2008 Supercar Sweepstakes.

All the latest news and chat about SEQMBC.

Moderator: Sean (Foggy) Leggett

2008 Supercar Sweepstakes.

Postby Rod Thomson » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:05 pm

Okay guys and gals, its on again, the SEQMBC 2008 V8 Supercar Sweepstakes.

Short notice I know, however with the sale of franchises and folding of teams within V8 Supercar land, its made it awfully difficult for me to determine exactly what teams are running this year. Also with all the franchise/license changes the number of two car teams has been in a state of flux for a number of weeks. For example, last weekend we had 13 two car teams and 6 single car teams. Today we only have 12 two car teams and who knows how many single car teams....

However, fear not for I am brilliant and can overcome any adversity!

What I am proposing and running this year is again a 14 round competition with 14 competitors. There are again 14 rounds in the V8 Supercar championship, however only 12 two car teams. Solution, split the single car teams into two seperate additional teams. Team 13, all single car Holdens, Team 14 all single car Fords. Henceforth known as PHT and PFT (Privateer Holden Teams & Privateer Ford Teams).

Therefore our 14 Teams for this year are;

888. Vodaphone Triple 8 Racing.
BJR. Team BOC Brad Jones Racing.
BRI. Fujitsu/Irwin Tools Britek Racing.
DJR. Jim Beam Dick Johnson Racing.
FPR. Ford Performance Racing.
GRM. Valvoline Garry Rogers Motorsport.
HRT. Holden Racing Team.
HSV. Holden Special Vehicles Dealer Team.
LPM. Jack Daniels Perkins Motorsport.
PMM. Sirromett/Supercheap Paul Morris Motorsport.
SBR. Stone Brothers Racing.
TAS. Tasman Motorsport.
PHT. Privateer Holden Teams. (including Paul Wheel Racing & Rod Nash Racing....)
PFT. Privateer Ford Teams. (including Paul Cruikshank Racing, Team Kiwi Racing, Ford Rising Stars....)

Problem solved. Not exactly sure how many privateer Holdens or Privateer Fords there will be yet, however as everybody gets each team once, its not an issue.....

Competition rules and cost will be exactly the same as last year, with the added proviso's...$100 of entrants fees must be paid in by Round 3 on competition. All $280 competition fees must be paid in by Round 10 of competition. If not fees paid to this point will be forfeited to the SEQMBC and competitor in default will be booted out of the competition. NO CORRESPONDENCE WILL BE ENTERED INTO ON THIS POINT! Like it or lump it. The reason, were still waiting balance of competition fees from last year.....

Therefore 14 round competition costs $20 per round, equals total competition cost per competitor of $280. Minimum $100 per competitor must be paid by 20th April (This figure will not include any winnings to this point). Full competition fee on $280 must be paid by 12th October (this figure may include winnings to this time).

Round winnings of $50, $30 & $20 will continue for first three round placegetters. Competition outright winners will recieve $600 for 1st place. $380 for 2nd and $280 for 3rd.

Therefore, if all fees are paid a sum of $2660 is available as prize winnings to competitors. If all fees are not paid, prize fund will shrink accordingly....

Rules may be a bit tougher and not to your liking.... but who wants to play? Register your intent on this forum by this weekend. That includes all members who nominated at Saturdays meeting. First round is only 10 days away....

Regards,
Rod.
Rod Thomson
Trax II

Postby Dan Evans » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:34 pm

count me in rod
Dan Evans
Taipan

V8 Supercars

Postby big-boy-toyz » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:39 pm

If you don't win! try again! You can count me in!
there's no replacement
for displacement...
FJ 1100 Piranha...
big-boy-toyz
Registered Member

Postby Rod Thomson » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:55 pm

Okay guys and gals, nominations for the 2008 V8 Supercar sweepstakes have closed. All 14 nominees have been filled.

This years entry list is;

Big Boyz Toyz, Biggans, Dan, d'Rat, Ed, Foggy, Greg, Luke, Mick, Reg, Rod, Stevo, Trojan & Young Gun.

The Sweepstake season draw will be conducted Thursday evening and posted shortly afterwards. All V8 Supercar teams will be posted tomorrow, with Teams, drivers, cars and car numbers.

Could all nominees could please ensure your $100 is paid into the account by this weekend. Thankyou.

Cheers,
Rod.
The Buggy Bug Bites Deep!
Rod Thomson
Trax II

Postby Rod Thomson » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:09 am

2008 V8 Supercar Sweepstakes Details.

V8 Supercar Championship Calendar.

