Barracuda

Barracuda

Postby newbie » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:01 pm

Anyone plan on buildin one, and have any place in the US that you know that you can get parts
Registered Member

Postby Jet » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:36 pm

Jet

Postby bart » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:50 pm

Newbie,
look for Doug Heim he is the man in the U.S. to talk to.(wisconsin) :D :D :D
welder's do it with bigger rod's
bart
Registered Member

Postby Doug Heim » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:55 pm

I am building one. There are some items that you will want to buy from the Edge. Calipers, Bearings, And some other stuff.
Doug Heim
Sidewinder Plus

Postby buggyboy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:18 am

bart wrote:Newbie,
look for Doug Heim he is the man in the U.S. to talk to.(wisconsin) :D :D :D

your right he is the man! :D :D :D :D
buggyboy
Trax II

Postby Doug Heim » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:41 am

Well Im sure this thread will be deleted by the admin team ASAP. Thanks Buggy Boy. But no need to try and help advertise for me on this forum as Tony says. Im the competition. Im evil remember. Stay away from me. I dont even know what the hell Im doing.
Doug Heim
Sidewinder Plus

Postby trojan » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:03 pm

Why 's that?

Doug, you're taking it to heart and missing the point to an extent that begs the question about a clue.....

I think you are missing a couple of pertinent points.

1) This in the Edge SUPPORT forum, NOT a general "all about buggies" forum. I (especially) forget that sometimes too.

2) Tony built up the market you're trying to operate in, from scratch.
For comparison, find someone who has started their own business from scratch in a NICHE market and see how they would react to having someone else encroach that market ON THE COATTAILS of the first person. Those of us that have built a business from scratch appreciate (fully) the effort required to make a niche business successful - it's far more than you would think is possible.

3) how much of what you sell did you design wholly yourself and just coincidentally is appropriate for edge buggies?

As an example, the photo of all those rear-ends in a row.
If that was for your race team and you purchased on copy of the plans for each buggy, that would be SUPER COOL!
If it's for the purpose of "LOOK AT ME" factor.... guess how cool that's not.... just ask quadkiller - he knows!

Again, I'm not trying to take a shot at you Doug, but I honestly think you've missed the point.
Don't ya hate it when you put your heart into something only to have political c**ts who've contributed little by comparison, knife you in the back?
trojan
Piranha

Postby Doug Heim » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:52 pm

I do see the point and I do get it. I get paid for my labor and the materials involved. I dont get paid for the design. I do not do it for the "look at me" factor. I do it because I enjoy fab work and what the parts are for. I have designed alot of my own stuff. I have also driven alot of what I do from others ideas. The reason I post so many pics is to document my time and hope others would want to copy my ideas. Which alot of others do and I enjoy it. I know this forum is all about the Edge and THAT is the real reason I do not participate as much anymore. Not because my PM privilages were taken away or because Edge has a problem with what Im doing. I have pointed out issues with the original designs which were deleted in worries that the Edge would look bad. I did this to help builders, not try to make Edge look bad. I have all the E-mails and posts save to my computer if anyone wants to E-mail me Ill try and dig them up when I have the time.

I know there are some that do not agree with what I do. I am not inventing anything new and neither is Tony. Its all the same stuff with different takes and views and applications. Maybe one day Ill design my own buggy. Peaople tell me everyday that if I did they would buy it. I only do this as a hobby to support the finances of my hobby. Its really a hobby gone mad. I just hope that some can level with me and see my points as well. I never intended to step on anyones toes. I guess is just a habit of the need to build stuff. Better than drugs or gambling.

When it comes down to it I am probably the oldest in time spent on the forum participating that is still participating. When I first delt with Edge there was no Piranha in existance. It was the Sidewinder Plus and the Hypersprint then everything below. I have just evolved in my own way and come along way most recently since I started building again 3 years ago. Anyway Im exhausted. Later Doug
Doug Heim
Sidewinder Plus

Postby trojan » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:56 pm

Doug, I understand where you are coming from - really. I also understand where Tony is coming from, and perhaps you can't understand properly until you have tried to set up your own niche business and gone through all the trials, tribulations and struggling along the way. Every step is a fight and to always "fight the good fight" is more than most manage, usually it gets real tough and they sell out their ideals. Trust me, it's trying - but it'll make a new man of ya ;)

The fact you weren't launched into outer space when Tony put his foot down is testament to the respect you have engendered. Anyone who wants to argue with me as to your remarkable skills is welcome to try! I can't speak for those that are involved, but from my observation the old deletion thing you are referring to is history (Kudos to those involved!!!).

Now if you think I'm full of sh1t, start an honest discussion on the cuda front suspension design (I'm familiar with your opinion and I think it has merit) and see what happens...
Don't ya hate it when you put your heart into something only to have political c**ts who've contributed little by comparison, knife you in the back?
trojan
Piranha

Postby chrishallett83 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:01 pm

What's wrong with the front suspension on the Cuda? Looks pretty fucken good to me? I know you make the upper arms out of bigger tube Doug, Is this because you plan to jump over the Grand Canyon a la Evel Knievel?
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" - Douglas Bader
chrishallett83
Vulture

Postby trojan » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:12 pm

:lol: if you're trying to beef it up you would strengthen the LOWER arms.

Looking good was not Doug's point...
trojan
Piranha

Postby chrishallett83 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:22 pm

That's what I was also wondering. The lower arms would be a better candidate for reinforcement?
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" - Douglas Bader
chrishallett83
Vulture

Postby Doug Heim » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:34 pm

on my Cuda I have not beefed up any A-arms front or rear. I did install gussets though. the reason you would not use larger tube is that clearances are way too close and fouling will occur easier on the tie rods to the upper rear part of the A-arm. I have used 1" DOM for my personal Arms. Ill get more into my mads later in the discussion but I have to get to work... Happy easter everyone!!!
Doug Heim
Sidewinder Plus

Postby chrishallett83 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:41 pm

Happy Easter to you too Doug!

Yes, and you too Trojan!
chrishallett83
Vulture

Postby trojan » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:02 pm

Chocolate buggies (and billbys) all 'round!
trojan
Piranha

Postby buggyboy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:57 pm

doug its all good they havent deleted it yet. Sick of chocolate for now. Nothing like good old ham for Easter! :D :D
buggyboy
Trax II

Postby Jet » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:34 pm

Beef up the lower A-arms?

are you serious?
<a href="http://www.digrite.com.au/racing#!digrite-racing/c23vw">Check out the latest video and Pictures from Digrite Racing</a>
Jet
Barracuda

Postby trojan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:17 pm

Theoretically, if you are trying for whatever reason to strengthen the front suspension (whether you would want to is immaterial) the lower arms take most of the stress.

To put it another way, given that the lower arms are appropriately rated, making the top arms out of the same material is overkill.
But you can never have too much overkill :twisted: I appreciate in practice it is easier to make it all out of the same material, but theoretically it's not needed.

The top arms serve as a camber/caster/KPI brace whereas the lower arm does the majority of the "work".
trojan
Piranha

Postby chrishallett83 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:47 pm

I'm sure it was pointed out that in the pics of the Barra Doug built for Rico the top arms are made of a bigger tube than the plans?
chrishallett83
Vulture

Postby Doug Heim » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:29 am

they were. But dont do it as there is really no benefit. The lower ars are beefy enough as Trojan & Jet says.

Jet did you get my reply on your fuel fittings?
Doug Heim
Sidewinder Plus

Next

Return to USA