Barra Cams Comp Build

General buggy discussion....

Barra Cams Comp Build

Postby Weldit » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:08 pm

I am starting a build. I have one of many questions.
I wish to create a barra that is comp able, and as I have read in your forum you must build with the correct thickness in the wall size of the tube and RHS, to get cams approval. I should also widen the suspension arms front and rear for more stability, is this correct, and if so how much thicker for the wall thickness, all over the frame? and how much wider on the arms. Correct me if I'm wrong about these things as I do not wish to build buggy and then get told that I can't compete some were.
I am Victoria based.
Also if I build with a bussa gen 2 motor I need to lengthen the engine bay to accommodate said motor. Plus I must also run 15" wheels all round as this is a cams requirement.
Anything else I would need to know would be a great help
Weldit
Registered Member

Re: Barra Cams Comp Build

Postby Tony » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:22 pm

A gen II motor fits in the standard chassis.
You need to download the CAMS rules & check materials required as well as the extra bars/braces required.
Most of the chassis needs to be 38.1x2.6 tube.
15" rims are not a CAMS requirement, but larger 30" tyres get more traction, capable of higher speeds & run over bumps better than smaller wheels.
As well as allow larger brakes.
You don't need to make the suspension arms longer, that is personal choice if you are chasing more suspension travel.
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Postby Corza19 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:29 pm

Hi mate, I wont be able to answer all your questions but I'll see if I can help... :P

As for the chassis; The main roll bars which are 25NB (33.7mm OD) tube, is ditched for some 38.1mm CDS (Cold Drawn Seamless) tube instead. As for the smaller braces which are 20NB in the plans; I am unsure if these tubes are increased in size as well, I'm guessing they would jump up to 25NB, but in CDS as well?

For the RHS base frame, it is upgraded to 40x40 RHS (I'm guessing 2.5mm thick walls ?), and the chassis is generally extended 100mm in drivers area (extra space for extinguisher, first aid pack etc... and just generally more room) and 100mm in engine bay for easier access to components, easer to work on, and more space for a more fancy exhaust....

I haven't heard of lengthening the arms for more stability so I can't help you there.

I hope I have somewhat answered your questions... if you post this on the EDGE Facebook page you will get some better answers no doubt... unless Tony replies on here.

There is a quite a few good threads on here to read, one of which being Dylan's ZX14 Cuda; viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8165

Cheers

EDIT: Tony beat me to it! haha
"Drop a gear and disappear"
Corza19
Trax II

Postby Weldit » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:46 am

Thank you guys for the help
Weldit
Registered Member

Return to Buggy Chat