Rd 1. Clipsal 500, Adelaide. Feb 21 - 24. 2 races.

Rd 2. Eastern Creek, Sydney. Mar 7 - 9. 3 races.

Rd 3. Hamilton 400, Hamilton NZ. Apr 18 - 20. 3 races.

Rd 4. Bigpond 400, Barbagallo Perth. May 9 - 11. 3 races.

Rd 5. Sandown 400, Melbourne. Jun 7 - 9. 3 races.

Rd 6. Sky City Triple Crown, Hidden Valley, Darwin. Jul 4 - 6. 3 races.

Rd 7. Queensland 400, Ipswich. Jul 18 - 20. 3 races.

Rd 8. Winton Raceway. Benalla. Aug 1 - 3. 3 races.

Rd 9. L & H 500, Phillip Island. Sep 12 - 14. 2 races.

Rd 10. Supercheap Auto 1000, Mount Panorama, Bathurst. Oct 9 - 12. 1 race.

Rd 11. Indy V8 Challenge, Gold Coast. Oct 23 - 26. 3 races.

Rd 12. Desert 400, Bahrain. Nov 6 - 8. 3 races.

Rd 13. Tasmanian Challenge, Symmons Plains, Launceston. Nov 21 - 23. 3 races.

Rd 14. Grand Final, Oran Park, Sydney. Dec 4 - 7. 3 races.

V8 Supercar 2008 Championship Pointscore System.

Another new year, another new points scoring system for V8 Supercars :roll: .
This year the points system is scoring all the way down to 30th position. Therefore every car that finishes a race will score points. Unfortunately (for me) that means the points spread will be much greater and therefore a lot more mathematics will be involved compiling the sweepstakes points :x .

To make matters more difficult, there are 4 seperate pointscore permutations to cover the three race formats :shock: .

Why 4 you ask? Well I'm glad you did, because I wouldn't want anybody to be in the dark....

The 500k enduro, the pre Bathurst warm up event held every September, has been transferred from Sandown to Phillip Island. Not content with just changing venues, V8 Supercars, in there wisdom have decided to have a 120k sprint race on the Saturday, plus the traditional 500k enduro on the Sunday :shock: . What this means is there will be a second permutation of points spread for 2 race meets :? .

All events score maximum 300 points for winning driver. That means single race event (Bathurst) will score 300 points for first. The three race events will score 100 points for the winner of each individual race (win all 3 and score 300 points).

The two race events, Clipsal and Phillip Island however differ in there format. Clipsal has two equal distance 250k races, therefore the winner of each race will receive 150 points, simple. Phillip Island, on the other hand is holding two races of differing distances. The Saturday sprint race will score 100 points for the winner (as per three race events). The 500k Sunday race will score 200 points for the winner. So again, maximum 300 points available for the round. Got that, clear as mud isn't it :shock: .

But never fear, you guys a lucky enough to have ME! in charge of this operation :wink: and since I am so brilliant and have such passion and devotion to motorsport and my buggy club 8) I can and will be able to provide accurate sweep stake scores round by round!

In a nut shell;

3 race events score 100 points for 1st, 92 pts for 2nd, 86 pts for 3rd down to 10 pts for 30th position, per race.

The 2 race Clipsal event scores 150 points for 1st, 138 pts for 2nd, 129 pts for 3rd down to 15 pts for 30th. Again per race.
The Phillip Island sprint race scores the same as a regular 3 race event, 100 pts down to 10 pts. The 500k enduro score 200 points for 1st, 184 pts for 2nd, 172 [pts for 3rd, down to 20 pts for 30th.

Bathurst scores 300 points for the winner, 276 points for 2nd, 258 pts for 3rd down to 30 pts for 30th position.

If you were expecting a full points score break down of 1st to 30th positions for each of the four systems YOU WERE SADLY MISTAKEN! I will not be typing all 120 point variations. If you want to know the full points system, go to the V8 Supercars web site, enter the About V8s tab, then click on Tech Talk where you will find the heading V8 Supercar championship points.

I have printed off a hard copy so I can keep an up to date and accurate points tally of our sweepstake results.

At the end of each round of the V8 Supercar Championship I will post each contestants individual and round scores. Look out for this weekend Clipsal results on Sunday night or Monday morning.

Next, the V8 teams for 2008.

Cheers,
Rod.
Rod Thomson
Trax II

Postby Rod Thomson » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:40 am

2008 V8 Supercar Teams.

The 14 teams to be shared amongst the 14 contestants across the 14 rounds of this years sweepstake are;

BRAD JONES RACING.

