Steve's 2 Seat Piranha

Steve's 2 Seat Piranha

Postby pngpiranha » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:51 pm

Hi Guys,

I've just started a Photobucket tonight and put in a few pics of my build so far. I started this build last year in Papua New Guinea and plan to take it back there completed mid next year. It will be road registered and will be my transport every day to the aircraft maintenance hangar where I work - about 5 minutes down a pretty rough dirt road. 8)

Basic Details
2 Seat Piranha based on pictures of the Vulture
Automatic locking Differential (Powertrax Lockright product for 4x4's and race cars)
Double A Arm rear end modified to suit the locking diff
BMW CV's and axles
Twin piston brakes front and rear
Fox Air Shocks
Honda VFR 750 Engine

http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r165/pngpiranha/ for parts and build photos.

http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r165 ... ht%20Diff/ for Lockright differential photos.

I've basically finished the diff now and I'll post some more recent photos of that soon including the SPR530-60 bolted to it.

I've begun modifying a Hyudai Excell steering rack. Housing and bush are complete but just waiting to cut the rack to length.

I jigged up the upper chassis frame yesterday and will be welding it in the next couple of days. My goal is to have the chassis rolling by Christmas.

I'd welcome any comments or questions.

Steve

Basic Layout
pngpiranha
Trax II

Postby theo » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:28 am

Have you thought about dual a arms in the front? Should be a easy mod.
theo
Fun Kart

Postby pngpiranha » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:24 am

Theo, I have toyed with the idea of dual A arms on the front but I can't really see the point. It would be significantly more complex and time consuming and I already have the single A arms basically finished. I don't think there would be enough benefit for what I want to use it for. Thanks for your reply.

Steve :)
pngpiranha
Trax II

Postby pngpiranha » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:18 am

Photobucket updated with tonights work. Here are a couple of snap shots.

I welded up the upper frame tonight. See also some photos of my automatic locking differential.

Cover plates with gaskets will be bolted over the drive pin on both sides to seal the diff along with axle seals (axles not shown). Rear housing only slightly modified to suit.

Brake disk to bolt on to this side.

Steve
pngpiranha
Trax II

Postby theo » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:17 am

I like that , do you have a source for that diff?
theo
Fun Kart

Postby pngpiranha » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:47 am

The diff centre is a Powertrax Lockright to suit a Toyota Hilux (pickup). I machined up the rest of it to plans I designed and drew. I am very happy to share the plans. Probably should test drive it first though. The plans are a bit basic but should give enough info to build another one. For info on the Lockright visit http://www.powertrax.com/lockright.html

For a good discussion on how this thing works visit http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/html/lokka_discuss.htm

Steve
Last edited by pngpiranha on Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pngpiranha
Trax II

Postby Gordy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:40 am

Thats a great idea, i would love a copy of the design

greyburn@optusnet.com.au

I think you could easily fit this in the pircv carrier with some mods of course.

Thanks,

Gordon.
Dont drink Drive, Its washing powder!
(TRX850 Pirahna 90% complete)
Gordy
Trax II

Postby pngpiranha » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:33 pm

Thanks Gordon. I think it would be quite easy to adapt into the PIRCV rear end. Actually it is probably better suited to that type of housing. I'd already started on the Double A rear with CV's so I've continued down that track. Maybe on another build for me. I've sent some CAD drawings to you. Hope you can read them.

Steve
pngpiranha
Trax II

Postby pngpiranha » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:01 am

More progress tonight - lower frame and nose angles welded up. Rack modification completed.

Steve
pngpiranha
Trax II

Postby theo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:22 am

What are the inside measurements of the driving area? That's going to look good.
theo
Fun Kart

Postby pngpiranha » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:27 am

Upper frame is wider than lower frame. Lower frame at rear of cockpit is 1130mm between inside the frame and tapers down to 992mm. Upper frame at rear of cockpit is 1240mm and tapers down to 1004mm at the front. Length is 1195mm inside. Hope that makes sense. It feels pretty roomy. I'll have the seats next week so I'll post pics of the seats in the frame.

Steve
pngpiranha
Trax II

Postby Doug Heim » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:02 pm

I am intrested in the files for that diff. Looks great. Keep up the good work. Doug

Dheim4@new.rr.com
Doug Heim
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Tony » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:06 pm

Looks exactly like a Vulture frame!
Tony
Administrator

Postby Doug Heim » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:23 pm

I would look into the Barracuda front end though. At least the upswept nose... LOOKS very good though Im not bashing it. Im sure you had the A-arms before hand. Just my input. I cant wait to see how it turns out, I want to build a 2 seater one day.
Doug Heim
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Tony » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:32 pm

Your right Doug, I didn't notice that the chassis did not have an upswept nose.
Tony
Administrator

Postby pngpiranha » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:50 am

Thanks Guys for your comments.

Doug, I built the front A arms last year and at that stage I was going to build a standard Piranha. Then I played with the idea of a two seater by widening the Piranha. Late last year Tony sent me some photos of the Vulture and that was the first I saw of the swept up front. Actually I didn't like the look of it at first. I do now but it would mean remaking the front A arms and I have enough to do. I want to have this thing finished before we head back to PNG mid 2007. I ordered my Fox Air Shocks from the US in July this year and only ordered the short ones for the front so that made my decision - build a Vulture frame with a Piranha front. :) I think it will still look pretty good.

Tony, I guessed all the dimensions. It might look like a Vulture frame but I'm sure it is quite different. I doubt that the side pannels you have will fit it. I couldn't be that lucky.

Just back from the hangar now and I've tacked the two frames together. With different width frames it makes for some interesting angles in the verticle members but it is comming along well. I'm enjoying seeing lots of progress for the time I'm putting in.

Steve
pngpiranha
Trax II

Postby Doug Heim » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:09 am

Thats what I figured Steve. Just so you know I have my fox airs currently charged to 400#. My front A-arms are not made to plans if you count the lower shock mount point location. You may want to get those as far out as possible due to your extra weight of a 2 seater with a passenger. I am still rinning a little light but I think it is revalving. It compresses too fast. The current valving is 35 / 55 I believe. If you do not do this you may have issues. Nice and clean shop by the way.
Doug Heim
Sidewinder Plus

Postby pngpiranha » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:31 pm

More progress tonight. Diagonal bracing tacked in place. Will be starting the roll bars tomorrow. It is sure to be interesting. I've never bent pipe before. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks Doug for the Fox Shocks info. I'll keep that in mind and probably will try mount the shocks further out on the front A arms. I have not done the shock mount points yet becuase of these sorts of issues.

Photobucket updated. http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r165/pngpiranha/

Steve
pngpiranha
Trax II

Postby pngpiranha » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:56 pm

More progress. Main roll bar in place. I found I could not bend the pipe with a cheap pipe bender. It just kinked the pipe so I had this roll bar done professionally. Front and rear bars will be ready early next week. It's becomming quite the family wagon!

One CV flange in place on inner diff axle. Axles made from cut down Landcruiser axles.
Steve
Last edited by pngpiranha on Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pngpiranha
Trax II

Postby pngpiranha » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:58 pm

Parts for sale.
1 x Double A rear end housing (the one pictured because I have changed the design slightly to fit my diff.)
2 x Adjuster Plates
2 x Front Stub Axles (the ones pictured). These should suit the CAL01 caliper. I have changed to the twin piston CAL032 calipers.
1 x SPR530-60 brand new.
I'll probably list them on ebay as soon as I get my laser cutting order at the end of this week.

Steve
pngpiranha
Trax II

Next

Return to Tell Us About Your Ride !