UK sidewinder build

UK sidewinder build

Postby aceface » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:49 am

Hi everyone, as you can see I am a new member to this forum. I have got the buggy bug and will soon be building my sidewinder so will keep you posted on my progress. I have been scrolling through your builds and there seems to be alot of talent on here. I have my own fabrication company so I can weld and fab most things but am a bit green when it comes to the mechanical side, so any help would be welcome. Just a couple of quick questions, does the rear rollbar weld to the upper frame and if so is this strong enough in the event of a roll I see some people put a 40mm box from bottom to underside of the top frame then continue with the cage in tube. Also I can see in some pics what looks like a clutch lever on the shifter, is this the normal thing to do. Regards
Keep the faith
aceface
Trax II

Re: UK sidewinder build

Postby Bean » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi,
Good to hear another sidewinder builder! In relation to the clutch lever, i put mine on the shifter as to save space for the other pedals. Having size 13 feet isnt helping me either haha.
Good luck with your build bro :D
Bean
Registered Member

Postby aceface » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:03 am

Ye good idea saves on building another pedal I guess. What about the rear rollbar going straight to the bottom frame, I was going to weld a brace in between the top and bottom out of box section but is welding the rollbar to the top frame enough strength
Regards
Keep the faith
aceface
Trax II

Postby Bean » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:50 pm

Being in the process of building mine i see your point. I just went with the sidewinder plans. I think when you join the rollbars at the top with a piece of tube you get a fairly solid cage. Another option im considering that was suggested by an engineer was welding another piece of tube from midway up the front rollbar down to the upper box frame, creating a triangle. Much like what you would see on a barracuda build like keepthedirtflying's. Hope this helps a little.
Cheers
Bean
Registered Member

Postby aceface » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:36 am

Good idea, just thought that there would only be the two welds on the tube to top rear frame keeping the back of the buggy up but I guess there is the rear swing arm brace etc. Thanx for the imput
Keep the faith
aceface
Trax II

Postby 19wilson67 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:54 pm

good to see another uk builder bringing edge's legacy across the pond. i look forward too seeing your work buddy. A bit random question but is there any chance you are a member of another site (mig-welding.co.uk) its huge so im thinking its a possibility lol.
"If in doubt... Flat out" The late great Colin Mcrae
19wilson67
Raven

Postby aceface » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:01 am

Hi mate, no Im not a member of that site, didnt know there was one, Seems to be sites for all sorts these days lol
Keep the faith
aceface
Trax II

Postby 19wilson67 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:10 pm

Yeh there's certainly a forum for probably any subject you could think of these days lol. Just a thought as its so big and you saying about having a fab company :P
19wilson67
Raven

Re: UK sidewinder build first picture

Postby aceface » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:19 am

Making progressImage
Keep the faith
aceface
Trax II

Re: UK sidewinder build and another pic

Postby aceface » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:24 am

Thats all for a minuteImage
Keep the faith
aceface
Trax II

Postby 19wilson67 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:30 am

Nice work
19wilson67
Raven

Postby aceface » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:35 am

Thanx, l took delivery of the rear shock today so am gonna try and get the back sorted this week.
Keep the faith
aceface
Trax II

Postby 19wilson67 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:15 am

aceface wrote:Thanx, l took delivery of the rear shock today so am gonna try and get the back sorted this week.

Nice one cant wait to see how she looks complete :mrgreen: I have to save my pennies and the rear end is gonna be a slow slow process one part made up or bought at a time lol but it will be nice to see watch a quicker build from start to finish in real time :P
19wilson67
Raven

Postby aceface » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:01 pm

Ye I dont know if its gonna be that quick, I am having trouble sourcing a suitable bike as a donor. Dont want to rush into anything just have to get as much done as I can. I got the hubs and stubs on order so I will be able to complete the front. I am having to get the rear axle machined as Ive gone for 30mm bearings which I got on e bay but that will have to wait. Will post some more pics soon
Keep the faith
aceface
Trax II

Postby 19wilson67 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:00 am

I see, wrecked/doner bikes for sale are so much rarer over here, im not sure if it was donor my buggy came with(2nd hand mess lol) but it has alot of bits and pieces with it to suggest so. Look forward to seeing the pics man.
19wilson67
Raven

Postby aceface » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:23 am

Hey Wilson, ye I'm on it 2moro so hopefully have something to photograph. Are you anywhere near kilkardine bridge, i spent 10 months there drilling for the coal board
Keep the faith
aceface
Trax II

Postby 19wilson67 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:05 pm

i presume kinkardine is what you mean lol, if so yeh bud im 7/8 mile away, my dad works for the power station dealing with the ash from the coal you driled up lol small world lol, Where did you stay when you were up here?
19wilson67
Raven

Postby aceface » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:25 am

I knew i would get the spelling wrong as soon as i posted it Wilson. Ye we were there in 1998 but remember it well. We hired a bungalow opposite the golf course. Cant remember road names but remember going to the race track for a spin in the xr3s with the instructor. Looked after us like VIPs. Got the swingarm mounted and shock, rack and column came so hopefully by next week have the front started.
Keep the faith
aceface
Trax II

Postby aceface » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:46 am

ImageUpdate
Keep the faith
aceface
Trax II

Postby 19wilson67 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:05 am

Aye im sure i know which cottage you prob mean but certainly know the golf course, Ah go old knockhill racing circuit. Fastest rallycross track in the uk :mrgreen: i know that very well. Great people up there. been up more times than i can count lol.

Kind of rack did you end up with? and what kind of shocky is that? mr nosey eh Oh and idea what lump u will be powering her with yet??
19wilson67
Raven

Next

Return to Tell Us About Your Ride !