Samuel's Piranha Build

Postby joost » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:47 am

hi,

Is there a insert tube in the 40x40?

I have done the same thing with my Piranha.
But i didn't placed an insert tube in the 40x40
Do you think it will be wreck?
is This is an option
or this

This is maby stronger.
joost
Trax II

Postby Bildo » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:51 pm

As i understand it, the more welds you have on a piece of steel, the more stress concentrators you have. The weld it's self is extremley strong, but a small contour around the weld is a real weak spot.
Generally, it's not your weld that will break, but the weld will tear out and area around the weld, where this 'soft' spot is located.

Tube inside the tube is the best bet, also allows for more 'penetration' when your welding.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari
Bildo
Trax II

Postby chrishallett83 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:20 pm

There is also the effect that welding has on the crystalline structure of the steel - after it is manufactured, the carbon in the steel is evenly deposited throughout the nice small gran structure of the cold formed steel. After welding, not only is the very structure of the steel massively modified, but the carbon is concetrated where the srtucture is weakest, further reducing its strength. A page from my favourite text book explains it much better than I will ever be able to: Image
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" - Douglas Bader
chrishallett83
Vulture

Postby Walshee » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:58 pm

That is a mighty fine build you have going on there Mate !!!
Very Neat.

There are heaps of places to go hooning around up north in Tassie !
Perun Dunes is good for a Raz and to camp near.

Also some great Gravel pits around the place up here 2 :P
Walshee
Registered Member

Postby bikebits92 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:20 pm

Cheers mate,
Someone else had mentioned perun dunes before and said that it was a good place to go, so that might be where im heading then. Who knows, maybe when you finish yours we could meet up and have a play in the sand!
Samuel
SV650 Piranha In Tassie...
90% complete! Getting Close Now!
bikebits92
Fun Kart

Postby Walshee » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:54 pm

Be aware that to drive at Perun Dunes you will need to have your buggy RV Registered :(
Walshee
Registered Member

Postby David Reid » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:31 pm

What's involved in that then?
VTR1000 fire storm Cuda waiting to be given Life....
David Reid
Taipan

Postby bikebits92 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:27 pm

Damn! I thought that might be the case...
Yeh, Will i need indicators and mudguards etc?
I spose that an engineer will need to pass the frame...
Do you know much about it walshee???
bikebits92
Fun Kart

Postby Walshee » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:59 pm

I must admit that I dont know that much really ???
And the bloody service Tasmania sight isn't very helpfull at all (What a suprise !!!).
But I'm looking into it at the moment as I want to make sure my buggy will meet there requirements.
I'll keep ya posted.
Walshee
Registered Member

Postby bikebits92 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:25 pm

Did some more work on the buggy this weekend... No pics though, i will get some next weekend.
Fully welded the two lower rear swingarms and one of the upper rear swingarms, also modified the front stub axles to suit my brake calipers and recieved my front rims and wheels from the edge during the week. Would have had them installed if i hadn't forgot about the valves! Bolted the motor and radiator in the frame and it wont be coming back out until after the testing and it is ready for paint, and have started on the wiring... What a mess! Will be welding the rear hubs completely one day this week.
I also purcahsed a Yoshimura silencer during the week. Does anyone know what the stock header length is from the flange to the collector for each of the cylinders is? I Roughly measured 800mm for each of the cylinders and then about 200mm for the bit after the collector going to the silencer.
Does this sound right? Will be attempting to sand bend the exhaust tubing maybe this weekend.
It is getting close now! should have the motor ready to be started in three weeks and in about two months i will be putting in a big order from the edge for the rest of the stuff i need...

Cheers,
Samuel
bikebits92
Fun Kart

Postby bikebits92 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:07 pm

Got the pics that i promised last weekend,
I also did a fair bit more work this weekend, I did alot to the steering and setup the whole front end. i started making the other swingarm that i havn't done and i also measured up the radiator hoses etc and will be buying them this week some time. also going to buy the exhaust tubing this week so that i can have a crack at the sand bending soon. and going to buy the front shocks from tony this week too so that i can set up the front end.

The wheels are only red because my grandfather was painting his tractor and he had some left in the gun so i just sprayed it on to see how it will hold up to the abuse! I think i will powdercoat them a darker pearl red later on.
bikebits92
Fun Kart

Postby joost » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:19 pm

looks great!!!
joost
Trax II

Postby bikebits92 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:54 pm

Had a little bit of a fiddle again this weekend.
Didn't get much done but here it is...

