Steve's 2 Seat Piranha

Postby ResidentPsycho » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:29 pm

how come there is not top on it?

hope it arrives safely steve, along with u and the family :P
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it Image
ResidentPsycho
Taipan

Postby pngpiranha » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:15 pm

There is a plywood top on the crate. I just put another plastic cover over the top of the whole thing. We had lots of rain today in Melbourne and PNG gets torrential rain so it's just an extra precaution. I can see why you thought that - there is no photo of the lid. :?
VFR750 - Two seat Piranha with Lockright automatic locking differential. Finally finished and being shipped to Papua New Guinea.

"Think three times and cut once."
pngpiranha
Trax II

Postby David Reid » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:34 pm

Gee Steve, what a build! Mate you should be very proud , looks good!! I managed to get mine started the other day and a mate took it for a quick test run down the road, that was a buzz. Anyway have a good Christmas and all the best for the future.

Regards Dave.
VTR1000 fire storm Cuda waiting to be given Life....
David Reid
Taipan

FANTASTIC

Postby LEO » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:22 am

CONGRATS mate is fantastic all :oops:

CHERRS FROM MEXICO
LEO
Registered Member

Postby Zak.M » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:47 pm

I remember when you started this thread!
Looks very nice!
Inspired me to want to build a 2 seater.
Light Weight Tiranha.
Still in progress.
Don't be surprised if something goes wrong...be very surprised if everything goes right.
Zak.M
Taipan

Postby The Architect » Sat May 03, 2008 1:27 am

definatly one of the best made
no one cares mate
The Architect
Piranha

Postby Camel » Sat May 03, 2008 10:37 am

I'm wondering how he's faring in the land of lawless raskols

or should that be the lawless land of raskols?
---
Gen II Hayabusa - ECU HACKED - 300kmh+ No 2nd and 3rd gear restrictions, Modified maps, Wideband datalogger
http://www.wasuperlites.com
Camel
Piranha

Postby pngpiranha » Sat May 03, 2008 2:03 pm

Hi Guy's,
It's been ages but I'm glad to say that we've arrived in the Eastern Highlands of PNG and my buggy arrived unharmed too :D

We've just spent the last three months down in Madang and surrounding area doing an orientation course including 5 weeks of living in a village in a house made from bush materials with no running water, electricity or flush toilet. It was a good experience if a little hard at times.

We arrived at our final destination on Tuesday last week and I've been busy getting unpacked and sorting out the computer. I un-crated the buggy on Thursday and took it for a spin around our centre. It's been for it's safety inspection for road registration so now I have to wait to take the paperwork to town to be issued with the plate.

Here are some pics. The second one is the view from our verandah up the valley. There are endless places to explore and I'm itching but there is still so much to do to get the house sorted out first before I start work.

Camel, this is a beautiful place and we're faring just fine. There has certainly been alot if interest in the buggy since it came out of the crate. I think by now that everyone in the surrounding 10+ km's knows of it's arrival and who it belongs to.

I'll post some more pics soon.

Steve
VFR750 - Two seat Piranha with Lockright automatic locking differential. Finally finished and being shipped to Papua New Guinea.

pngpiranha
Trax II

Postby Gsx550taipan » Sat May 03, 2008 11:35 pm

nice view there steve, those hills look like a great place to throw the buggy around.
Gsx550taipan
Sidewinder Plus

Postby The Architect » Sun May 04, 2008 8:38 pm

Steve, next time we see that photo, we want to see some massive carnage to it on your behalf :D :lol:

Sam
no one cares mate
The Architect
Piranha

Postby oddy59 » Sun May 04, 2008 9:19 pm

WOW! While looking at those beautiful country side pics, I had a vision of Julie Andrews FANGIN' your Piranha,roostin' dirt violently,while singing..."The hills are alive with the sound of Vrooom! Vroom!" :shock: :lol:
Trying to wear out BEFORE I rust out!..........Now just trying to getouta Bed! Image
oddy59
Piranha

Postby Camel » Sun May 04, 2008 10:29 pm

Baz,

Julie Andrews in PNG? I think not, white wimmen are a delicacy over there. Maybe a local version of Julie Andrews, suckling a couple of piglets and wearing a neat V8 tattoed onto her forehead, (yep, I've seen it many times over there).

Camel
---
Gen II Hayabusa - ECU HACKED - 300kmh+ No 2nd and 3rd gear restrictions, Modified maps, Wideband datalogger
Camel
Piranha

Postby Mongrel » Sun May 04, 2008 10:32 pm

I was going to say something funny about Baz's Julie Andrews fantasies but after reading Camel's post I am a little lost for words.

