The journey begins...Glenn and Nicks Barracuda build log

Re: The journey begins...Glenn and Nicks Barracuda build log

Postby Buggypilot » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:58 am

Fairly inactive for a couple of months as just starting training on a new aircraft in a few days but motor shipping from states next Tuesday......nervous.....hope it's as good as it is supposed to be. 2012... 2750km old. Not a private seller. Business. Ebay deal. Used paypal. Not really cheap but by the time it gets here and I have paid the govt :evil: it will be ready to run for about 6600 kiwi. The going rate for a gen 2 about 6 k with all the running gear I paid a wee premium to get a late model low k engine. When I have it I will post my impressions as the business I bought from may be a reputable supplier. The gen 2 engines seem few and far between and go readily on trademe. This one hasn't been in a prang. Was removed from a bike being fitted with a big block and being prepared for racing so no damage. Got an upgraded stator and rectifier coming.
Attachments
image.jpg
Gen 2 2012 with 2750 km
image.jpg (58.38 KiB) Viewed 4300 times
Buggypilot
Raven

Postby itchyback » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:14 am

id say 6600 kiwi is a bargain. good catch. keen to hear how it is.
Two Seat Barracuda 2.0
Completed.... except for upgrades, repairs, modifications....
itchyback
Trax II

Postby Simon1 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:42 pm

I recently asked an aus wrecker about them and they reckon they are rare as rocking horse sh#t. When they do have them you are looking at about $5k aud so $6.6k nzd probably isn't too bad.
Simon1
Taipan

Postby Buggypilot » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:21 pm

AUD to NZ at the moment is close to dollar for dollar. 5 k AUD seems pretty darn good if you can get one. Rare as rocking horse sh#t! I hear ya.
I was looking for a low k engine for a low time gearbox. I was on to a deal here in NZ through Suzuki for a new in the box 2009 engine. I offered 7 k as it had sat around for the last 5 years in a crate. No T bodies, air box, ECU or loom. They were stuck on cost of $8700 inc of GST. Finding the other gear to make it run would take it to the 10k Mark. Just too much to justify to the procurement committee here at home. Another chap here is picking it up I believe. Then I saw the ebay deal for the low k engine and took the punt. Saved 3 k over that other deal so there's my dry sump. I am pretty happy with a 6.6k investment if it's a goodie.

Anyone using flat shifters?

In between studying I will keep laying down beads from the tig. Quite frankly I still suck at it. :roll: more practice required.

Hope to make it to Perth a few times while training so I can make it out to edge.
Beadlocks close Tony?
Got some more laser cutting to get. Discs and sprocket as well.
Cheers
Buggypilot
Raven

Postby Tony » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:19 am

Beadlocks are on the boat.
About three weeks.

Love your engine Glen.
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Postby Buggypilot » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:17 pm

Cheers Tony.

I will let you know when I can make it back over there. Hopefully within the next month or so.
I would really like to get the front laser cutting parts for the arms etc. we have to work out if that 95.2 CLR will change things much.
Need the discs all around and the sprocket. Is it better to get the tube type steering rods for the XRV steering rack?
If I need a bigger radiator you can sort me out on that as well?
I was going to make a fuel tank but in all honesty the time taken is probably not necessary when you have it all sorted. I wonder if we can get a few more litres....20 is a minimum. Standard bike is close to 7 litres per hundred.....I imagine tapped out in a 600 kg buggy it's going to be more like 15 to 20. So at 50 k laps on a meet like the Taupo 1000 that's one fill per lap....yikes....What options do we have there tony or maybe you can make me a custom? A comfortable two laps would be better but probably unrealistic.....I imagine 25 litres would give safety margin. Now I am only guessing how much this thing will use when being tapped. I know a seadoo will do about 16 to 18 at WOT at 200 horsepower. :shock: :lol:
Buggypilot
Raven

Postby Tony » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:11 pm

Glen, I have the laser cutting for the nose of the CAMS buggy in stock.
Have discs & sprocket on the shelf as well.
We fabricate the tie rods from 16mm steel bar with welded on ends.
Yes we can make a lager radiator.
The CAMS buggy we have in the workshop has a 50 litre tank in the tail.
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Postby Buggypilot » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:43 pm

Too easy Tony!
Hope to see you sometime in the near future. :P
Cheers G
Buggypilot
Raven

Postby mark_NZ » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:26 pm

Looking good Glenn!

I've been keeping my eye out for a gen 2 but nothing around...ill stick with my Gen 1 for now - I just found my ECU hacker tuning harness which i lost while moving so might get a dyno tune to keep me happy :)

In terms of fuel tank I think Hamish said he had a total of 65 litres with a second tank behind is seat. When i was watching the Taupo 1000 last year im pretty sure I only saw him pit for fuel once a day (500km a day)

keep us posted in your progress!
05 Busa Cuda
mark_NZ
Trax II

Postby Buggypilot » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:36 am

Thanks Mark. I will be looking for the larger tank. At 20 litres per 100 ks it would be a minimum of 100 litres plus so with one pit stop I would imagine hamish's 65 plus would get it done but I have no idea of the actual consumption figures.
Tony how would the balance go with 40 to 50 kgs of fuel right in the tail?

