Tip over sensor

Need a spark. All those tedious electrics, lights, tacho, wiring harness, etc

Tip over sensor

Postby nikitasimt » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:53 pm

Does anyone knows what can you do for the tip over sensor in order to make the motor run?
I mean that this sensor reads the angle of the bike and if you go over 65 degrees then it cuts the power .
If you place it correctly in the buggy then it should work but maybe it is not design to get so hard knocks as on a buggy and then it cuts the power every time you go airborne or hit big bumps
Do you need it for the buggy to run safely or you just through it away?
The motor is SUZUKI GSXR 1000 K4
nikitasimt
Fun Kart

Postby Tony » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:05 pm

Fraser has installed the tip over sensor in his Barracuda...................and it works !!!
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Postby trojan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:11 pm

they don't work as intended in a buggy coz you don't lean the buggy around the corners. Mick disabled his by opening it and tying a cable tie around the pendulum, others have hot glued it in place.
If you can use a multimeter, you can measure the resistance across it and replace it with a resistor of the measured value +/- 10%.
Don't ya hate it when you put your heart into something only to have political c**ts who've contributed little by comparison, knife you in the back?
trojan
Piranha

Postby nikitasimt » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:27 pm

Thank you for the infos
I will try to leave it in place and see how it goes
nikitasimt
Fun Kart

Postby Camel » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:39 pm

Try replacing the TOS with a 68 K ohm resistor. Works for a Hayabusa. Won't run without it.
---
Gen II Hayabusa - ECU HACKED - 300kmh+ No 2nd and 3rd gear restrictions, Modified maps, Wideband datalogger
http://www.wasuperlites.com
Camel
Piranha

Postby nikitasimt » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:40 pm

Thanks Camel
I think i will try to make it work as is and if i run into problems i will change it
nikitasimt
Fun Kart

Postby Hayacuda » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:17 am

Hi Nikita,

I have temporarily put a dab of silicone on the pendulum. I have not yet decided whether to remove it and use the diode or mount it. If mounted correctly it will rarely if ever shut down your engine.

The advantage of using it is that in a rollover it may save your engine from running dry on oil and self destructing.

Mark
Hayacuda
Raven

Postby Camel » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:14 pm

Chaps,

I'm starting to warm to the idea of retaining the TOS. I hadachat with CPO after his dramatic rollover at Northam and he said that the TOS had turned the buggy off automatically - thus doing the job it was designed for.

Here's a photo of the gizzards of the Hayabusa TOS.
As you can see it's a pretty simple design. The slip ring (the part that rattles when you shake the TOS) basically allows a current to run between the contacts points and the arc-shaped ring when the unit is tipped over :? .

I replace the TOS with a 68 KOhm resistor because 'logic' tells me that off-road shaking of the TOS would cause an intermittent cut-out of the engine. That slip ring is a very loose fit. However, I am very aware of the safety benefit offered by the TOS and would retain it if I was sure that the aboveforementioned intermittent cut-out wouldn't happen.

I might trial the TOS and make it replaceable by fitting the resistor with a plug.

Camel
---
Gen II Hayabusa - ECU HACKED - 300kmh+ No 2nd and 3rd gear restrictions, Modified maps, Wideband datalogger
Camel
Piranha

Postby Russell » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:03 am

Get rid of the sensor and replace it with a resistor or glue the pendulum in place. A good bump on a corner or jump does set them off and it becomes bloody annoying . Stuff the safety factor!
Russell
KLR650 Sidewinder
TL1000 Piranha
TL1000 Modified Piranha (AA front end)
Busa Powered Cuda
What could possibly go wrong?
Russell
Taipan

Postby nikitasimt » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:16 pm

Thank you for the tip
I will try it first and see how it is working
If it is a problem i will glue it in place
nikitasimt
Fun Kart

Postby Dimitris76 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:59 pm

If my engine had that sort of pendulum tip over sensor that Camel posted, I would disable (insulate it with a dab of hot glue or cut it away alltogether) the contact on one side and keep the contact intact on the other.
Then I would mount in perpendicular orientation on the buggy - with the disabled contact towards the ground and the functional side up.

