El-Cheapo batteries

Need a spark. All those tedious electrics, lights, tacho, wiring harness, etc

El-Cheapo batteries

Postby Simon1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:13 pm

I'm after a reasonable battery to start my buggy, run the electric reverse and thermo fans. Anyone tried one of these batteries? Seems to be quite cheap.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-AGM-DRY- ... 4cfacf7a72

Or the expensive alternative? The cheaper one is seems superior on paper? Plus its smaller in the right places making it easier to mount for me. Comments suggestions?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ODYSSEY-EXTR ... vi-content
Simon1
Taipan

Re: El-Cheapo batteries

Postby Tony » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:53 am

Personally I would say the Odyssey battery is the way to go.
I will not fit a bike battery into a buggy as they simply do not last.
A couple of total discharges are they are stuffed.
Where as a car battery you can abuse much more & are generally cheaper.
Many of the cheaper batteries on the market now are Chinese & Indian.
I'm sure there are some quality batteries within this cheaper market, but how long is it going to take to find & at what cost in experimentation.
"There can't be a practical reason for believing in what isn't true" – Sir Bertrand Russell.
Tony
Administrator

Postby DeRat » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:21 pm

If I may offer my Experience on SSB Batteries... I do agree with Tony Odyssey Batteries are absolutely the Off Road Standard......

As we are racing Focused here at the SEQMBC I opted for an SSB Lithium Battery (LTX14BS) & have found it to be faultless so far... 400 CCA & Fully Charged from flat in 15 Minutes... & The Best Part.. THEY ONLY WEIGH 1.1 Kg's In The Buggy.. amazing.. Saving me + 5Kg's... Yes Please. (http://www.superstart.com.au/Products/P ... fault.aspx).

These Lithium Style of Batteries have be run in Indy Cars for some Years I'm Told.

Battery Conditioning. I do have a Battery Disconnect & the Battery is Disconnected whenever I'm not using the battery............ Simple & inexpensive way to maintain your battery I've found.
“Face it, Love me or hate me, I'm going to give you a damn good show and drive the wheels off it.”
DeRat
Taipan

Postby Simon1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:46 am

Thanks for the info,

I had already brought the ER30 before I seen your post Derat - the battery in the link you posted look the goods! Just wondering how heavy your electric system is. Do you run power steering or reverse?

Just a side note when buying baterries - make sure you shop around. Cheapest the local supplier could do on one of those ER30's was $525!!!
Simon1
Taipan

Postby DeRat » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:42 am

i got my battery for $250 ... no reverse or power steering yet. but the specs should see it powrr these easily... have run 4x hid lights for several hours off & on racing.....

given the 1kg weight & small size.... could easily incorporate a 2nd battery
“Face it, Love me or hate me, I'm going to give you a damn good show and drive the wheels off it.”
DeRat
Taipan

Return to Electrics