Mongrel's Piranha updated

Re: Mongrel's Piranha updated

Postby mph-goldcoast » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:11 am

Flames coming out of the exhaust is usualy too much fuel....have you cleaned the jets out, and your floats are probably sticking!!! Im saying this because your carbies look like they have alot of corrosion and one of the float valves could be sticking, soaking the carbs in carbie clean is not a fix!!! they MUST be stripped and cleaned with a firm toothbrush. Let us know after you have done this!!!

I have a gpx750 sat on a pallet in my factory, when i go in later i will have a look at where that pipe goes.
mph-goldcoast
Raven

Postby chrishallett83 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:01 am

Is this thing mobile yet?

I think this buggy holds the record for longest build, yeah?

I mean, you've been at it since 2002, an 11 year build process!

Quality takes time, right Mongrel?
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" - Douglas Bader
chrishallett83
Vulture

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:38 am

Quality does take time...

At the moment it is a zero emission vehicle, it is technically mobile with wheels, shocks, the whole works...

What can I say - life gets in the way but it WILL happen!
"Without dissapointment you can't appreciate victory" - Memphis Raines

Piranha Mark II - The Phoenix build underway!
Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby chrishallett83 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:02 pm

Ha ha, a zero emissions vehicle...

Maybe the build wouldn't have taken so long if you had easy access to some quality tools?

:twisted:
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" - Douglas Bader
chrishallett83
Vulture

Postby Drew79 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:55 pm

chrishallett83 wrote:Ha ha, a zero emissions vehicle...

Maybe the build wouldn't have taken so long if you had easy access to some quality tools?

:twisted:

Its not always an issue of tools. I have access to all the tools n machinery i could ask for. However mortgage, my kids n family come first..... Cash flow is usually the issue. Not all of us sh#t 50 dollar notes
Drew79
Raven

Postby Mongrel » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:55 pm

It's ok Drew, Chris snuck in an 'in joke'

Made me laugh! :lol:

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby chrishallett83 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:06 pm

You work for kingchrom, right Mongrel?

I can never remember how to spell that right... :twisted:
chrishallett83
Vulture

Postby Mongrel » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:05 pm

Don't hurt yourself, that's 2 in a row!

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:09 pm

So today I rolled up my sleeves and got stuck into my build again, stripped the carbies to find 3 out of 4 jets blocked with old fuel. Cleaned it all out properly, put it all back together and that's when the trouble started...

It kicked and then promptly caught fire. I had my extinguisher at hand but although it was new and full of powder there was no propellant it seems. A fire blanket wasn't much help either so I called 000 and stood there watching it burn.

Motor, wiring, battery, fuel system, seat and steering wheel are gone. Can't get in there until a sparkie has a look at the wiring because the flames melted the overhead lights. Will drag it out tomorrow though, my shed is lined with old rubber conveyor belts so you can imagine the smoke it all made. My helmet sitting on the roof is melted, the panels have damage and I am obviously not impressed. I hope my Shannon's laid up / resto cover does cover this otherwise I have no idea what I will do...

Not sure if the heat on the frame means it needs to be changed out? I think the shocks may be ok but not sure, the rear bearclaws will need a look as well

Everyone is ok importantly, kids were inside with the Missus and got freaked out, I was smart enough to stay away after the extinguisher didn't work (might have heard me swearing from Perth!)

Will put up post mortem pics later

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby chrishallett83 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:07 pm

So close! So damn close after what is it now, a decade?

You poor bastard, Mongrel.

Thank goodness no-one got hurt!

The Shannons should come through, they're pretty good like that.

Hopefully you'll be caught back up soon, mate.
chrishallett83
Vulture

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:28 pm

So here is the bad part:

Seat totally gone and steering wheel not much better - ali panels all buckled and rubber trims all destroyed.

Helmet sitting on the roof is now a part of it - I think my gas soldering iron is underneath it in the case. Blue blobs where the roll bar padding was...

Surge tank is black and all lines are melted, lucky there was only about 2 litres in the tanks

Bye bye $400 Odyssey battery...