Car #12. BOC Gases Holden. Andrew Jones.
Car #14. WOW Holden. Cameron McConville.
This team will be referred to throughout the sweepstake competition as BJR.

BRITEK MOTORSPORT.

Car #25. Fujitsu Ford. Jason Bright.
Car #26. Irwin Tools Ford. Marcus Marshall.
Team to be known as BRI.

DICK JOHNSON RACING.

Car #17. Jim Beam Ford. Steven Johnson.
Car #18. Jim Beam Ford. Will Davison.
To be known as DJR.

FORD PERFORMANCE RACING.

Car #5. Orrcon Ford. Mark Winterbottom.
Car #6. Castrol Ford. Steven Richards.
To be known as FPR.

FORD PRIVATEER TEAMS.

Car #021. Team Kiwi Racing Ford. Kane Scott.
Car #111. Glenford Tools Paul Cruikshank Racing Ford. Fabian Coulthard.
Car #777. Ausdrill Ford Rising Stars Racing Ford. Micheal Patrizi.
To be known as FPT.

GARRY ROGERS MOTORSPORT.

Car #33. Valvoline Cummins Holden. Lee Holdsworth.
Car #34. Valvoline Cummins Holden. Micheal Caruso.
To be known as GRM.

HOLDEN PRIVATEER TEAMS.

Car #50. Paul Wheel Performance Products Holden. Andrew Thompson.
Car #55. The Bottle-O Rod Nash Racing Holden. Tony D'Alberto.
To be known as HPT.

HOLDEN RACING TEAM.

Car #1. Toll Mobil Holden. Garth Tander.
Car #2. Toll Mobil Holden. Mark Skaife.
To be known as HRT.

HOLDEN SPECIAL VEHICLES DEALER TEAM.

Car #15. Toll Holden. Rick Kelly.
Car #16. Autobarn Holden. Paul Dumbrell.
To be known as HSV.

LARRY PERKINS ENGINEERING.

Car #7. Jack Daniels Holden. Todd Kelly.
Car #11. Jack Daniels Holden. Shane Price.
To be known as LPE.

PAUL MORRIS MOTORSPORT.

Car #39. Supercheap Auto Holden. Russell Ingall.
Car #67. Supercheap Auto Holden. Paul Morris.
To be known as PMM.

STONE BROTHERS RACING.

Car #4. Stegbar Ford. James Courtney.
Car #9. SP Tools Ford. Shane Van Gisbergen.
To be known as SBR.

TASMAN MOTORSPORT.

Car #3. Sprint Gas Holden. Jason Richards.
Car #51. Sprint Gas Holden. Greg Murphy.
To be known as TAS.

TRIPLE EIGHT RACING.

Car #88. Vodaphone Ford. Jamie Whincup.
Car #888. Vodaphone Ford. Craig Lowndes.
To be known as T8R.

This covers 29 of the 30 entrants in this years championship. Another Team, Walden Motorsport has also entered. However this is a very new team put together at the last minute and at this stage I still dont know if there running a Ford or a Holden. Once I know this team will be added to either the FPT or HPT rosters.

At this stage still not even sure if this team will be at Adelaide. I do know that The Ausdrill Ford Rising Stars entry will not be at Adelaide. Again another new team not quite ready. They will be at round 2. Will update as information comes to hand.

So there are your race teams for this years sweepstakes. If you require any further information, like who the hell is Micheal Patrizi, Kane Scott or Andrew Thompson etc, drop us a post and I'll supply a history or answer any other questions.

Actually, I know there are quite a few passionate V8 supporters out, so I would like to encourage you to have a say about the racing season. You know, is Lowndesy still Fords best bet for a championship, or have Frosty and Jamie Whincup usurped Lowndsey as Fords main hope.
Was Todd Kell screwed by Walkinshaw with his move the the Perkins team. How do you think he will perform there?
Do you think cutting the grid sizes back to 26 or 28 cars is a good idea......

Feedback and motor racing chat would be much appreciated by this motor sports tragic.

Cheers,
Rod.
Rod Thomson
Trax II

Postby Reg » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:18 pm

good onya rod, thanks for the info.

motor sports tragic, what an understatement :lol:
Reg
Trax II

Postby Rod Thomson » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:15 pm

Sweepstake draw completed by Mrs Enos and Mrs Rod at 7:00pm Thursday 21st Feb (Happy Birthday Shirl).