Piglets...
"Without dissapointment you can't appreciate victory" - Memphis Raines

Piranha Mark II - The Phoenix build underway!
Mongrel
Sidewinder Plus

Postby pngpiranha » Thu May 29, 2008 10:02 pm

Last Friday I got my new number plates. Now I'm street legal! I've been driving to work all week - what a blast. :D

Some of you may remember I had some problems with my carbys. Here's a little update. I pulled them all apart to give them a good clean a few weeks ago and I think I found the basis of all my problems. Two out to of the four carbys were missing their pilot screws. They are in an awkward place to see on the inside in the middle of the V. Anyway, I've ordered two more and they should be here in a week. They had to come from the Netherlands because the Honda dealer in Aus told me they can't get them anymore. So hopefully that will go a long way to sorting out my problems. I also noticed that the main jets were already enlarged a few sizes and it seems to go very well up high in the rev range. I also noticed the needles have an extra small washer under them which should richen the mid range. The manual shows only one washer and says the needles are non adjustable - they do not have variable clip positions like some carbys I've seen. Now I'm operating my buggy at 5000ft elevation I'm guessing this could cause me to be running too rich at mid throttle. I guess we'll see when the pilot screws arrive and I get them installed. It's really hard to tell exactly what is going on until this is sorted out.

Steve

pngpiranha
Trax II

Postby monty » Fri May 30, 2008 9:38 pm

well done
at 12,500rpm
no one can hear you scream

piranha zx10 ninja
monty
Taipan

Postby ResidentPsycho » Fri May 30, 2008 9:43 pm

awesome steve! wish it was that easy to get buggies registered back here in aus :?
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it Image
ResidentPsycho
Taipan

Postby trojan » Fri May 30, 2008 10:09 pm

Hi Steve, great to hear from you, congratz!

The Dyno Jet kit should have graduated needles, they also do a hi-alt version for most of their jet kits.
Don't ya hate it when you put your heart into something only to have political c**ts who've contributed little by comparison, knife you in the back?
trojan
Piranha

Postby Camel » Fri May 30, 2008 10:38 pm

Fantastic! A registered 2 seater Piranha! Send photos of you mixing it with downtown traffic!
---
Camel
Piranha

Postby S.W » Fri May 30, 2008 11:53 pm

Awesome Steve. Good to see you achieve your aim for the project.

I'd also like to see some photos of your Piranha in action. Both on the roads and ripping up the paddocks and forest tracks.
S.W
Trax II

Postby hoover » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:34 pm

Steve says Hi All Friends within the Forum from PNG, and he and family are settling in well.

As promised I have Posted these photos here for all interested Parties along with an Email extract he sent me as it is just to costly for Steve to access the WEB, and I hope you all get as much enjoyment from this as I did.

Regards,

Hoover

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Hoover,

I'm still trying to work on potential reliability issues like my new rear stub axles.
I've managed to make a replacement for the right side and installed it last weekend.

It is now 10 times better and I'm very happy with the way the splines turned out. See attached pic. I appreciate all the effort you have made on my behalf. I'll let you know when I'm ready to do work on the reverse system if that is OK. I'm guessing it could be a while off yet.

Last week I also machined up a new 13 tooth idler sprocket in the hope to reduce some of my chain noise. However I stayed at work late on Wed night to install it and found that I physically could not fit it in without narrowing down the bearing support flanges a little more so it didn't get installed yet.

I'll continue the machining work on it this week in my lunch hours and hopefully get it in next weekend. I'm planning to use the original mounting hole and being a larger diameter it should give me more "wrap" around the sprocket and have the sprocket spinning 30% slower too.

I took a 60km drive on Friday last week with my son and all seemed to go great. I guess the average speed was around 50-60kph and my CV's stayed very cool which I was pleased about. My Lockright diff works great on the tar road. The only thing you need to watch is cornering up hill as the diff wants to lock and when it does, the buggy under steers like crazy. When you back off the throttle, it hooks into the corner again. I guess you'd have that all the time with a solid axle. I think it will be my front tyres that wear out first.

I've attached some photos form the trip. Hope you enjoy
them. The buggy certainly gets lots of interest when I take it out.

People here in PNG have never seen anything like it before. When I stop for fuel,
I'm almost mobbed but everyone has been very friendly so far especially when I tell them that I started building it here in PNG in 2005.

If you'd be happy to, I wouldn't mind if you posted some of the best pics in my build thread on the forum. It would save me some money and I think there are quite a few people out there that would be interested in seeing them.

Regards,

Steve

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee76 ... 20Piranha/
hoover
Trax II

PreviousNext

Return to Tell Us About Your Ride !