tried a lot of different small sprockets think i am currently on 13 , will have a look at going back to 15 then, we have tried to look at a 16 but have found there isnt enough space, and the bottom of the chain would hit the sprocket cover is it worth looking at some adaptation for this to work. we will also re check the alignment to rule that out
thanks
matt willmett
Registered Member

Postby Simon1 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:33 pm

When I tried a 13t, it wrecked a $300 chain in 10 minutes. I'm not exaggerating. I think you will go better with 15, but you might miss the acceleration.
Simon1
Taipan

Postby suparoo » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:02 am

It's called "chordal action"
suparoo
Registered Member

Postby matt willmett » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:23 am

Latest update...
Finaly managed to get a set up on which i had more than 2minutes of fun before stretching the chain.... at the loss of A LOT of acceleration, we fitted a roller sprocket to keep the chain from dragging the engines sprocket cover but ran the original 17 tooth sprocket with a very slack chain. we were able to have a good amount of runs on some good hard ground, was some great fun i can tell you! but we knew that this was gearing us down majorly! we knew we had to retry the smaller sprockets so i bought a 16t to fit but becuase of the way the chain then sat we could only fit the 15t with a bit of tension.
I ran this round the track a couple of times nice and steady, (this is where i realised the difference in acceleration, it was incredable) but then I decided to put my foot down round one corner to hear the dreadfull slap/smack noise which evidently put an end to it all! we stopped to look at the chain to find the chain had once again bent all the pins in about 10 links or so back to the same problem again! and another £100 down the drain. after more research and what we had discussed a few times we are looking at not having enough links between the two sprockets as we think "chordal Action" refers more to the quicker wearing of the chain than bending pins...

could i get some dimensions or some lengths of chains off any of you guys with the sprocket sizes you are running to see how we are differing. (i am also running a LSD if that may effect it). maybe i have some how mounted the engine and catridge too close some how :S??

Any Help or suggestions appreaciated!!

Thanks guys

P.S this link should take you to the video we had of her let me know if it doesn't work :D

https://www.facebook.com/mattwillmett/v ... =2&theater
matt willmett
Registered Member

Postby Corza19 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:32 am

Shame about your chain issues mate.

The link is no good, it says this "Sorry, this content isn't available right now, The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in."
"Drop a gear and disappear"
Corza19
Trax II

Postby suparoo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:57 pm

Not sure if you have read this but heres a paragraph that I copied from a chain info site

Sprockets should be accurately aligned in a common vertical plane, with their axes parallel. Chain should be kept clean and well lubricated with a thin, light-bodied oil that will penetrate the small clearances between pins and bushings.

Center distance should not be less than 1.5 times the diameter of the larger sprocket, nor less than 30 times the chain pitch, and should not exceed 60 times the chain pitch. Center distance should be adjustable - one chain pitch is sufficient - and failing this an idler sprocket should be used to adjust tension. A little slack is desirable, preferably on the bottom side of the drive.

The chain should wrap at least 120° around the drive sprocket, which requires a ratio of no more than 3.5 to 1; for greater ratios, an idler sprocket may be required to increase wrap angle.

I'm thinking that all that info is to get a chain to run at its optimum and anything outside those guidelines will cause premature wear etc. I guess if you only introduce one of those issues you can get away with it but two or more not so good. The small sprocket must be the tipping point.

It does seem to be a fine line between getting a setup that doesn't eat chains and one that does.

I spoke to a guy in the states call "Tompro" who runs a turbo busa in a sand car . He said a single chain of the best quality would last 2 - 3 runs but once he went to twin chain he would get 2 seasons. That is with a 14 front sprocket.

Chordal action puts heaps of stress on the chain as when the link goes over the top of the sprocket it lifts and instead of the load being shared around the front sprocket it all goes on the lifting link.
suparoo
Registered Member

Postby matt willmett » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:08 am

Thanks suparoo, haven't seen those details before so i will get my head round them and see how many of them are happening to my chain. thats really interesting about the twin chain as we were contemplating it, either that or looking at changing to a 630 chain. going to weigh it all up in cost and see which could work out cheaper/easier to adapt onto the buggy!
Thanks!!

having trouble uploading the vid, will try youtube later
matt willmett
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Barracuda