Your Teams for Round one of the sweep stakes are;

Trojan - Tasman Motorsport.

Ed - Stone Bros racing.

Stevo - Britek Motorsport.

Young Gun - Dick Johnson Racing.

Luke - Triple 8 Racing.

Dan - Holden Special Vehicles.

Reg - Holden Racing team.

Biggans - Brad Jones Racing.

Greg - Garry Rogers Motorsport.

Mick - Ford Privateer Teams.

d'Rat - Paul Morris Motorsport.

Big Boyz Toyz - Holden Privateer Teams.

Rod - Ford Performance Racing.

Foggy - Larry Perkins Engineering.

Good Luck all.

Cheers,
Rod.
Rod Thomson
Trax II

Postby Sean (Foggy) Leggett » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:16 pm

Thanks Rod, Mrs Rod and Mrs Enos!
Mate you have a wasted talent, you should be working as a roving reporter for AA or some other publication of the likes!

Mate just so everyone is clear is the teams going to move down the page like last year? For eg I have Larry Perkins this round so I will then have Ford Performance for next round?

Cheers,
Foggy
ZX14 powered CudaX Image

Sold!!!!!
http://www.dreeme.com
http://www.seqmbc.com
Sean (Foggy) Leggett
Piranha

Postby Rod Thomson » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback mate, I agree with your sentiments :lol: .

re the rotation of teams, yes and yes.

Yes it will rotate, but in the opposite direction to what you mentioned. You were the last name drawn, this week you have the Larry Perkins Jack Daniels cars. Next round you will rotate to the top of the list and have the Tasman team. Trojan, who has Tasman this round will drop down to the team listed below him this week, Stone Bros for the next round. Ford Performance Racing, the team listed above you, will be the team you get in the final round (which might be a good thing for you competition wise). Comprende?

Hope that clears it up for everyone. I am about to draw up a spread sheet with all competitors teams per round for the season, which will be used as the competition score sheet (same as the one I did last year which you have seen) and if I can figure out how, will paste or copy link to on this forum. That way all will know who they have for each round well in advance.

Cheers All,
Rod.
THE BUGGY BUG BITES DEEP. THE MOTORSPORT BUG, EVEN DEEPER!
Last edited by Rod Thomson on Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rod Thomson
Trax II

Postby Rod Thomson » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:39 pm

Friday morning, Clipsal practise and qualifying have not yet started (okay practise may have, but I haven't seen any times yet). Time for some crystal ball gazing.

James Courtney to be one of if not the fastest qualifier... :shock:

Reigning champ, Garth Tander to be fast and probably favourite to win, despite changing teams :roll: .

Todd Kelly in Jack Daniels Holden to be one of the leading Holden runners (I hope) embarrassing the Walkinshaw organisation who unceremoniously dumped him at the end of last season :P .

The Paul Morris team, despite the acquisition of Ingall and Supercheap, still be no more than mid field runners and creators of most on track damage :? . Which will be a shame, because there off track organisation is second to none.

Looking forward to the battle between the leading Ford drivers to see who will be best title chance, Whincup, Lowndes, Winterbottom, even Courtney. Hopefully the DJR boys can get involved too.

How will the HRT driver pairing pan out. Tander, at the peak of his powers and still in my opinion short priced favourite for the title. Verses Skaife, fading hero, five time championship winner and still undoubtedly one of the most talented and committed guys out there.

Long range forecast. If (and I know its a big IF) Skaife doesn't have a good year behind the wheel..... He retires as a driver to concentrate on team management. And HRT hires..... James Courtney as his replacement for next year :shock: . Yes Courtney is off contract at the end of this year. (Luke will not be pleased with that outcome)

Hopefully these few comments will start some discussion on this post, come on Biggans and Foggy, whatd'ya think...

Cheers,
Rod.
Rod Thomson
Trax II

Postby Tony » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:26 pm

I think James Courtney still has a lot to prove.

The Paul Morris team would be better off substituting Paul Morris with a better driver, but that’s not going to happen as the team is Paul Morris's plaything.
Paul’s cars are OK & the team preparation of their cars is great,
Ingall may do well there as he can drive & the Morris cars are reliable.
Ingall may bring into the team some better car setup skills.

Garth has huge potential, I agree he has possibly the best chance of another championship, he has the anger in him & he can control it.

Rick Kelly will be the other one to watch.
He's becoming more mature & better disciplined, he has the skill.

Can Larry Perkins give Todd Kelly a decent car, more to the point a reliable car?
Or like Ingall, can he bring some setup skills to the team & help them develop the car.

