Buggy Canada

Buggy Canada

Postby CountryBoy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:12 pm

First forum so go easy...

Buddy and I r wanting to build a buggy for a school project. I am 16 and he is 17. We were thinking on building a baracuda. with a grsx 1000cc engine. And we were wondering if any of u guys could tell us some pointers and tips.. Buddys main consern was should he make it a 2 seater and if he should put a gearbox in it for reverse??? Tell us ur tips and pointers??? And if we should put the gearbox.
CountryBoy
Registered Member

Re: Buggy Canada

Postby Kevin.E » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:39 pm

I would say build 2 single seaters because when you graduate are you and your friend are going to have to decide who gets it. But if thats not a problem I would only build 1 and make it a single, Because with a double your not going to be able to go as fast or have the great handling.

And whether or not you put reverse in depends on where are you going to be driving it. If your driving it on logging roads (like I do) your gonna want it, but if your on a big open field I doubt you will need it and you could save some money by not putting it in.

Ok tips, I built mine at school to so I know what its like.

1. Make sure the school has the tools you need... Mainly a big pipe bender (I wound up paying $300 to get mine bent because school didnt have one, not including material just the bending)

2. Make sure you are commited to it and have enough money. Sure would suck to have a half finished buggy and no money left.

3. If you graduate before you finish are you going to have access to a place where you can?

4. Do you know how to weld or know someone that can teach you to or do it for you.
Sidewinder... waiting on engine and paint
Kevin.E
Registered Member

Re: Buggy Canada

Postby chopper » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:15 am

i think kevin covered all the bases, but make sure you have the 2 main ingredients to build a buggy like the barracuda.
1- more than adequate engineering and fabrication skills ( hard to find at 16-17)
2- plenty of $$$$( also hard to find at 16-17)
my opinion is take on a smaller project like a sidewinder first, practice on a cheaper buggy first
chopper
Taipan

Return to USA