Biggans "PIRCUDASPRINTX" Build

Re: Biggans "PIRCUDASPRINTX" Build

Postby c-e-l » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:17 am

Hi Biggins - Your buggy is an inspiration to those of us looking to upgrade and or rebuild..

Studying your photos I noticed that somewhere along the line the lower frame was changed from the original intention of using the Piranha lower frame.. could you elaborate why the change in lower frame from original intention?

2 early pics..

Then later photos

Cheers...
Chris...........
c-e-l
Raven

Postby biggans » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:52 am

As far as chassis design alterations go you would need to get Tony to clear that one up. I must say, not much on this buggy is off the standard cuda plans. With XRV front, Hypersprint rear roll hoops and bar work (32nb) and upswept nose (XRV) with a single A arm front end. It kind of went together with a few bits of everything. In saying that i could not be happier with the buggy. I have had a few guys from our club jump in and turn some laps saying what a pleaseure it was to drive. To answer your original question, I did ask Tony for lots of room at my feet as i was designing my own pedals. Maybe this had something to do with the altered base frame? Anyway i can send you plent more photos if you want just send me a PM.
The Change is here........
biggans
Sidewinder Plus

Postby c-e-l » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:08 pm

thanks mate... I was just curious as I have a sidey being transformed into a piranha and think I will follow Scremas lead on his excellent front end mods.. I like the up-swept look..

I really like the short stocky look and feel yours, Reg's and even Jets have.. Looks meaner IMO than a standard cuda.. Animal magnetism!!!! I hope to capture it in my modifications with what I have to work with..
Cheers...
Chris...........
c-e-l
Raven

Postby biggans » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:59 pm

Good luck mate.
biggans
Sidewinder Plus

Postby daniel » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:54 pm

looks bloody good are the springs you got on the foa shocks from the edge barracuda shocks and what do you think of the foa shocks thanks
daniel
Fun Kart

Postby biggans » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:59 am

The FOA shocks are crazy clarks versions of the FOX shocks. Would i buy them again... No way. Now the dollar is where it is, and i am now racing my buggy frequently, i should have saved a little bit extra and bought FOX. The springs i am using are from Edge straight off the shelf. :wink:
biggans
Sidewinder Plus

Postby daniel » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:47 pm

thanks
daniel
Fun Kart

Postby Greg » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:51 pm

So true :cry:
Greg

Postby biggans » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:13 pm

Wow how looking over this build thread brings back so many memories. However i DO NOT MISS THE BUILD STAGE..... :roll:

Yep i need my bloody head examined. I am back in the shed... I was having a ball with my buggy and getting some excellent results too, taking out 1st overall for my class and 1st outright in the last 3 meetings at the Proston Car Rally Club along with setting a new lap record at Piranha Park. So why am I changing.. :roll:, after seeing the way these cuda front ends perform in the mud i cant have Greg beating me... just kiddn Greg. It was a great drive mate. Looks like a few of us will be doing a lot more racing up here in Brisvegas, and only 45 mins from home... and every month... how good. We will need to make some modifications but i will post some pic's when the mods are done. It will be a very very new look for the Cudas (Greg and I) and one that will test driver and buggy no doubt. So, the boys, (Greg and Reid) have offered to help me cut my baby into bits. We were very impressed with how it measured up to the Cuda plans considering my build was so "off the Plans". The steering rack is good, just a few more tacks, slight check and double check and i can start welding it off. Top shock mounts need to be slightly moved up from there current position, but other than that we are almost there. You will notice that there is no support bar on the top A arm that runs behind the shock springs... we needed to make some mods to the rear chassis pivot point as my lower frame was different. so kade had the guys leave this bar off. We will put it in to position once everything has been checked 100%.

