Big Al's Piranha

Re: Big Al's Piranha

Postby Rayatswan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:19 am

Hi Al, looking good mate. bet your getting toey to get it going. The filter you have on your fuel tank is similar to the one i have on my oil catch tank and i found that liquid could pass thru it. I got it muddy and hosed it off and water got into the catch tank. You may find that fuel can get out or water can get in in its current position. I made a cover from a cat food can painted black and this stopped my problems, i dont think it will help stop fuel sloshing out of yours.

Perhaps mounted higher may help.....Ray
Rayatswan
Fun Kart

Postby Big Al » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:59 pm

Ray thanks for the info on the filter. I wasnt sure how it would hold up with fuel sloshing around. I fitted a roll over check valve before the filter but I dont know if that will help, I might have to mount it higher and look for a can of wiskers :lol: . Has it stopped raining up your way yet and have you had a chance to take your beast for a run lately? Bluezone how is your build going, any updates? I will be working on the side intrusion bars this weekend and maybe clipping the wings of the piranha. cheers Al
Big Al
Registered Member

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:32 pm

Looks great mate!

Get those bloody wings off :lol: :lol: :lol: Should look a million buck afterwards - you can use my bender for the nerf bars if you need too as well.
"Without dissapointment you can't appreciate victory" - Memphis Raines

Piranha Mark II - The Phoenix build underway!
Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Jet » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:38 pm

Plus one!
<a href="http://www.digrite.com.au/racing#!digrite-racing/c23vw">Check out the latest video and Pictures from Digrite Racing</a>
Jet
Barracuda

Postby Rayatswan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:55 am

I have to agree with Mongrel, Piranha's look much better with the wings gone, are you going to fit nerf bars? i wasn't a big fan of them either but a mate talked me into them and now i wouldn't go without them. I took my buggy for a run in the state forest about a week ago and a back wheel almost fell off, I must have forgotten to tighten the wheel nuts up and since then it has not stopped raining, its getting very frustrating. I have been making a few adjustments to caster and camber on my front end but havn't had a chance to try it yet. I am also in the process of aquiring parts for a front end replacement, the front works much better than i thought it would but i am still a bit nervy about Tonys warning that quad hubs and spindles are not up to the job, there are no signs of fatigue but he has much more experience with this stuff than me so perhaps his advice should be heeded. Anyway I brought Jets nissin 4 piston calipers and i just received 2 ventilated / crossd rilled discs so theres no turning back now. Keep up the good work Al and keep us posted
Ray
PS. have you heard when the next SORRA meet is on and are we invited again.... Cheers
Rayatswan
Fun Kart

Postby Big Al » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:08 pm

A bit more progress today, I have removed the wings and got the side intrusion bars tack welded in place. I have attached a few photos of my clipped piranha and a steering wheel adaptor boss. Ray I will be fitting nerf bars at a later stage, I might need some help with the bending Jez, thanks. Ray get some photos up and let us see how the front end is progressing. Cheers Al, time for a beer :D
31-07-10_1545.jpg
31-07-10_1545.jpg (147.3 KiB) Viewed 4915 times
31-07-10_1546.jpg
31-07-10_1546.jpg (117.3 KiB) Viewed 4915 times
31-07-10_1547.jpg
31-07-10_1547.jpg (113.17 KiB) Viewed 4915 times
Big Al
Registered Member

Postby Big Al » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:43 pm

A bit more progress, started working on the steering this week. Tony you have a great looking rack :D , no I don't normally say that to blokes.
05-08-10_1625.jpg
05-08-10_1625.jpg (145.34 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
05-08-10_1624.jpg
05-08-10_1624.jpg (163.39 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
Big Al
Registered Member

Postby Bluezone » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:09 pm

Nice work man. Your beating me. :( But I got a 5 day weekend next weekend so will get lots done. :)
Bluezone
Piranha

Postby Big Al » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:57 pm

With all that time off you will be able to make me a welder trolley and send it over to Oz. Your trolley looks great, have you thought of putting a Busa in it :D . Keep us updated with the build, it keeps us motivated.
Big Al
Registered Member

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:04 pm

That looks horny as (get it :lol: )

Front end looks bloody good mate!
"Without dissapointment you can't appreciate victory" - Memphis Raines

Piranha Mark II - The Phoenix build underway!
Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Bluezone » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:46 pm

Big Al wrote:With all that time off you will be able to make me a welder trolley and send it over to Oz. Your trolley looks great, have you thought of putting a Busa in it :D . Keep us updated with the build, it keeps us motivated.