Engine should ship out today. EQC repairs on rental start soon and they don't want to fix the outside of the house as it's non compliant rok cote from before the govt :twisted: changed the rules. I start my course on Monday. So it's situation normal. All the stuff happens at once meaning buggy time is going to be severely hampered. About two to three months from now I will be trying to get a month off. Bed at 10 pm. Up at 6 am. Excercise. Coffee. 7 am in the shed....7 pm tea. Repeat for the month. I intend to overdose on fabrication at that time and get some serious building done.

I will be visiting SBD in the uk hopefully within 6 weeks. They are only 13 ks from our hotel up there. I will be picking Craig's brains over their dry sump set ups etc.

That's all for a while I guess. Going into stealth mode for a bit.
Cheers G
Buggypilot
Raven

Postby mark_NZ » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:06 pm

I guess its always a trade off of the potential weight of the extra fuel which can potentially slow you down v the time taken for a potential pit stop. I think from memory Hamish led the 1st day by 8 mins.

As a side note if your chch home was built in compliance with the building code at the time i dont see why eqr shouldnt repair it (for those non New Zealanders you'll have no idea what we are talking about :) )
05 Busa Cuda
mark_NZ
Trax II

Postby Tony » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:14 pm

Glen.
50 litres in the tail is no problem in regards to balance.
Getting more than 50 litres into that area could be an issue due to space constraints.
The CAMS buggy we currently have at Edge has two 50 litre tanks.
One in the tail & the other behind the seat & extending into the engine area.
Owner has an idea of doing the Finke race at some stage.

The three position power switch on the Gen II could be very useful for fuel conservation.
Tony
Administrator

Postby Buggypilot » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:31 pm

Cheers Tony.
Nothing else done. Filling the head with other stuff right now. Sucks for building the buggy. Sounds like a months leave will be possible after a couple of months. That will be good for building!
Engine close to Los Angeles now. Hope to have it by mid to late April I guess.
Back to study.... :cry:
Buggypilot
Raven

Postby Buggypilot » Sat May 10, 2014 7:18 am

Six sectors to go and the training should hopefully be all finished. Now we have sold our house and have to move. More time away from the buggy build. Better for it in the end though....there is one major criteria when looking for a new house.....garage space. Her indoors is looking at wardrobes, kitchens, heating etc etc. I need to house two cars, the kart trailer, my machinery and of course the buggy with a descent build area. Mower, bikes etc need to be elsewhere.
So this build thread is quiet but it's just in waiting.
Meantime a big box arrived....it has a very new and clean looking 1340cc gen 2 in it. I would say after pulling the plugs, looking down the inlets and exhausts and the overall newness of the aluminium it's a genuine 3 k engine. I can see it hasn't been waterblasted. The telltale signs are not there. No buildup of gunk in crevices anywhere.....just a light bit of road dust here and there. I am going to crc the motor, wrap the box in plastic wrap and put some desiccant tubs in with it to take moisture away.
Buggypilot
Raven

Postby mark_NZ » Mon May 12, 2014 7:35 pm

Moving to Auckland Glenn? ;) A house with those specs in Auckland will probably mean you'll need to win lotto ;)
05 Busa Cuda
mark_NZ
Trax II

Postby Buggypilot » Tue May 13, 2014 5:53 pm

Yeah....nah....Mark. The Asians have screwed akl for me. My lad goes to Palmerston boys high and will be for five years. We will either find a house with a huge garage or build in PN. Akl is simply out of control. Great if you have a house there already or don't mind selling your first born for body parts to get in to akl but you only make on the deal when you get out of the place. I would rather spend on my buggy than to the banks for a squillion dollar mortgage to enter the akl market. I will travel there to go to work but that's it. Even though I have a good salary....I have missed the boat buying up there.
Sitting in San Francisco....5 sectors to go :P
Buggypilot
Raven

Postby oddy59 » Thu May 15, 2014 9:17 pm

Tony wrote:Yes we can make a lager radiator.

COOL Tony!...NOW we're talkin'!...I'll drink to that!Image
Trying to wear out BEFORE I rust out!..........Now just trying to getouta Bed! Image
oddy59
Piranha

Postby Drew79 » Thu May 15, 2014 10:56 pm

oddy59 wrote:
Tony wrote:Yes we can make a lager radiator.

COOL Tony!...NOW we're talkin'!...I'll drink to that!Image

Trust you to notice a typo like that Baz hahaha. ....I'm with ya tho....CHEERS
Drew79
Raven

Postby Buggypilot » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:21 am

All checked to line and off to Perth three times over the next month. Getting my beadlocks from Tony. Unfortunately we are now starting to build in Palmerston North to move my lad closer to school. Storing a lot of my buggy parts but will make some suspension parts over the next 6 months. The new shed will be 132 to 144sm big. Cool....space!

God I want to get into building but it will be so much easier with the room and the planned fabrication table will be awesome. Office and games room in one corner of the shed. Perhaps a small bed for when she hates me. :roll:

So still here and keen. Time will sort it I guess.
Buggypilot
Raven

Postby mark_NZ » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:02 pm

sounds like a good sized shed to me :)

think we all need a bed in our sheds too!
05 Busa Cuda
mark_NZ
Trax II

PreviousNext

Return to Tell Us About Your Ride !