Shaun's Piranha Build x 2 ;)

Re: Shaun's Piranha Build x 2 ;)

Postby HoldenSS5L » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:10 am

Well today................

Started off by being called into work, so yeah basically I was chasing my tail from the start...

Anyway picked up the notcher and finally got cracking, bent up the front roll bar hoop for both buggies and then made the join roof supports for one of the buggies and then had to stop because was getting a little too noisy for 9:30 at night...

Anyway here are some pics...

Shaun
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

Postby HoldenSS5L » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:10 am

Oh yeah quick question for you experienced guys... Going to be doing the cross in the rear roll bar hoop, is it necessary to do it out of 25NB or do you guys step it down and use the 20NB for that to save some weight ??

Shaun
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

Postby chopper » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:11 pm

nice work on the bars mate, dont do the cross brace yet, wait until you are a bit further along to see what might get in the way, the air box on the engine is a good cantidate for possibly fouling on the bars, if you have enough room in your engine bay you might be ok, keep in mind how the engine goes in and out as to what bars you put in, i learnt that the hard way, i had to cut out and modify my bars.
i done mine all from 25nb, 20nb looks a bit small.
9.30 isnt late, i was machining my fuel filler at 1am last night
chopper
Taipan

Postby HoldenSS5L » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:26 pm

chopper wrote:nice work on the bars mate, dont do the cross brace yet, wait until you are a bit further along to see what might get in the way, the air box on the engine is a good cantidate for possibly fouling on the bars, if you have enough room in your engine bay you might be ok, keep in mind how the engine goes in and out as to what bars you put in, i learnt that the hard way, i had to cut out and modify my bars.
i done mine all from 25nb, 20nb looks a bit small.
9.30 isnt late, i was machining my fuel filler at 1am last night

Yeah mate might do that ;) hehehe notching the pipes is actually a lot louder then I thought it was going to be :(

Shaun
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

Postby HoldenSS5L » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:28 pm

Here is some more progress pics from today, will let the pics do the talking ;)

Shaun
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

Postby chopper » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:40 pm

lookin good, i did the bars in the windscreen aswell, cuts down a big area and adds strength, looks like you know what you are doing.
the best bit about this site is that everone is willing to help, all you have to do is ask
chopper
Taipan

Postby rob8420 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:23 pm

Is it just me or does the front roll bar look higher on the left buggy than the right one in the second from bottom pic. Probs just how the photo is taken but just curious :D

Looking like it will be an awesome build though :shock:

Robin

Thanks
Robin
rob8420
Fun Kart

Postby HoldenSS5L » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:14 am

rob8420 wrote:Is it just me or does the front roll bar look higher on the left buggy than the right one in the second from bottom pic. Probs just how the photo is taken but just curious :D

Looking like it will be an awesome build though :shock:

Robin

Good spotting, I have got the roof on mine slightly higher then the missus to allow for my height 6'6"

Only raised it an inch

Shaun
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

Postby rob8420 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:38 am

Yeh cool that is what i thought i had to hump my 2 roof tubes to allow for height especially with a helmet on :D

Looks super good work keep it up very brave doing 2 at the same time one is enough for me to contend with :)

Robin

Thanks
Robin
rob8420
Fun Kart

Postby HoldenSS5L » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:39 pm

Bit of an update but no pics as CBF'd after work...

My rear housing parts and front and rear uprights turned up today, I had the rear uprights welded because I thought the bearing went inside them so was worried about warping it, but my mistake the ones I ordered/needed/got use the bearing plates, but that aside, god damn the welds are awesome to the boys at edge use MIG or TIG ??

Shaun
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

Postby HoldenSS5L » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:49 am

Well made some good progress today but then realised I have made a HUGE mistake... :( I am hoping you guys might be able to tell me if I can still go on, because if not it is basically a start from scratch all over again and I dun think the budget could handle that :(

Ok what I have done is if you go to page 5 on the piranha plans you will notice the length of 1002mm from the back to where the wing comes out the front, when I made the bottom frame I took that measurement from the outside of the back instead of the inside :( basically what this equates to is that the top frame sits about 50mm too far back... now it doesn't effect the roll cage which the back shocks and that mount to but it does mean the nose of the buggy is 50mm shorter then specs and what makes this worse is that I have built two identical buggies do you guys think this will effect the double a arm front suspension ??