Nothing left of the harness but the end clips

Bearclaw isn't looking real flash either

Looks like the frame got terribly hot so not sure if there is much to save here apart from the front end. Will talk to Shannons this week and see what happens I guess, was lucky not to lose the whole garage, i am a BBQ nut so there were bags of Heat Beads and Charcoal all over the place. Need to clean all the soot off everything but no major damage elsewhere. It definitely got rid of the cat smell from the neighbours cats shitting in the back corner! For my mental state right now, please see the quote in my signature - soon to become my official family motto :cry:

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby chopper » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:15 pm

wow mate, my heart sunk when i seen the pics so i could imagine how you would be feeling, thats tough, you have my deapest sympathy mate
chopper
Taipan

Postby Rattler » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:24 pm

Its Al here mate, lost me old moniker off Rattlesnake and haven't been able to get on here for over 12 months, I finally do under a new name and I see this, my heart goes out to you mate. If Shannons don't come through, I have plenty of left over Piranha Parts that I would donate if you have a use for them including Tyres, see how you go.
Cheers Al
Turn Left TURN Left TURN LEFTTURNLEFT, okay go straight.
Rattler
Registered Member

Postby 14WRC » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:37 pm

That's some bad luck hopefully Shannons comes threw was there a agreed value
D Day Fabrications
14WRC
Trax II

Postby 19wilson67 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:50 pm

After reading this and weeping inside, next i changed my 2 small extinguisher cylinders for as big as possible ones. Absolutely gutted for you mate ! I hope to see it back up to how it was asap.
"If in doubt... Flat out" The late great Colin Mcrae
19wilson67
Raven

Postby MRT » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:09 am

SH#%/t Mongrel, what a mess. I can only imagine how you feel.
I would say there are a lot of people out there feeling for you.
Good luck.
MRT
Trax II

Postby chrishallett83 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:57 am

Yeah that Bearclaw's stuffed. Hit the burned parts of the frame with a wire brush and see if it's blued up, if the steel hasn't changed colour you should be good.

Try to look on the bright side mate, just like your motto. Things could have been a LOT worse, you could have lost the whole workshop, or even worse than that a family member could have gotten hurt.

Material goods are replaceable, unfortunately your time is not, but losing the work you put in doesn't invalidate the work you did do!

You've got a chance to make right anything you were only 99% happy with now, and the second time around you can do stuff a lot quicker and easier.

Good luck Mongrel!
chrishallett83
Vulture

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:20 am

Thanks guys - my reasons for posting this were part self pity but part warning as it could happen to any one of us. I bought a bigger, better extinguisher for the shed but one for the house as well. I will never have rubber matting under it ever again!

Looks like Shannon's are being difficult with their definitions but apparently my NRMA contents covers it. Haven't called the extinguisher company yet - it was an Apex by Firebox just so you all know, my new ones are Family First as they have a clearly stated 10 yr warranty.

Wife has been more supportive than I thought - half expected a 'thank god that's finally gone' but has suggested the new one be called The Phoenix - have to say I like that! Maybe a nice orange fade into red paint job with some understated flames lol - as long as they aren't real ones!!

I have to say I am still heartbroken but keen to keep going - again, thanks for the support!

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby 19wilson67 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:30 pm

Mongrel wrote:Wife has been more supportive than I thought - half expected a 'thank god that's finally gone' but has suggested the new one be called The Phoenix - have to say I like that! Maybe a nice orange fade into red paint job with some understated flames lol - as long as they aren't real ones!!

That's good of her,I like the phoenix name, it will be bit of a legacy right enough. and glad to hear about the fire extinguishers i a have opted with another one for the house as well so 3 in all. Im glad you did post the pics though, it really creates impact and shows how it could, and accidents do happen. So if one person takes that extra minute on fire prevention or upgrades fire saftey (like me) then you possibly could say your incident has not gone in vane.

Anyway good luck with the phoenix and all to come, id bet my left nut that every single member on here would show you all the support they can mate.
"If in doubt... Flat out" The late great Colin Mcrae
19wilson67
Raven

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:41 pm

Update: Shannon's made a mistake yesterday with the girls understanding of 'laid up' cover. It's insured for $15k which seemed good at the time but may be a struggle. Better than nothing I guess, claim lodged, excess paid just waiting for an assessor to give me a call now.

Maybe this time I might skip a few steps, cheat and order a kit set. Still not sure how I feel about that as have always been proud of what I have (slowly) achieved so far, still prefer the built not bought but not sure i could go through it all again. Still early days though...

I hope everyone learns from my mistakes / experience and it does help someone. I thought I was doing the right thing but will be doubly sure from now on!

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

PreviousNext

Return to Tell Us About Your Ride !