Lownes Hmmm, Ford has not been good to him & he doesn't have that many years left.
He is an amazing talent, I think it’s been wasted in the past driving for teams that have not got the level of support required for a top level driver.
His last two years have been better, but will his car be up to it this season.

Whincup, Bright & Winterbottom I think will be the Ford drivers to watch.

Skaife I think his issues are too much to do, he can't stop thinking about the team organization while he is driving.
Staying focused is his issue I think.

Murphy was once up there, but has not had a decent car for a few seasons & still hasn’t.

But know matter what the drivers & teams skills motor sport is always plagued by crashes, incidents, penalties, reliability & if you believe in fate, then plain bad luck.
These things throw a curly one into the clinical discipline & screw it all up.
Last edited by Tony on Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
Administrator

Postby Sean (Foggy) Leggett » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:56 pm

I think a big thing this year is the new sequential gear box set up! A few of the old school may (and I say MAY) have difficulties getting a grip on it straight away??? That would play into peoples hand like Courtney!

I really don't mind if its a Holden or Ford's year, as long as the one driver doesn't win just about every god dam race! It shits me when that happens just like the years of the Red Barron's rain!

Bring on a action packed year that keeps all of us Holden or Ford glued to our seat waiting for some one to stuff up so the other can pounce. I am really looking forward to the first race in anger for the year!.....................Go Ford!!

Cheers,
Foggy
ZX14 powered CudaX Image

Sold!!!!!
http://www.dreeme.com
http://www.seqmbc.com
Sean (Foggy) Leggett
Piranha

Postby Reg » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:38 pm

geez foggy, with this weeks draw i thought you might have been wanting holdens to win , i know i do
Reg
Trax II

Postby Rod Thomson » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:22 pm

Firstly,

Sorry Foggy, you were right, you have FPR next week and TAS last round. Brain fade I my behalf there... lets blame it on Ross.

Trojan, I'm more than happy to open the forum up to other forms of motorsport, my personal favourite veiwing of the past couple of years has been Moto Gp, now those boys turn it on, all classes too.
And I agree about the name, to me its still the Australian Touring Car Championship.

However, V8 Supercars is the premier motor racing category in this country, whether you agree with it or not. It has the money, it has the fans and most importantly it has the best drivers and teams competing in it. Not only that, most teams and drivers not already there, want to be there.

Tony, yeah Skaifey's biggest problem is too much on his plate, as I said he's still one of the most talented and determined drivers out there. And I also agree about Brighty, if he didn't keep leaving teams to take on new challenges, I think he could have been a series champion by now, maybe a couple of times. His development skills are second to none ( despite Foggy's insistence he is the ugliest man in Australian motor sport). If he had stayed with FPR I honestly believe he could have won last years championship.

Anyway, down to the business at hand...

Ford supporters will be happy, Whincup on pole, Courtney second and Winterbottom third in qualifying. Tander fastest Holden in fourth, then two more Fords in Davison and Lowndes before the next Holden, which is (surprise, surprise) Lee Holdsworth in the GRM car.

Steven Johnson and Steven Richards are next up in there Fords, before next surprise... Paul Dumbrell in 10th qualifying position at 3rd fastest Holden. Todd Kelly and Rick Kelly round out the top dozen, with Skaifey 14th, Brighty 17th and Rusty 18th.

Bring on the first race tomorrow....

Cheers,
Rod.
Rod Thomson
Trax II

Postby trojan » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:56 pm

... "we've always been at war with Eastasia."
Don't ya hate it when you put your heart into something only to have political c**ts who've contributed little by comparison, knife you in the back?
trojan
Piranha

Postby trojan » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:22 pm

Can anyone tell me how the 3 exhaust outlets are configured back to the motor?
Don't ya hate it when you put your heart into something only to have political c**ts who've contributed little by comparison, knife you in the back?
trojan
Piranha

Postby Reg » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:36 pm

F&$*@%g fords!!!, just upset my weekend, hope your happy luke :cry:
Reg
Trax II

Postby Sean (Foggy) Leggett » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:22 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D .....Go Ford!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
Sean (Foggy) Leggett
Piranha

Postby Reg » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:37 pm

i knew i'd get a bite, no, they deserved it, the blue team have started this year where off where they finished last year, pretty strong, lot of racing left yet tho.

i have to agree on what the commentators said, a new breed of young drivers are the ones to watch. how true.
Reg
Trax II

Next

Return to South East Qld Mini Buggy Club