Here are some shots.
Still got to weld on the bolt head retainers on the front swing arm mounts... Yes i forgot them :roll: right guys :roll: :roll:

While the rear end was getting a major service i decided to upgrade to the new "thicker tube" rear swing arms. Here they all powdercoated and ready for assembly.
biggans
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Sean (Foggy) Leggett » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:16 pm

Very cool mate!!! That will put an end to any under steer!! :D I cant wait to see how she goes!!!
Cheers,
Foggy
ZX14 powered CudaX Image

Sold!!!!!
http://www.dreeme.com
http://www.seqmbc.com
Sean (Foggy) Leggett
Piranha

Postby seanyb » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:52 pm

and even if it didn't help with under steer!.......... you'll still have one of the maddest awesomest barracudas out! :wink:
are you still having the two brake calipers on the one hub?
seanyb
Trax II

Postby Reg » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:53 am

good job mate, listen, if ya hav'nt pruned it too much, can ya send me a cutting off ya money tree ?, would'nt mind putting one in my back yard :lol:
Reg
Trax II

Postby biggans » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:16 am

Sadly, seanyb, i cant fit the dual caliper breaks on the cuda upright so they will find a new hom on the sister chassis now being built in Bundy. Good luck with the build Ben :wink: ...I have never had a real issue with understeer at all. Leaving it as a single a arm would have been more than competitive. Maybe on a tight corner here and there. I just decided to make her a complete cuda. especially now we are moving ahead with more racing now..:lol: :lol: :lol: so i guess the want to win comes at a cost right Reg :lol: :lol: :lol: an offcut is in the post mate...
biggans
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Simon1 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:49 pm

Het Biggans, nice work on the rear swing arms :D . Back when it was mentioned in my thread, I though the 20NB pipe was getting changed from Sched 40 to 80. Looks like you have made the whole lot out of 25 NB pipe, or are my eyes playing tricks on me? Whatever the answer, I hope it will resove any cracking issues.

With regards to your front, upper a-arm, are you planning to leave the cross brace out all together, or are the arms still unfinished? I think it would be interesting to see how much load that extra brace carries. As I fix my rear end, I'm also thinking of making some mods in this area for easier castor adjustment, but I'm a bit worried about the 1/2'' rod ends ability to carry the shock loads without the extra stiffening supplied by the brace.

Anyway mate, looking good as usual.
Simon1
Taipan

Postby biggans » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:52 pm

Ok all the check check and triple check stuff has been done and the top A arms are ready for the powder coaters. I have managed to fit my custom solid brakes discs which have now had cooling holes drilled. I just need to fit the top A arms as soon as they come back from the powder coaters, bleed the front brake lines and then do the front and rear geometry. :roll: what a job thats going to be... :shock: Dad... please help.... Very happy with the way it has finished up. Ready for the race track now i think..... :wink:
biggans
Sidewinder Plus

Postby DeRat » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:20 pm

Hey Biggans,

wow mate looking fantastic, this will be a real bullet now, oh how I wish i was running at Proston, love to push Raptor aropund the track again up there.
“Face it, Love me or hate me, I'm going to give you a damn good show and drive the wheels off it.”
DeRat
Taipan

Postby biggans » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:02 am

Thanks rat i am so happy with how the tranformation has measured up... was getting a little worried though... people have been asking me to post some pictures but no one has commented... anyway no big deal... glad you like it. Look mate buggy or no Buggy, Proston is a boys weekend, and its going to be a bloody good one. Bring ya thermals, remember how cold it was last August :shock:
biggans
Sidewinder Plus

Postby spoiltone » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:50 pm

them shocks are they foa?

if so what specs did you get.
been looking into them my self.
99.9% completed barracuda with 02 zzr1200 are they truely ever finished?
spoiltone
Taipan

Postby biggans » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:54 pm

save ya money and buy something else. :roll:
biggans
Sidewinder Plus

Postby spoiltone » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:48 pm

o really, no good? what did yours set you back
99.9% completed barracuda with 02 zzr1200 are they truely ever finished?
spoiltone
Taipan

PreviousNext

Return to Tell Us About Your Ride !