Steve's 2 Seat Piranha

Postby pngpiranha » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:47 pm

Thanks guys. Doug my tank is 35 litres (9.2 US Gal). I wanted a big one to allow me to go places and it fits in nicely so there it is. :)
VFR750 - Two seat Piranha with Lockright automatic locking differential. Finally finished and being shipped to Papua New Guinea.

"Think three times and cut once."
pngpiranha
Trax II

Postby Jet » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:21 pm

Looks real good! how good do the rivnuts work! i got my gun today and ive picked up some aluminium 6mm, and they fit into the tags i got cut with a 8mm hole perfectly, and the are very nice looking and very strong!
<a href="http://www.digrite.com.au/racing#!digrite-racing/c23vw">Check out the latest video and Pictures from Digrite Racing</a>
Jet
Barracuda

Postby chrishallett83 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:25 pm

Beautful machine Steve - we're all jealous! Gunna scare a few raksols, even with out the 'disperser' fitted to the roof!
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" - Douglas Bader
chrishallett83
Vulture

Postby pngpiranha » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:36 pm

Latest shots. Building the crate this Thursday and hopefully the buggy will be in it by the end of Friday.

Steve
VFR750 - Two seat Piranha with Lockright automatic locking differential. Finally finished and being shipped to Papua New Guinea.

pngpiranha
Trax II

Postby ResidentPsycho » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:22 pm

fantastic work steve!
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it Image
ResidentPsycho
Taipan

Postby Doug Heim » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:32 pm

Very nice Steve. You going to get it dirty first? Man that would be a shame huh? I especially like the color scheme. I think Ive seen that same scheme on another buggy somewhere. Hmmm
Doug Heim
Sidewinder Plus

Postby hoover » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:32 pm

Very, very nice Steve, now you can sit back and relax for a bit and drive, well once the drive shafts are in.

Cheers
Hoover
hoover
Trax II

Postby Camel » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:44 pm

Steve,

what an excellent outcome, a fantastic looking buggy which is testament to your skill and professionalism.

Camel
---
Gen II Hayabusa - ECU HACKED - 300kmh+ No 2nd and 3rd gear restrictions, Modified maps, Wideband datalogger
http://www.wasuperlites.com
Camel
Piranha

Postby Stevo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:03 pm

Looks awesome mate. Congratulations on an excellent job. It will be nice to finally start to enjoy it. We will be looking forward to some action shots from PNG in the new year mate.
Stevo
Trax II

Postby mick » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:27 pm

Sweet ride Steve. congrats.
mick
Trax II

Postby pngpiranha » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:42 pm

Thanks guys for all your kind words. If it wasn't for many of you I would not be at this stage. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Doug, I'm not that creative or colour coordinated so when I see something that looks great, I tend to copy it. :) Hope you don't mind. Actually my two Fox helmets are in the same colours so that is what finally pushed the colour scheme decision.

Hoover, I won't be driving it before crateing - that is why I left the drive shafts out. I've just polished up my CV's internals as per the Rorty site and re-packed them with grease. I blew a CV boot on my last day out in the bush and the CV got a bit of a hammering but after some polishing up, you'd never know. I'm waiting on another 5 boots to arrive on Wednesday - 1 to replace the one I blew the other weekend and 4 spares. I'm also going to go and buy another two whole shafts as spares on Wednesday.

Stevo, I look forward to posting some PNG shots too. It should come out of the crate in late April/early May. We're doing a 3 month course down in Madang before finally settling up in the Eastern Highlands so it will take a while before I can post any pics.

Mick, thanks for the inspiration for my pannels. It was heaps of work but I'm very happy with them. How did you polish your aluminium pannels? I tried Brasso but it is heaps of work and they still turned out streaky and uneven.

Steve

pngpiranha
Trax II

Postby Camel » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:11 am

Steve,

polishing aluminium? Try Autosol. On new panels it will come up like chrome. Use heaps on an open weave 100%cotton cloth. I find the wife's tea towels are perfect, actually, perfection are those non-towelling cloth babies nappies.

For panels, when applying the Autosol, use the 'wax-on, wax-off' swirl. Turn the cloth when it turns black. Once you've polished it get your hands on an electric sander and wack on a lambswool buff. Don't apply too much weight, buff to a brilliant chrome-like sheen.

I love polishing up my alloy bike parts, particularly if they were corroded to hell when I started on them. But beware! Don't use the lambswool buff on these tackers! They'll catch on the spinning wool and fly across the workshop to embed themselves in a newly painted fuel tank (the memory still brings tears to my eyes). Use a cloth buffing wheel on an angle grinder and work out a way to hold them firmly. As can be seen in the photo below. I attach a handle to the bolts.

Camel
---
Gen II Hayabusa - ECU HACKED - 300kmh+ No 2nd and 3rd gear restrictions, Modified maps, Wideband datalogger
http://www.wasuperlites.com
Camel
Piranha

Postby trojan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:56 am

Aircraft quality job Steve. I hope you are going to stay in contact while you're in Madang.

Oh and thanks for quickly putting it back together for our enjoyment before you left. ;)

Cheers.
Don't ya hate it when you put your heart into something only to have political c**ts who've contributed little by comparison, knife you in the back?
trojan
Piranha

Postby mick » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:32 am

Steve,
Camel is on the money with the method ! basically the more elbow grease applied the better the finish. I recently found a product wich in my opion is 1 step above 'autosol,' it called 'liquid reflection', seems to work quicker with a bit less work and rather than a tea towel I use polishing cloth. If you wish to retain the shine a coat of clear over the top will work but probably not a good idea on off road buggy parts, more appropriate for a road bike.
mick
Trax II

Postby pngpiranha » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:42 pm

I built the crate yesterday and spent today starting to load it up. There is still room for heaps more stuff. :D

Thanks guys for the tips on aluminium polishing. I'll get some Autosol and stick it in.

Trojan, I probably will not be able to post from Madang as we'll be spending much of the time in a village situation without power - much less an internet connection. :shock: Should be interesting anyway.

Steve

pngpiranha
Trax II

Postby Sterin » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:06 pm

Hey Steve your buggy looks bloody awesome mate, good luck in PNG & post some pics as soon as you can in its new habitat.

Thanks for shareing, it has been very enjoyable & informative following your build.

Stu
Life is like a carousel, spinning fast, youve gotta ride it well
Sterin
Fun Kart

Postby pngpiranha » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:07 am

Buggy is getting buried :shock:

Thanks Sterin, I'll be sure to post some pics as soon as I can after digging it out of the box.

Steve

pngpiranha
Trax II

Postby ResidentPsycho » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:54 am

looks like ur packing every square inch there steve :P

goodluck with ur trip!
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it Image
ResidentPsycho
Taipan

Postby pngpiranha » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:47 am

Yeah I have to mate. You pay by the cubic meter so its best to fill it up.

pngpiranha
Trax II

Postby pngpiranha » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:54 pm

I took our three crates to the freight handlers today. This is how the buggy crate ended up.

Is there really a buggy in there?

Gees the forklift driver at the freight handler end made me nervious - rush, rush, rush. The fork tines were real close together and he had that huge crate only just balancing . I hope it all gets where it's going in one piece. My local forklift driver at the airport was fantastic.

Steve

pngpiranha
Trax II

PreviousNext

Return to Tell Us About Your Ride !