STATE REGULATIONS

STATE REGULATIONS

Postby Anonymous » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:43 am

In general, regulations in the US are going to restrict or eliminate the use of most Edge products on state land in New England. The primary problem is the width, which is commonly limited to 50 inches in most of the New England states (Mass is an exception).

If there was a rationale way to modify a buggy (with suspension) to meet the width requirements, the market would open up. Short term, the only other option is private motocross tracks, and those are very difficult to get on with anything other than an ATV or bike. Any comments would be useful.
Anonymous

Postby lonerangeshoot » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:27 pm

Where did you hear this? Did I miss something?
lonerangeshoot
Registered Member

Rules

Postby Tony » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:46 pm

There are tens of thousands of Dune buggies, sand rails etc in the USA, what is going to happen to these buggies?
Are these restrictions for New England only or the whole of the USA.
It's not practical to restrict the width of a buggy as they become unstable, bad handling & lack suspension travel.
In short, you end up with an Odyssey which are very limited on performance.
But I don't think even an Odyssey would come within 50" width.
Tony
Administrator

Michigan ORV Rules

Postby Mike-A » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:34 pm

In Michigan there are over 3000 miles of state designated ORV Trails and Routes.

Motorcyle Trails- Motorcyles only.
ORV Trails- Motorcycles and ATV's 50" in width or less, 72"Height max.
ORV Routes- All of the above plus Jeeps, Buggies, anything over 50"width.

Plenty of area's for us, but unfortunatly, all routes are north of the mid-line of the state. I have to haul my stuff 2 + hours to the north.
Mike-A
Fun Kart

STATE REGULATIONS

Postby Anonymous » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:48 am

The regulations apply only when utilizing state land, and are not directed at the vehicle itself. But that is where the recreational use usually has to occur in the USA.

The restriction on dimensions can be found in the regulations where the state defines an off road vehicle. Every state can be/is different. These regulations are driven by the "environmentalist" and others who often do not want any kind of motorized activity on government property. It's a real irrational battle, but I think in the west and mid-west USA, Michigan included, regulations are much more tolerant. There is a lot more government land there, much fewer people per square mile.

No doubt a buggy is less stable at 50" width, but note how all the major ATV mfg are staying within that limit, but have a wheebase very close to that too. An ATV has a lot higher center of gravity so requires much body weight shifting to avoid flipping. The ATV mfgs, mostly Japanese, have to build within the regulatory limits they see in the USA. I have long thought that an ATV is more dangerous than a buggy equipped with a roll cage. Also, a buggy can be handled by an older guy, who can no longer take the beating delivered by a motocross bike or an ATV. But there is a reason the major mfgs have stayed out of this business, and I think that reason primarily is oppressive regulations and liability.

What we now need here in the US, particulary in New England, is a high enough volume to motivate the motocross tracks to open up to buggies. Organized competition is a big part of the answer. I think that is feasible as long as the weight and size are kept to a limit. Certainly the Sidewinder fits that description perfectly. This kind of broad scale change takes a lot of time and organization. If the high speed (shifter) Kart industry can grow in the USA, and it is, then buggies should work too.
Again, it will take a big player with a lot of resources to make the buggy business take market share from the ATV and bike corporations.
Anonymous

Postby lonerangeshoot » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:52 pm

I'll agree. The North East sucks as far as places to ride. We usually go to P.A. or Vermont. In the winter if we get enough snow we just run the on the side streets(Sleds), we can register them in state but most dont. The cops dont bother us for the most part because they know that they cant catch us. There are a few state forrest that we do ride(dirt bikes) in and have not had any problems. With the Karts though we go to PA because we run on private land.I dont think Connecticut even has state run trails to ride on. I could be wrong but I have never heard of them. Width restrictions for off road complience in CT Im sure exists somewhere in the laws here but I dont think they are enforced at all. Considering the population density I think that as long as we are not running the streets and not destroying private property they pretty much leave us alone.
lonerangeshoot
Registered Member

POLITICS

Postby Anonymous » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:52 am

Not to beat on this one issue, but without anyplace to ride, everyone that wants to do this kind of thing is out of luck.

I took at look at Conneticutt regulations today, and found that at this time no ATVs are allowed anywhere on state land.

There is, however, a new set of regulations slowly making its way through the mess in Hartford. In those is that persistent 50" width limit. Why? because that is what other states around here do, and because no one who becomes a politician usually has an independent thought in their head. The new regulations, in their current form, will be a disaster for the industry and will serve only a few people whom have the control at the state capitol.

The lack of any organized voice in states like Conneticut also allows the few illogical extremists with their own personal agenda to roll over the rights of other taxpayers and business owners. Its a bad and sad reality, and several Ct businesses in this business, current and future, will be permanently damaged for no good reason.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:29 pm

:(
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Anonymous

Postby fred vann » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:19 pm

hey predator I'm just down the road at leeds when you your up and running maby we can ride sometime do you know any good spots to ride
bama cart
fred vann
Fun Kart

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:10 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Postby fred vann » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:51 am

will
yes that's me my piranha is 56" at the rear. post some pics of yours the guys on here are a lot of help there is a place in cullman where you can ride buggy's bikes atvs. some guy's at work ride there. soon as i work out my bug's and paint and a trailer
bama cart
fred vann
Fun Kart

Postby Anonymous » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:25 am

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Postby fred vann » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:35 am

what i would like to do with rear wheels is put the off set to the inside but i cant because of the upright would have to take a blue wench to it it still is not going to be enough but still looking for a way . been test driving allot around leeds. now i don't want to take it back apart to paint. not going to spend allot on paint it's just going to be covered in mud just flat black. my son wants it to be purple maby some purple flames would be cool . thanks for offering a year to build still have some work but worth every min and dollar . what a blast it will go wherever you point it climes hill's good with the right gear what motor are you going to run ? looking forward to getting together doing some riding keep us posted !!
bama cart
fred vann
Fun Kart

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:18 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Postby fred vann » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:49 am

ANY TIME WILL JUST LET ME KNOW .I HERE CULLMAN A GOOD PLACE TO RIDE FROM WHAT MY FRIENDS AT WORK SAY HERES A PIC FROM SUNDAY WHEN YOU COME OVER TAKE IT OUT BACK FOR A SPIN [img][img]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o180/fred042/cid__0_0.jpg[/img]

[/img]Image[img][IMG

[/img]Image
bama cart
fred vann
Fun Kart

Postby buggyboy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:29 am

how do you find out that your state has buggy trails?
buggyboy
Trax II

Postby Doug Heim » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:40 pm

Wyatt,
Our State does not really have trails at all. I mostly go up to the UP and over to Silverlake but I also know where there is alot of private land to ride on. We will have to get together to do some riding!!!
Doug Heim
Sidewinder Plus

Postby buggyboy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:03 am

just sold my buggy last night. :D to be building barracuda. Doug what do you haul your buggy with? custom trailer or snowmobile trailer?
buggyboy
Trax II

Postby buggyboy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:39 pm

Doug thinking of building a triple buggy or double buggy trailer hauler. dont know yet. Doug what would you build your trailer out of steel or?
buggyboy
Trax II

Return to USA