That way false triggering is prevented due to lateral accelaration but the engine still shuts down in case of a rollover.

It's highly unlikely that this loose fitting ring would slide over that curved metal all the way to the upper contact just by jumping or driving fast on a bumpy road.

Just my 2 cents....

Dimitris
Sidewinder Driver
Dimitris76
Fun Kart

Postby Camel » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:32 pm

Bloody good idea that!
---
Camel
Piranha

Postby nikitasimt » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:27 pm

Dimitris thank you for the tip
The problem is that the T.O.S. in my GSXR is different than the one Camel had in the pictures It is actually round and it is travelling round in full circle with two different points of contact up and down
I will try to get some photos from it to show you exactly how its working
nikitasimt
Fun Kart

Postby Dimitris76 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:32 pm

Nikita,

even if the pendulum rotates 360 degrees, I guess you can still disable one of the contacts and mount it with the functioning one up.
Post a pic and we'll definately figure out something!

Filika,
Dimitris
Sidewinder Driver
Dimitris76
Fun Kart

Postby nikitasimt » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:44 pm

Hi Dimitris
I would do that , thank you
Dimitris what is going on with your build?
Do you need any help?

Nikitas
nikitasimt
Fun Kart

Postby Dimitris76 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:46 pm

Nikita,

my buggy is ready and I am enjoying it actually for the last three years!
Of course building a Sidewinder I undertook a much easier task in comparison to The Barracuda, but considering my resources and my (lack of) founds - being just a medical school student when I started, it's been a great fun - both building and driving it!
For the record, I can brag that I built the whole buggy from scratch by myself - the only thing I bought from Edge was the plans and the rims.

I seems that I have already ironed out most of it's "childhood deseases" and now (in contrast to the beginning...) I get 99% fun time and just 1% down-/repairtime. The only thing left to do, is to strip it and paint it properly... but I keep postponing it ! :lol:

Here are some old (3 year old) pics of my dirty buggy right after a test run:

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/Dimitris76/

Dimitris
Sidewinder Driver
Dimitris76
Fun Kart

Postby biggans » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:54 am

Mick had a similar issue when he took his GSXR1000 out for his first run. He simply locked the swinging pendulum in one position and the job was done. He has never had an issue with it again.
The Change is here........
biggans
Sidewinder Plus

Postby Dimitris76 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:13 pm

Most of the people have already figured out a way to disable/bypass these tip over sensors and have their buggies running. But that's not the whole point.... the optimal would be retaining some functionality in order to kill the engine when you are upside down.

I might be looking for trouble (since the buggy is running fine as it is now) but I am seriously thinking wiring one of these things on the - currently shorted - sidestand connector of my KLR harness.... :roll:

Dimitris
Sidewinder Driver
Dimitris76
Fun Kart

Postby Camel » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:10 pm

CPO certainly found his TOS to be useful when he rolled Morticia. I personally like the idea of retaining it and will explore further the possibility of making it work.

From memory I don't think the KLR sidestand switch totally disables the ignition and I'm quite sure it won't isolate your power. I seem to recall that the KLR sidestand switch prevents the engine from revving above idle.

A better option would be to wire it into the kill switch circuit.

Camel
Camel
Piranha

Postby Dimitris76 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:27 am

Camel wrote:the KLR sidestand switch totally disables the ignition and I'm quite sure it won't isolate your power. I seem to recall that the KLR sidestand switch prevents the engine from revving above idle.

The KLR's sidestand switch kills the engine only when it's in gear. But if you roll it over and have the nerve (or consiousness...) to put it back in neutral, chances are you could hit the ordinary kill switch and you don't need a tilt sensor anyway...

But I am thinking that it worths the efford having a working TOS since it can save your precious engine from meltdown due to lack of lubrication during those few precious seconds that is running up side-down!
Not to mention the safety aspect - killing the engine - no ignition sparks around spilled gas, etc.

Camel wrote:A better option would be to wire it into the kill switch circuit.

That's definetely better but you don't need to chop through the wiring harness if you go the sidestand way.

Dimitris
Sidewinder Driver
Dimitris76
Fun Kart

Next

Return to Electrics