I roughly setup the muffler so that i can get my exhaust bent this week.
Im not going to sand bend any more as the bloke at the exhaust place told me that it is only about $2 a bend.
I also recieved my front shocks and started setting them up...

Cheers,
Samuel
bikebits92
Fun Kart

Postby bikebits92 » Sun May 31, 2009 4:36 pm

Got a bit more progress to report of...
Finally after a year of it not doing anything i got the engine running! Man it sounds awesum!
Had it idling for about ten minutes yesterday to get it up to temp and make sure everything was fine. Temp got to about 94C and thermostat opened went down to 70ish...
Everything seemed to be good but was running abit rough probably because the exhaust isn't fully welded!
also did abit more to the front end and nearly got my pedals mounted. And my proper fuel tank is being welded this week...
started to make a gear change lever and also got half my floor bolted down.
anyway, enough of me babbling, here are a few pics.
Samuel

Notice the red tin under the radiator... Thats the current feul tank!! Does a good job...
bikebits92
Fun Kart

Postby David Reid » Sun May 31, 2009 7:40 pm

What are ya gonna do for a tank?
VTR1000 fire storm Cuda waiting to be given Life....
David Reid
Taipan

Postby bikebits92 » Sun May 31, 2009 8:16 pm

Im just making one of the wing tanks with some 2.5 alu Chequer plate, which is being welded this week.
Samuel
bikebits92
Fun Kart

Re: Samuel's Piranha Build

Postby bikebits92 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:59 pm

Abit more progress to report of!
She's coming together now, Planning on having it finished by mid october!
Im buying the rest of the rear end parts from tony this week and will be getting fox air shocks from the states a couple of weeks after that.
I'm at the stage where you spend a weekend on little things that dont look like much, this is definately the most time consuming part!
Anyway, Heres the pics...

Did abit to the pedals and getting the accelerator cable made this week,
also welded a nut to one of the pedal mounting tabs and drilled a hole through the nut and the pin and will be putting a roller pin in it to stop the pin from spinning on the mounts instead of the bushes.
I also had the swingarms off and finished welding the shock mounts etc completely.

Whilst I had the swinarms off I did a little mod that I feel will make them abit more rigid.

And I added one last engine mount to the rear mount.

Started looking into the wiring, I think I will end up sticking it on a trailer when I get it rolling and taking it to a Auto Elec mate.

My column that I picked up today.

I decided to make my own seat just for the fact of when people say nice seat, where did you get it from, I can say I made it!

And I thought I might put up some pics of my Grandfathers shed, Where the buggy has been for the last six months.
Anyone have any Vintage lister or Roseberry Stationary engine parts laying around or even complete engines?
Actually come to think of it, we would be interested in any Vintage Engines you have lying around no matter what condition.
We would be willing to pay the postage from anywhere in Australia.

The shiny tractor you see in the pics Is my grandfather 1950ish David Brown Super Cropmaster that we restored. We had it stripped down to nothing!

And that is about it for me!
Time for the comments fella's!
Samuel
bikebits92
Fun Kart

Postby Mclovin » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:58 pm

Very nice!

Get your exhaust fixed yet?

Where did you get your colum and how much? We need one now.
"To be old and wise first you need to be young and stupid"

50% complete Piranha Kawasaki ZZR 600
Mclovin
Taipan

Postby bikebits92 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:13 pm

Thanks Mclovin,
The exhaust has been finished for a month or more now but its only a temporary one until im ready to paint and then I will get a proper stainless system with mandrel bends etc! Bling!
I got the Column off of a cousin of mine that just happened to have one laying around for a carton of grog... Just ring around the wreckers to find one. There was a place at Droughty point road in Rokeby that did have one a couple of months ago but when I rang them the other morning the bloke reckoned he didn't have one. I think he just couldn't be bothered looking at 8 on a monday morning! Worth another try though.
Samuel
bikebits92
Fun Kart

Postby Mclovin » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:20 pm

Ah,

I reckon we will find one. Sisters Boyfriend says his mate has one but will never get round and take it out of the car so looks like i'm going to buy one. Wont be hard to get one. Will try the same place as we got the rack and pinion from.
"To be old and wise first you need to be young and stupid"

50% complete Piranha Kawasaki ZZR 600
Mclovin
Taipan

PreviousNext

Return to Tell Us About Your Ride !