LOL. Mate your dreaming. lol Bloody aussies. :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28pbk_cQx-w

Thanks man will keep you updated.
Bluezone
Piranha

Postby Rayatswan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:33 am

Hi Al, hows the build coming along, havnt heard much from you lateley, must be getting close mate. Have you heard anything about the next SORRA meet or about the club? cheers.... Ray
Rayatswan
Fun Kart

Postby Big Al » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:22 am

Hi Ray, good to hear from you. My build is progressing slowly, I picked up an acewell digital speedo/tacho and got that installed in my dash. Also got the cv conversion kit from tony and are currently in the process of putting that in, will need to modify the rear lower frame arms to make some more clearance for the chain as it will contact the frame when using the 60 tooth rear sprocket :( . I ordered some CV's and axles from pacific customs in the states last week so hopefully they will turn up this week or next. Will just need to get a set of front and rear springs from tony and sort out my clutch cable, tidy up the wiring, mount an oil cooler and fan, finish the panel work, bleed the brakes and it should be ready for a test run. I havent heard anything about the next SORRA meeting but hopefully there will be something coming up soon. How is your build progressing with the modifications? I will be up your way for a wedding in Cessnock from 7-10 October (Bathurst weekend, what was he thinking getting married on the most important weekend of the year. Must be pussy whipped :roll: ) so I might be able to catch up. If you send me an email (allister.coney@defence.gov.au) with your contact details I will try and catch up if you are free over that time. Will try and get some current build photos up this weekend. Cheers Al
Big Al
Registered Member

Postby spoiltone » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:04 pm

how does it sounds with them pipes like that? i trying to find out if it ok to run cylinder 1/2 out one side and 3/4 out other. like you did.

tony suggest 1/4 together and 2/3 together out other side.

also have you got acewell dash yet? are you happy with it, i looked at them but the tacho just wasn't big enought for me. so went with other type check my build, it should turn up today or tommrow.

looking good by the way..
99.9% completed barracuda with 02 zzr1200 are they truely ever finished?
spoiltone
Taipan

Postby Big Al » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:31 am

Spoiltone, the pipes sound good. I was not worried about the performance gains of the 1/4 and 2/3 - 4 into 1 system as I am only using an old CB 900 engine and it was easier to make the exhaust out each side. If I was using a newer engine I would go to the trouble of making the 4 into 1 system. I am happy with the acewell tacho as my engine will probably only rev to about 9000 max which is the extent of the bar graph on the acewell unit, however the digital number rpm display goes to about 19,000 rpm and it has a shift light as well so that shouldnt be any problems if your max rpm is between 10 - 19k rpm. Keep up the excellent work with your build, look forward to catching up for a run one day when we both get finished :D . Cheers Al
Big Al
Registered Member

Postby spoiltone » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:54 pm

yeah i got my unit today, went with a different one, as the tacho was larger, and open the box and it only about 70mm.. which is good cause it will fit in my dash. but i wanted bigger o well. it be ok. it got everything i need tahco,speed temp, over rev light , over temp, oil light netural light. it got all fruit, just hope i can see it. when running.. anyway. trial and error.. complete unit is about 190mm wide, 100mm high and 30mm thick..
99.9% completed barracuda with 02 zzr1200 are they truely ever finished?
spoiltone
Taipan

Postby Bluezone » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:41 pm

Any updates?
Bluezone
Piranha

Postby Rayatswan » Thu May 19, 2011 6:36 pm

Havn't seen or heard from you for a while Al, are you still into the buggy scene...... Ray
Rayatswan
Fun Kart

Postby Big Al » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:56 pm

Hi Guys, I have been off the radar for a while but have managed to just about finish my buggy. I am in the process of building a trailer so I can get it out for a good test run, probably at frogmore park.
Big Al
Registered Member

Postby Rayatswan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:35 pm

Hey Al, how are you? Good to hear your buggy is almost finished, any photos?, let us know how it goes on your test run..... Ray
Rayatswan
Fun Kart

PreviousNext

Return to Tell Us About Your Ride !