Tip over sensor

Need a spark. All those tedious electrics, lights, tacho, wiring harness, etc

Postby artie on edge » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:26 pm

I know this is anold thread but I've only just read it and thought I might add my 2 cents worth. The real cost of my experience was a just over $1500 and much time... I had better explain, its a long story with a moral!

At the National Champs offroad race at the Puckapunyal army base in Victoria I had the good fortune (?) to drive my machine, a class 3 SAW (South Australian Welding) buggy through a set of Leopard tank track holes (gullies) while nearly flat out. These square edged ditches where nearly a 12" deep and 18" wide x 2 (went back for a look after all was over).

At the time I was running 10 Bilstein shocks and managed to blow the arse out of 4 of them (2 bent shafts and 2 blown seals). These were removed dropping me down to 1 shock each front and 2 each rear.

A very long rh sweeping bend with graded gravel was next and with a few shocks short the beasty didnt track as well as it had on previous laps and I ran my LHR tyre over the graded berm and over she went. I have no idea how many times but it was all in very slow motion.

When you roll a car at speed you tend to brace yourself and I braced myself with 1 foot on the throttle (stoopid) as a result I had 12 grand on the tacho telltale and more importantly this while upside down (several times).

the result was a ruined bottom end and a repair bill as mentioned above.

My point is this, This was very easy to do!

Motorcycle engines rev much faster than even high performance car engines and god knows what revs it would have hit had it been a bussa engine (destruction surely). My engine could handle the numbers (revs) ... but it couldnt handle those numbers without a steady oil supply!!!

The moral is: A TOS would have saved me a lot of money and heartache had one been installed.

Liek Camel, Im still not certain this unit will work under our conditions (mine is destined for the track). Perhaps for social use it will be fine but i have reservations about use in full track work. BUT its a damn fine idea!
artie on edge
Trax II

Postby Bildo » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:50 pm

A friend of mine made some electrical component like a TOS with moving parts and all, only thing was, it would only cut the power after the circut had been closed for a short period of time, (it was adjustable) so un-less you were going over some HARD CORE bumps for more than 5 seconds, it wouldn't kill the motor for sudden and violent shocks.

He designed it for a potato cannon, it worked really bloody well. but lost interest in it and "Couldn't be bothered fart assing around with it again"
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari
Bildo
Trax II

Postby Tony » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:20 pm

It would be real easy to make a mechanical TOS.
Just a small metal tube mounted vertical with a ball bearing inside thats a nice sliding fit.
Stainless would be ideal so it does not corrode.
At the top of the tube you have an insulated contact.
The tube itself is connected to the kill switch circuit & if the tube is dead shorted to the contact it competes the circuit, (dead short).
So when you tip over, or roll past 90 degrees the ball will roll up the tube & hit the contact.
The ball is still touching the sides of the metal tube when it hits the contact.
If its a tall tube , (50mm or so)it would be very unlikely for the ball to jump to the top of the tube & hit the contact when going over bumps & ruts.
Even if it did it would be momentary & hardly noticable.

A little like a tip over shut off used on fuel venting.
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Postby Bildo » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:55 pm

Imagine getting a CAMS bloke to certify that!
Just imagine the look of horror when you try to explain it...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Bildo
Trax II

Postby Bildo » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:56 pm

Top idea though, i like that one a lot.
Bildo
Trax II

Postby artie on edge » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:12 pm

Tony, that makes so much sense its ridiculous! So then, if it were that simple, why does he busa need a resisitor (68k) to replace its TOS? Thats a rhetorical question, perhaps Camel might jump in.

But what you describe sounds like it should work and takes care of the "excess" sensitivity of the suzuki motorcycle unit.

Mate I like it!
artie on edge
Trax II

Postby Camel » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:39 am

I think I mentioned before that I liked the idea but felt the Gen I Busa TOS was too touchy (it's mechanical), the Gen II TOS seems completely different and doesn't rattle when you give it a little shake like the Gen I does. I'm leaving it on. I imagine the ECM will give me a fault code if the rough stuff shakes it up.
---
Gen II Hayabusa - ECU HACKED - 300kmh+ No 2nd and 3rd gear restrictions, Modified maps, Wideband datalogger
http://www.wasuperlites.com
Camel
Piranha

Postby Bildo » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:43 am

Why are we posting this late at night?
Bildo
Trax II

Postby monty » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:53 am

Bildo wrote:Why are we posting this late at night?

coz we are people with no lives that are obsesed off road buggys :roll: :lol:
at 12,500rpm
no one can hear you scream

piranha zx10 ninja
monty
Taipan

Postby Tony » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:19 pm

CAMS do not need to certify the mechanism as its not part of their rules.
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Re: Tip over sensor

Postby DiRt DeViL » Sun May 16, 2010 3:55 am

What resistor do I need to bypass the tip over sensor on a 03 GSXR 750? problem is I don`t have the tip over sensor thats why I need to bypass it.
DiRt DeViL
Registered Member

Postby Rayatswan » Sun May 30, 2010 8:46 am

I cut out 1 set of contacts on my TL1000 TOS and then mounted it on its side with the no contacts section down, still functions as intended if you invert the buggy but there are no nuisance stopages over bumps. There was even a fine cut in the contact from the factory which made removal easy and very neat.
Rayatswan
Fun Kart

Postby rob8420 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:49 am

Hi i am now wiring up an sv1000 piranha and i am going to glue the TO sensor up tok it apart today and was wondering if anybody knew were to glue it inplace????
Here are some pics of what it like

This is how it comes out of the casing with the rubber surround saying upper i guess thats how you mount it ?

ANy help much appreciated

Thanks
Robin

Thanks
Robin
rob8420
Fun Kart

Postby Hamish » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:42 am

You can buy a thing called a "mercury tilt switch" which is essentially a glass tube with a blob of mercury in it. Two electrodes are at one end, and when the mercury touches them both, it completes the circuit, the idea is that when the switch is upside down, the mercury falls to the other end of the tube, and breaks the circuit. Not sure how it would stand up to the vibrations, jumps or fast corners, and if the glass shattered it would kill your engine, but its perfect for the job otherwise.

http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/625086 ... witch.html
It would have been extremely dangerous... except for the fact he was drinking at the same time.
Hamish
Trax II

Postby mph-goldcoast » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:14 pm

I glued mine up.....Problem solved!!!!!
mph-goldcoast
Raven

Postby Jet » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:39 pm

Electrical Tape also works!
<a href="http://www.digrite.com.au/racing#!digrite-racing/c23vw">Check out the latest video and Pictures from Digrite Racing</a>
Jet
Barracuda

Postby DeRat » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:11 pm

Just pull the GenII Cuda & that worked too.
“Face it, Love me or hate me, I'm going to give you a damn good show and drive the wheels off it.”
DeRat
Taipan

Previous

Return to Electrics