The Phoenix - Piranha take 2

Re: The Phoenix - Piranha take 2

Postby Mongrel » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:57 am

Progress is slow but continuous - fiddly bits take time!

Was in Perth this week for a work conference and found myself in Malaga this morning, couldn't help but call into The Edge and say g'day! Thanks Tony for letting me interrupt you and for the tour and the chat - it was really nice to meet you after all these years, I am looking forward now to ripping into my front arms after seeing your ideas...

Should have my rear end partly mocked up this week, need to finish the Acetal bushes then I am good to go!

More pics as it progresses
"Without dissapointment you can't appreciate victory" - Memphis Raines

Piranha Mark II - The Phoenix build underway!
Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby aceface » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:31 am

Been a while mate, glad your getting on with it, I'm still tweeking my sidie. As you say its the fiddly bits that take the time and i find that there is always something i end up changing because I'm not happy with it. Hoping to get her out in the next few weeks. Keep us posted.
Keep the faith
aceface
Trax II

Postby keepthedirtflying » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:05 pm

What you up now mate?

Any more pics?

8)
keepthedirtflying
Trax II

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:58 am

Still going, have the rear end all mounted and will finish the top shock mount this weekend ready for wooden shocks :-)

Working full time with a 3hr daily commute and studying part time means not much time in the shed apart from study breaks. It's also going to snow here today so another reason why my cold draughty shed hasn't seen me too often.

Will post some pics soon, as we all know you spend hours on one little part so while you have achieved something it's not much to crow about.

Still chasing a proper bender for the front arms, I want to be able to make more if/when I need to rather than relying on others. Otherwise I will try an idea I was shown from someone in the know but that is going to take time to build jigs etc.

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:24 pm

As promised - update...

Have made unique rear uprights with a bend which apart from giving me flowing lines to match the rear hoop also protects my radiator. I think it will be strong enough to support the suspension, will brace if necessary.

Made the rear shock top mounts as well and mounted them, I think they may need to be moved up but there is space there if necessary.

Yes, my shed IS as messy as it looks, had a bit of a tidy up but need to pull everything out this summer and start again :-)

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:03 pm

Steering rack mount made and mounted, just need to make top column braces

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby keepthedirtflying » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:05 am

Nice!!

Your build is coming along very nice!!

You may want to add some unis on the steering shaft to ease up the tension when driving off road.

Otherwise power steering like i have done.
keepthedirtflying
Trax II

Postby Mongrel » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:40 am

Bottom harness mounts made and fitted, I decided double shear this time for safety. Need to fit a cross brace in the rear hoop for wrap mounting the shoulder straps which should clear up any issues I had last time with space in the engine bay.
Will fit the submarine strap at a later date, it's not critical for now.

Bought a steering wheel and quick release hub so once I have worked out a driving position I will mount that too

Pics this weekend after I have finished my assignment - all play and no works makes Mongrel fail the course lol

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby MRT » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:56 am

Hey Mongrel, Doing bloody well mate. Haven't been on here for a while. All work and no Play.... You definitely haven't failed. If your course is as good as your build you've got nothing to worry about.
Good luck with both.
MRT
Trax II

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:02 pm

Harness mounted, decided to bar mount this time and so far so good. Have a 5th point to locate properly but can do that later on

You can see the side mount on the bottom right. Need to tidy up the tag ends still.

Will do some side intrusion bars shortly while I stall and decide how I will tackle the front end. 6 more weeks of my course then a break until March should mean some quality time in the shed soon...

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby keepthedirtflying » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:41 pm

Hey Mate.

You might be interested.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/muswellb ... 1055279304

Cheers
keepthedirtflying
Trax II

Postby Mongrel » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:34 am

Thanks!

Cash is tied up with new house deposit unfortunately, looking to move closer to Sydney to cut down on my 140km each way daily commute...

Will keep an eye on it, might see if he is interested in a swap deal

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby keepthedirtflying » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:26 pm

I am looking for a new engine, if ya sell me your engine...... you will have more cash for a house!! :twisted:
keepthedirtflying
Trax II

Postby Mongrel » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:23 am

Ha ha nice try...

Until I can bend the front arms myself things have stalled a little. The new job must have been going ok because I got promoted, went from 8 staff to 20 and now look after a massive portfolio of brands, one of which is the old enemy...

Just goes to show why you never slag off the opposition as you never know where you will end up! The packet that comes with it should assist with the new house which MUST have a decent workshop or I am not going. A dedicated work area is a must, I also do a lot of woodworking and the amount of gear I have on wheels just to move into the driveway on our 400sqm block is ridiculous. Looking at an acre for this time next year, some room to move is important.

Things will be quiet for a while unfortunately, really didn't want this build to take as long as the last one but maybe I just like building...

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:37 pm

In the process of packing up my workshop ready to move in January but I found a bender on eBay that might just work for my front arms and it arrived today

First test appears ok, will go smoother with some heat but timing isn't great right now with getting the old house ready to rent and moving all my crap 100k's away.

Bender came from CCB products, Aussie made and $495 delivered with dies, up to 25mm but not hard to make bigger ones if needed.

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Corza19 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:45 pm

Looks good Mongrel! :P
"Drop a gear and disappear"
Corza19
Trax II

Postby itchyback » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:35 pm

interesting looking bender there Mongrel, How would you rate it?
Based on its price i'm hoping its better than the pipe bender things but probably wont be as good as a JD2 or such.
Two Seat Barracuda 2.0
Completed.... except for upgrades, repairs, modifications....
itchyback
Trax II

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:48 am

Itchy I wish I had found it a year ago, my front arms would have been done and I could have wheeled my frame onto the trailer rather than carried the heavy bastard! I do a regular ebay search on tube benders hoping to come across a second hand JD2 and that's how I found it.

The 25mm tube had an indentation on the inside bend, looks strong though with no kinks remembering the bender is rated at 2mm and mine was 2.5mm. The 19mm tube bent no dramas with no distortion so I am ecstatic! The fact that I could also do square and flat bar is a massive bonus. Bent some 25mm RHS to 90 degrees and started to think of all the cool sh#t I could make, no more welded mitres!

From my testing I would highly recommend it for sizes up to 25mm, much beyond that you will need a JD2 or similar but for the stuff I am doing I am amazed... My pipe bender just kinked the smaller stuff and did the bigger tube well enough with heat so I now have the full solution.

For anyone making the AA front it would be a must have I reckon. I didn't pay someone to make my bends purely because I want to do it myself but also want to make some extras later when I break them :-)

Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Corza19 » Wed May 25, 2016 12:09 am

Any updates Mongrel??
"Drop a gear and disappear"
Corza19
Trax II

Postby tech54K » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:45 pm

Mongrel wrote:A question:

Are the top rollbars critical in their spacing? I would like them more outboard for aesthetic looks but it then drops below the radius on the bend. Is where I have them now an ideal spot, too narrow or too wide?

They are just sitting there for now. I guess the other option is to run another set of bars inline with the sun visor bar and roll a roof panel to suit?

I did run them pretty wide last time but just checking first - was never 100% happy with them

Cheers

Oh wow. Great setup!
tech54K
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Tell Us About Your Ride !