Anyway here are some pics of todays progress, BUT I am just spewing about my mistake as I have been putting so much time into getting everything right and have just buggered up with one small oversight :( Pretty pissed at myself :(

Here you can see how the top frame sits a bit too far back but that part should be ok it is more the front I am worried about :(

Shaun
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

Postby Canadian » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:44 am

Lookin Good, nice work :)
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
"-Mario Andretti
Canadian
Raven

Postby Bluezone » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:21 am

Looking very nice. :D Laser cut parts are sooooo nice and easy to work with.
Bluezone
Piranha

Postby Canadian » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:11 pm

I am all for that! 8)
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
"-Mario Andretti
Canadian
Raven

Postby itchyback » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:12 pm

ah yes, whats a build without some mistakes, or 'unscheduled upgrades' as i like to call them. I rebuilt my entire frame after finding some mistakes. I dont know much about the piranha so i dont know how the 50mm short will impact things hopefully someone else can help you more there (will the engine still fit?), i can only suggest having a good eyeball through the plans to see what might happen, people seem to mess around with making things longer all the time, so why not shorter? just a better turning circle maybe :wink:
If it means you'll lose sleep then pull it apart, it only looks tacked together, add an extra month or so to your build and go again. the metal you have used wont go to waste further down the track.
Two Seat Barracuda 2.0
Completed.... except for upgrades, repairs, modifications....
itchyback
Trax II

Postby chopper » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:18 pm

hi haun, i dont want to be the bearer of bad news but i think you might run into some dramas down the track if you dont fix it now, its not a hard fix, its only cutting out a few bars, you dont have to scrap the whole lot, cut the bars out of the front and extend them, if you dont it will change all the angles and might not allow enough room for feet and steering, 50mm is a huge amount down there.
the rear section is easy, the rear bar on the top frame can just be shortened , your tank filler neck will go in there if you use a tail tank and also rear shock mounts may be affected, sometimes one mistake can snowball and create bigger ones down the track, all the steel is still usable, better to make a $10 mistake now rather than a $1000 mistake later.
we have all been there and done it mate
Anthony
chopper
Taipan

Postby HoldenSS5L » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:23 pm

Waaaa Waaaa.... hahaha

I will think over it, the thing is I will need to make the whole bottom frame again because that is what has caused the whole problem :( I simply measured the 1002 from the outside of the rear bar instead of the inside when I was making the bottom frame :(

So basically bottom frame would be scraped... front bonnet bars scraped, the bits that front swing arms mount up to scraped, the uprights and the very front and the uprights in front of them scrapped, the bars between the roll bar hoops will be too short... so bascially only bits salvage able will be top frame, both roll bar hoops and the roll bars that going down to the rear housing... basically it is only from the front roll bar hoops forward that is 50mm shorter, the rear end isn't a problem cause I can just cut the 50mm out to shorten it to where it should be...

Dun know what to do, I can sleep with knowing it ain't quite right provided it still works right because I have changed that many other measurements but have ensured that I have always kept the suspension components to the plans specs :(

Shaun
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

Postby Trav » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:05 pm

Hey Shaun, nice build(s).
I wouldn't be too streesed about it. Have a sit in there and see how it feels.
It shouldn't affect the steering geometry at all so you're safe there.

Chopper is right though, that's the business end and you want more room than less for sure.

I've done a few things wrong on my builds and it's a pain but it's worth putting on you're engineers cap and finding the cheapest, most effective and easiest way to solve the problem-might not be a case of starting again and it may look different to the plans when you're done :roll: but that's the fun of it!

Good luck!
CBR 900 Piranah *under construction*
Trav
Taipan

Postby Mclovin » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:42 pm

As far as i understand your bottom front rails are too short and this is what will cause you the most problems. This is affect most of your plate and bracket sizes that are required for the double front end due to angle changes and such...

What you could do (i'm not 100% sure this will work) is chop out the bonnet bars along with your bottom rails and front section of the nose, extend the front by the require length so the front end is perfect and then make up some new rails.

From what i can tell this SHOULD work, thats if your top frame (RHS) is creating the correct angle with your bottom frame.
"To be old and wise first you need to be young and stupid"

50% complete Piranha Kawasaki ZZR 600
Mclovin
Taipan

Postby HoldenSS5L » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:43 am

Thanks for all the replies peoples, Matt(boily) is going to come over and we are going to access tomorrow..

I know this engine may have been maybe one or two hundred times before but I couldn't find anthing decissive... would a double a arm rear with porsche CV's handle a GSX1000R ?? also would I need any extra engine bay room ??

Shaun
HoldenSS5L
Fun Kart

PreviousNext

Return to Tell Us About Your Ride !