Mongrel's Piranha updated

Re: Mongrel's Piranha updated

Postby Mclovin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:03 pm

That's the saddest thing to have happened! Especially the amount of work you've put into it!

We should start at "Mongrel" fund ;)

What actually started the fire in the first place?
"To be old and wise first you need to be young and stupid"

50% complete Piranha Kawasaki ZZR 600
Mclovin
Taipan

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:27 pm

Hell no!! It's self pity not poor broke buggy bastards pity lol

May have been a backfire lit some leaked fuel but still not 100% sure...
"Without dissapointment you can't appreciate victory" - Memphis Raines

Piranha Mark II - The Phoenix build underway!
Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby DeRat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:25 pm

Bloody Hell Monrel, that's Sh#t Luck mate.. thank goodness you had it insured thru Shannons...

I'd love to insure mine, would you have a Policy type, so i could call Shannons & get a quote? I've spent +$30K on My 'Cuda & Couldn't replace it IF anything like that happened, wow.... BTW, What does the insurance term Laid Up mean? & do you need a current in warranty fire extinguisher within a certain distance?
“Face it, Love me or hate me, I'm going to give you a damn good show and drive the wheels off it.”
DeRat
Taipan

Postby Rusty » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:53 pm

Mongrel - I would like to offer my help - I have piranha part as available - wiring knowledge that may assist - whatever it takes it can be rebuilt !!
I am a healthy PETRO - SEXUAL male !!! Sleeping in my buggy is OK - isn't it??
Rusty
Registered Member

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:00 am

Laid up cover means its covered as long as its not under its own power. I got it for theft in case it got stolen from an exhaust shop etc or even from my place, never thought I would need it for this though. Get on the site and read the PDS it has all the exclusions. It is classed as a dune buggy, they needed an engine number and a value.

If the trailer rolls, you are covered. If your place burns you are covered, if its stolen you are covered. For $15k coverage it cost me $287 per year and I pay by the month, it's a $200 excess and not difficult to get. I did it all by phone. My mate has his T Bucket (bucket only!) on the same cover, you can do almost anything i believe.

There is a clause about mechanical failure that appears to be open to interpretation so you need to ask depending what your needs are. They may not cover the part that failed but cover the resulting collateral damage. Waiting for the assessor to visit, they wanted me to get a mechanical quote but who the hell do I take it to?

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Hamish » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:48 pm

So sorry to hear what happened, the main thing is that everyone is ok. At least the insurance should come through. Thought that if you need a place to get the damage quote, might be worth calling up wakefield park and see if they have any ideas. They deal with custom race cars all the time, and might know someone in the area who can sort it out.

Good luck mate, My heart goes out to you.
It would have been extremely dangerous... except for the fact he was drinking at the same time.
Hamish
Trax II

Postby DeRat » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:03 am

Awesome feedback Mongrel, the best of luck Buddy. Hope it all works out...

BTW good call Hamish, Wakefield Park could prove a useful contact!
“Face it, Love me or hate me, I'm going to give you a damn good show and drive the wheels off it.”
DeRat
Taipan

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:56 pm

Howdy all,

Just an update - they gave up looking for someone as nobody wanted to quote on it, I sent a war and peace style email with pictures and they seem to think that's enough to assess. Will hear something Wednesday or Thursday this week I believe.

Might still need to call NRMA about the rest of the Garage, everything has started to rust! I swapped out the lights on Saturday and saw the rest of the mess. Need to sand the walls and roof then repaint as well...

All for the want of a proper fire extinguisher! They get a phone call tomorrow :twisted: can't wait to hear what BS they come up with!

Cheers for the support

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby aceface » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:23 pm

Have been following your posts mate, I'm building my sidewinder in my workshop and according to my insurers they wont cover me for my build unless i specify the cost. Crazy people
Keep the faith
aceface
Trax II

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:57 pm

Happy (but still kinda sad) to say that Shannon's have rung and agreed to a total loss on the Piranha. They offered to let me buy it back for $3.5k so I said come and get it - the only salvageable parts are the front tyres and shocks and the drive shafts.

So the next step is talking to Tony or Kade about the freight costs on a PIR1518 - I think that might be the step that causes me the least mental anguish then I can play with it to suit my big guts and 6'4" body :lol: then I get to start on the panels again, find a motor and get it all done! The Phoenix will rise!!

So let me say (even though I haven't seen the cash yet) that Shannon's laid up cover is the best thing I ever did for my buggy, they have been really good about everything and I would consider it if its available to you. A HUGE relief after something like this...

On the other hand - after I make my 3rd call to Firebox about the extinguisher with no response I will flip the coin to see if I call the ACCC or 1800 Tracey Grimshaw...

Again cheers for the support guys as always, some people in life are there to serve as a warning to others :twisted:

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Rattler » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:04 pm

Happy to hear that you've had an outcome mate
Turn Left TURN Left TURN LEFTTURNLEFT, okay go straight.
Rattler
Registered Member

Postby Tony » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:31 pm

Good to hear Shannons came good.
My Pantera is insured with Shannons & I always wondered what would happen in the event of a claim.
Fire me off an email: tony@edge.au.com
Let me have you address & I will get a freight quote on a kit to your area.
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:25 pm

Yeah I was happy too as the next one will be insured as well, crazy not to!

Hours of driving across the state attending trade shows his week have given me plenty of thinking time so I reckon I will start again from scratch instead. Then I can make the same changes to suit me as I did last time but do it properly first time out rather than cut and shut, make it to the Torc regs as well and maybe AA front.

When I started it 11 years ago it was to teach me to weld and use a lathe, design and adapt as well as learn about the processes. In "if I knew then what I know now" land this build should go a lot quicker. So I think the first purchase will be the laser cut pack with AA rear (and the plans) and I will get stuck in. It was a Father / Son project really but now I am the Father and my 12 yr old (and my 9 yr old) will be the son and I will teach them what I can depending on their attention span. Even my Missus wants to lend a hand this time!

When I get paid out I will start another build log and get welding, I am actually pretty excited!

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby itchyback » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:47 pm

This is a great story for insurance, i'm ringing tomorrow. Shannons should put you on the payroll!
I'm glad youre not put off/ turned bitter. Light that pyre!
Two Seat Barracuda 2.0
Completed.... except for upgrades, repairs, modifications....
itchyback
Trax II

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:22 pm

So today a chapter in my life ended and as soon as the curry call centre works out what they are doing with my payout the new one will start...

Very sad:

The Phoenix will start soon, need my bike lift and shopping for lathes then I will be right to go with a new build thread...

As always cheers for the support, hope you all got something out of it as well - fire protection and insurance!!

Adios!

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby aceface » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:23 pm

Chin up and go for it. Looking forward to following your new build.
Keep the faith
aceface
Trax II

Postby customwinder » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:53 pm

Nice work on ya machine there Mongrel. Bet that goes alright. 750 would make sure of that.
customwinder
Raven

Previous

Return to Tell Us About Your Ride !