first build

first build

Postby lonerangeshoot » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:32 pm

If anyone could give me a few options on shocks,or other tircks of the trade.This is my first build and any help would be very helpful. Im in the learning process so if I ask a couple of dumb questions please dont pound me. As you can see the progress I have made on the other posts I have made. Thanks From The USof A
Frank.
lonerangeshoot
Registered Member

Postby FRED.S » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:01 am

Try looking at FOX Shocks

I know many have use these on there buggies

Sorry dont know the Model :)
FRED.S
Registered Member

Shock Options

Postby Rick S. » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:10 am

I'm using Fox 2.0 Air shocks, 14" stroke for the rears on my current build. Make sure they are the air shocks with the 1.25" shaft size. You mount them with the valve and shock body at the top. They will work in place of the Shock 750 R's, but you have to disassemble them and add a stop tube inside the shock, then a stop collar on the outside of the shaft. This will allow you to maintain the same stroke and overall length as the 750 R's. By short stroking the shocks you will also be making them a lot stronger for the side loading they will see on the Piranha. The Fox 14" stroke has a 35.1" extended length. The stop tube needs to be 1.800" O.D. x 1.38" I.D. x 5.58" long. (mild steel) You might also turn the O.D. so it looks like a spool to save some weight. It goes between the inner shock spring and the cap seal. This tube will shorten the extended length of the shock to 39.52"(750mm) This also shortens the stroke to 8.42" but you still need to shorten it more if you need to maintain the 7.45"(190mm) stroke. So then you make and add the external collar .97" long. This shortens the stroke to 190mm. You can also add a groove to the external collar for retaining a shock boot. Now you will also need to make 4 high missalignment spacers for the lower mounts. These can be made without downsizing the 1/2" mount bolts. because you only need about 17 degrees forward angle with your suspension at full compression. The Fox shocks come charged with 200psi nitrogen so you need to slowly let this out before disassembling the shock. Make sure to let it out slowly with the valve at the top or you will have oil squirting out. then carefully pry the thin retainer cap off revealing the seal and retaining ring. push the seal down and remove the ring. Now everything can be pulled out by the shaft. Do all of this with the rod end up leaving all of the oil inside the shock body. you will also have to remove the rod eye to install the stop tube. The rod eye is red loctited on so it will take some muscle to remove it. Be careful not to marr the shaft. When putting it all back together be sure to remove the stop tubes volume in oil. A good way to make and retain the outer collar is to c'bore it to 1.25 I.D x .90 deep then put a 1.12 dia thru the last .07 of material. now just sandwich this between the rod eye and shaft when you put it all back together. Recharge the shock to 200psi nitrogen. This will give you the equivilent of about a 200lb per in spring rate.

For the front shocks you just buy the fox 2.0 air 4 1/2" stroke. its colapsed length is 299.5mm vs the Shock 390 colapsed length of 300mm
For the fronts you should use limit straps to restrict the travel to 90mm. It can be done with an inner sleeve as on the rear, but the fronts see a lot of hammering at full droop and this is hard on the shocks. Fox does not recomend topping out their shocks.
Charge the fronts to their 500lb max rating and adjust down from there.
Rick S.
Fun Kart

Postby lonerangeshoot » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:35 pm

Thanks, thats the kind of info I needed. Now all I have do do is find them in stock somewhere.
lonerangeshoot
Registered Member

Postby fastguy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:34 am

$$$$$ fox shox $$$$$$

but the best :lol:
fastguy
Fun Kart

Postby Doug Heim » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:16 pm

the pair will run you about $450... I can do the mods if you wish and source them as I have done the same as Rick... I actually supplied Rick with the parts to do the mods so I know what is involved... E-mail me if you wish to go this route... I have many sources to help you out in this area. Later Doug
Doug Heim
Sidewinder Plus

Postby fastguy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:15 pm

um for my bike they costed 1500

do the buggy ones cost 450 :shock: never looked
fastguy
Fun Kart

Postby Doug Heim » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:21 pm

I have bought 6 pairs of Fox Airs in the last year so yes... thats the cost here in the U.S. for a pair of 14" Fox Airs. Use 55/65 valving
Last edited by Doug Heim on Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Heim
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Doug Heim » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:22 pm

The mods can be done on your own but be carefull not to damage the shock.. then charge with 275 PSI nitrogen. I can do the charging too
Doug Heim
Sidewinder Plus

Return to USA