Matt's cuda build UK

Performance Plus!

Matt's cuda build UK

Postby matt willmett » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:36 am

Alright guys been following most of your threads for ages now been building the cuda for about 9 months so far and i thought its about time i put up a few pics of the progress so far i am struggling to put the pictures on anyone got any ideas says the files are invalid do they have to be a certain type of file or below a certain size let me know cheers
Matt
matt willmett
Registered Member

Re: Matt's cuda build UK

Postby mike k » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:38 am

Hi mate have you put the photos on the likes of photo bucket 1st ...
mike k
Fun Kart

Postby matt willmett » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:44 am

no i havent is that what i need to do, make a photobucket account and upload onto there first?
matt willmett
Registered Member

Postby lauzynas1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:04 am

Yes, one of the method is to upload to photobucket, then copy/paste the image code here, the other method is to upload the picture directly (check the picture size, usually it is the problem).
Now get those pictures here :)
lauzynas1
Trax II

Postby matt willmett » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:14 am

Had all of the plates laser cut out and then i punched and plasmad the weight saving cuts which where needed ;)

Didnt have any 3.2mm thick 25nb tube at the time so i made the bushes for the arms instead

bought a Honda Blackbird xx 1100 for £420 and he threw in a quick rack aswell snatched up the bargain straight away

cheers for helping me get the pictures on guys, im currently making the threaded inserts and fine adjusters for the arms let me know what you think thanks guys
matt willmett
Registered Member

Postby 14WRC » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:24 am

Neat work well made
D Day Fabrications
14WRC
Trax II

Postby lauzynas1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:16 pm

Great job! Like your a-arms, werry clean. one tip for the arms inserts, if you are going to zinc plate them, it will add few hundreeds of mm. I havent thought abot it and now its too tight.
lauzynas1
Trax II

Postby matt willmett » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:45 am

Ah I didn't think a out that either I'm unsure whether I am going to zinc plate the arms I was going to just have them blasted and powder coated but thinking about it now it probably give it a bit more protection from stones and things if it was plated what do you rekon ?
matt willmett
Registered Member

Postby Hamish » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:00 am

Also just noticed you tacked the arms together then let them out of the jig. I'd be welding them fully in the jig to minimise distortion on the welds. Looks like you know a lot more about fabrication than me though, so i recon you'll be right! Top job, very impressive!
It would have been extremely dangerous... except for the fact he was drinking at the same time.
Hamish
Trax II

Postby matt willmett » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:17 pm

Yea dont worry they will be going back in I just had them out so that I could mock then all up. Thanks, it's too cold at the moment in the workshop so I'm staying out of their all the machinery goes freezing haha.
matt willmett
Registered Member

Postby peterk » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:32 am

Matt,
Where are you bassed? I keep looking at building one of these but would love to see one "in the flesh".
I'm in Cumbria
Pete
Go as fast s you can for as long as you can!
peterk
Registered Member

Postby matt willmett » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:30 am

Hiya Pete I am from Hereford in the midlands had a quick look on the maps and your down London way arnt you? But of a trek don't you think? ;) I don't think I would mind you having a look though :)
matt willmett
Registered Member

Postby peterk » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:31 am

Other direction.
Cumbria, as in nearly Scotland.
What spec tubeing did you use for the main hoops of the cage?
peterk
Registered Member

Postby matt willmett » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:52 am

Oh right not as far then? Used 25nb 2.6 wall I have stuck to the plans as near to perfect as I could basically with a few minor things changed and what I have picked up along the way :) have you bought the plans or are you still deciding to undergo the whole project?
matt willmett
Registered Member

Postby peterk » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:35 am

I got a plan set about 5 years ago, but lent them to a friend to have a look at, and i've never seen them again, nor does he admit to having been loaned them. Never mind.
I keep hopeing to find a part built project in the UK that I can finish, but it'd need to be built to the right spec for the MSA to allow it to race. I've not enough space or tooling to build from scratch, so keep looking at ordering from Edge, but I need to contact them to see if one can be built with the right tubeing.
peterk
Registered Member

Postby matt willmett » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:14 am

That's useful isn't it hah what's MSA might have a look into it, surely the tubing used on edge buggies would be strong enough for the scruteneering? Yea buying from edge is probly your best bet then as long as you have the findings for it ;).
matt willmett
Registered Member

Postby peterk » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:25 am

The MSA is the motor sports association, and they govern most of the Motorsport in the UK. I need to contact them first to see what they would class a Barracuda as. If a single seater they the cage tube can be smaller, but then there's the amator built, pro built with a certificate question, it's far to complex, but I'll only build one if I can race it properly. If in doubt, flat out!
peterk
Registered Member

Postby matt willmett » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:35 am

ahh yeah i see :P let me know what they say when they get back to you i origionaly wanted to make the tube smaller for more weight saving also but i was dirrected otherwise either way i am deciding to turbo my engine to acquire for the lump of steel it turns into when complete ;) i must say i would not be able to dissagree with that statement ;P
matt willmett
Registered Member

Postby matt willmett » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:37 am

just a quick update of how im doing managed to make the all the adjuster nuts for the arms and inserts and have fully welded up all of the arms. also i have bought a new toy which i have removed the diff out of to put into the buggie im now looking to sell the radical to any one interested reasonable offers please ;D

matt willmett
Registered Member

Postby mjsork » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:00 pm

Hi Matt,
I am a fellow UK builder living in the Orkney Islands just off the North of Scotland.

I see you have decided to go with a Honda Blackbird engine for your build. I am changing the engine in my Barracuda from a 2000 Blackbird to a Hayabusa therefore I have a set of custom built stainless steel headers to suit a Blackbird engine in a Barracuda frame. I may be interested in selling them as they will not fit the busa.

The blackbird engine (which came with the buggy) was great and has loads of power however I decided as I always wanted to fit a Busa engine that I should just do it. I will also be selling the Blackbird engine, st/steel headers, wiring loom, dash, oil cooler in fact all the blackbird parts as a job lot or I can split it. I know you already have one but someone else out there may be interested.

cheers
Mark
mjsork
Registered Member

Next

Return to Barracuda