Shaun's Piranha Build x 2 ;)

Re: Shaun's Piranha Build x 2 ;)

Postby chopper » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:14 pm

yeah mate, i would put one in, make it removable if need be, it also gives you some steel to mount things such as a firewall or wiring.
the build is looking real good shaun, keep it up and keep the pics coming too
chopper
Taipan

Postby HoldenSS5L » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:22 pm

Yeah mate cheers, matt(boily) said I would prob still need it so just wanted to see what others would say...

I worked out I can fit the GSXR1000 through the current gap but wouldn't slot in as easily with that bar in so yeah will make it removable...

I am gonna start doing the wiring once I finish the frames and suspension and can't wait it is going to be out of control hehehe... helps that I am an auto sparky ;)

Shaun
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

Postby Tony » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:28 pm

Not required.
If you do deceide to fit a crossbar make it a bolt in item, but only after you have fitted the engine.
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Postby HoldenSS5L » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:43 pm

Tony wrote:Not required.
If you do deceide to fit a crossbar make it a bolt in item, but only after you have fitted the engine.

Hmmmm... If not required I might not worry about it at all...

Hey tony do you have a stud pattern that suits your rims that is a wide available stud pattern, because I am currently doing a bit of work for a guy that owns a tyre shop and I am gonna hit him up for 8 rims and tyres simply so I can push the buggies around on until I buy some rims and tyres off you so basically need a stud pattern that is common ??

EDIT: just to add to that because I am gonna buy the hubs off you also...
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

Postby Tony » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:09 pm

Sorry, ATV stud patterns are different to car patterns.
We use the following:
Front: 4 stud 156mm PCD
Rear: 4 stud 115mm PCD
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Postby HoldenSS5L » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:21 pm

Hmmm... ok might just get some commodore tyres and rims and weld the holes up and drill em out to the right PCD... they won't be driven on, simply so I can push the buggies around ;)
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

Postby scuba » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:17 pm

hey mate builds are looking great.

i have some commodore rims with lower profile tyres on them that i was going to modify to suit the hubs.
the tyre dia was 24'' so pretty close to the piranha ones.
the plan was to cut a disc and drill out the holes then weld it onto the rim (outside) and drill the rim to suit. on the front i might have to weld a plate both sides as there isnt a solid disc on the edge hubs for the different rims to mount on.

i will also be getting a set of edge rims once the build is up ad running but we have a few spots that the owners dont want to be destroyed so we will run the commodore rims and tyres there.
less talk more action, more torque less traction
scuba
Raven

Postby HoldenSS5L » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:12 pm

Yeah I wouldn't mind setting it up with some road tyres and going down the quater some time...

Shaun
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

Postby HoldenSS5L » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:36 pm

Hey guys...

Just wondering what everyone uses for their panel tabs ?? i.e what size flat bar or what ever ??

Shaun
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

Postby rob8420 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:16 am

I got mine done in 6mm plate and then i have tapped them to M8 so i do not need to rivnut them i got 50 of them but will need another 50. :o

Also get about 10 the same style but longer so you can always use them for other odd little things like seatbelt mounts and then you can cut them shorter :D

Robin

Thanks
Robin
rob8420
Fun Kart

Postby HoldenSS5L » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:16 pm

Thanks Rob, I think I will do something similar also...

Just wondering how people mount their seats in terms of do they keep the bottom of the seat parallel with the floor of the buggy or do you guys lean the seat back slightly, I realise this is probably a personal preference thing but just wondering what people who have driven their buggies a lot have found ?? I have the edge seats ;)

Shaun
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

Postby chopper » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:54 pm

its an individual thing, it depends on how comfortable you feel, i run a kirkey alloy seat and had to lay it back about an inch at the front, it felt a bit too upright, its all about comfort, grab a steering wheel, put the chassis on the floor with the seat in it then sit down and find the best position, just a tip, dont make the seat mounts too high, clearance under the steering wheel for your legs could be a problem, also be careful on the steering wheel diamater.
merry xmas mate.
Anthony
chopper
Taipan

Postby HoldenSS5L » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:54 pm

Cheers mate,

Yeah I put the frame on the ground and put the seat in flat on the floor and it felt good but I was thinking ok it might feel good just sitting here but is it better to lie it back a bit from a driving point of view so that you kinda sink into the seat if that makes any sense ??

Yeah seat is going to be as low as she can go... ;)

Merry christmas to you also...

Shaun
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

Postby rob8420 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:53 pm

Hi yeh also like the seat leaned back but it does obviously depend on the seat you have!

Robin

Thanks
Robin
rob8420
Fun Kart

Postby itchyback » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:54 pm

I kept my seats level, tipping back felt weird (not edge seats), also check the roof height allowing for a helmet and bounce.
Two Seat Barracuda 2.0
Completed.... except for upgrades, repairs, modifications....
itchyback
Trax II

Postby HoldenSS5L » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:22 am

Hey peoples,

Been chipping away at the second frame to get it to same stage as first, should be there tomorrow ;)

Got a quick question in regards to crutch crusher belt do you make the mounting point forward of the hole in the seat or backwards ?? I am think backwards ??

Shaun
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

Postby rob8420 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:35 am

I would not know I only put 4 point harness in didn't fancy the crotch crusher :D but I would emagine backwards for the greater pull effect :lol:

Robin

Thanks
Robin
rob8420
Fun Kart

Postby Bluezone » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:01 pm

Tabs I used 25mm x 5mm flat steel and 8mm hole. Made all by hand.

Made a lot more then this now. :D

My mount is in center of the nut crusher hole. But im only running 4 point at moment.
Bluezone
Piranha

Postby HoldenSS5L » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:01 pm

hahaha... yeah I started making a heep of those tabs about a week ago... hehehe now I gotta tap them all ;)

Yeah hahaha I usually call it the ball spreader strap but was trying to keep it clean on here hahaha
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

Postby HoldenSS5L » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:51 am

Well been pretty flat out on the buggies yesterday and today...

Not many photos but as they would just look the same as what I have already put up because I have just been busy getting the second frame up to the same stage as the first.

Anyway got all the bar work done and then welded the mounting points on to the side of the buggy for the nerf bars and tapped them out... Not too much more really report on, am hoping to get a bit more done tomorrow ;)

All bar work completed same as other buggy.

Pic showing both buggies.

Tapping 8mm threads...

All bolted in...

Shaun
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

PreviousNext

Return to Tell Us About Your Ride !