Best way to ground out the wiring?

Need a spark. All those tedious electrics, lights, tacho, wiring harness, etc

Best way to ground out the wiring?

Postby broujo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:05 am

I need to know the best way to ground my motor.
Motor cranks, fuel pump prims but no spark. My GSXR 600 is wired exactly like busa diagram on earlier post. Here is the kicker the motor will crank when I take the B/Y wire and splice it to the neg side of battery. I still don't get a spark but it sure seems strange like there might be a grounding issue. Any ideas?
broujo
Registered Member

Postby Ti_CLaD » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:20 am

First of all, did you use the original key switch from the bike??? Because my Kawazaki (dunno if your suzuki is the same) but it would turn and prime and what not, but no sparks... the key switch has an internal resistor... mine was on the grey wire...
Claude

Kawazaki ZX7 Piranha, Twin A-Arm Front And Rear
Ti_CLaD
Fun Kart

Postby trojan » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:31 am

Very strange, the diagram says the B/Y is the headlight circuit, grounding it should have blown the fuse?

Double-tripple check your wiring.

Out of the bike, looping all the chassis earths to the neg of the starter (if it has one) or an engine bolt that is not going to piss oil when you loosen it.
Don't ya hate it when you put your heart into something only to have political c**ts who've contributed little by comparison, knife you in the back?
trojan
Piranha

Postby Camel » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:45 am

Broujo,

What year model is your GSXR 600?

Camel
---
Gen II Hayabusa - ECU HACKED - 300kmh+ No 2nd and 3rd gear restrictions, Modified maps, Wideband datalogger
http://www.wasuperlites.com
Camel
Piranha

Postby chrishallett83 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:57 am

If you want to really ground your motor - go to Repco or Auto1, buy yourself a meaty earth strap, fit one end of it under an engine mount bolt (clean rust free metal to metal contact only), and fit the other end under a big chassis bolt somewhere. You'll want the chassis end to be mounted in a spot where you've scraped and sanded away the paint/powdercoat to ensure perfect metal contact. Once it's all bolted up, then you spray over the ends of it with a can of spray paint to keep moisture out.
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" - Douglas Bader
chrishallett83
Vulture

Postby Camel » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:07 pm

Better yet, your GSXR600 had a very special spot where one end of the negative cable ( A big fat fucker of a cable) was bolted to. The other end of this BFF of a cable was bolted directly to the negative side of the battery.

Check your manual, or look at a GSXR600.

Most likely this special spot looks like a lump in the casting, near the starter motor with a 6x1mm thread cut into it, (or sometimes on zooks near the rear end of the casing where the two crankcase halves meet).
---
Gen II Hayabusa - ECU HACKED - 300kmh+ No 2nd and 3rd gear restrictions, Modified maps, Wideband datalogger
http://www.wasuperlites.com
Camel
Piranha

Postby westymx » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:00 pm

chrishallett83 wrote: Once it's all bolted up, then you spray over the ends of it with a can of spray paint to keep moisture out.

CRC have a product that is made for this purpose. its called Plasticote 70. is available in a 250gm aerosole tin. its clear so you can keep the clean look to your wiring. after you spray it on it dries to a flexible film and is dirt proof and resists against acids and alkilies (ie all your degreasers). would be good to coat all your electrical connections in this stuff to protect from atmospheric corrosion.

should be able to pick it up for under $19 a can.

cheers,

matt.
because i can
westymx
Raven

Postby broujo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:38 pm

I know how it sounds but it is a 2001 GSXR 600 Suzuki motor with busa wiring. The wiring diagram for a GSXR dose not apply. The Busa wiring diagram on the other post is the one I have. Belive me I thought thas was strange as hell too.
broujo
Registered Member

Postby boogie » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:45 pm

westymx wrote:CRC have a product that is made for this purpose. its called Plasticote 70. is available in a 250gm aerosole tin. its clear so you can keep the clean look to your wiring. after you spray it on it dries to a flexible film and is dirt proof and resists against acids and alkilies (ie all your degreasers). would be good to coat all your electrical connections in this stuff to protect from atmospheric corrosion.

should be able to pick it up for under $19 a can.

cheers,

matt.

Yeah that stuff is great, infact it worked so well that eventually it made the connection between the cables and the battery open, so no power was getting to the car, not good when your doing 100kph down the road at night and your car conks out. Maybe not so bad in a buggy, but just something to keep in mind if you start having problems down the track.

Cheers Joel
Buggy: Piranha now Barracuda !
Engine: TBA
Stage: Planning stage
boogie
Registered Member

Return to Electrics