ZX600R Piranha

Need a spark. All those tedious electrics, lights, tacho, wiring harness, etc

ZX600R Piranha

Postby Nungan » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi all.

Have nearly torn my hair out with this machine. I have fitted a 1998 ZX600R motor into a piranha. Bike was complete and running with no problems and since fitting will crank but not fire. I have bypassed the clutch and side stand switch back to the IC igniter according to the schematics and retained the original dash unit. I do not have the original bike frame anymore as it was no longer needed. I have heard of the ignition barrell having some kind of resistance to the IC igniter for anti theft but the Kawasaki guru says this bike wouldn't have this fitted. I am very close to ripping this motor out and replacing it, but would love to see it running. Any ideas or people that may have any other remedies would be appreciated.

Cheers
Nungan
Registered Member

Re: ZX600R Piranha

Postby Mclovin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Mate i was in this position last week! Majority of the time it's something dead simple. Is your engine properly earthed? Getting a spark at all?
"To be old and wise first you need to be young and stupid"

50% complete Piranha Kawasaki ZZR 600
Mclovin
Taipan

Postby mph-goldcoast » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:16 am

I wouldnt always trust what the Kawasaki guys say!!!! my TL1000 had the same problem, speak to a motorcycle wrecker, they will tell you if the ignition has a diode or not....
mph-goldcoast
Raven

Postby matt(boily) » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:43 am

What did you keep from the original bike. Did you keep the ignition barrel? This may help if not.

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/mechanics-corner/40902-98-zx6r-wont-spark-2.html

If not then we may need to get a little more in depth on what may be the cause.
Suzuki TL1000R Barracuda
matt(boily)
Taipan

Postby Nungan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:14 am

Thanks for the quick replies.

Mat. I have kept bugger all of the original bike. Only the harnesses, dash, coils etc. The resistor pictured is exactly what I was chasing. Will get hold of wrecker today and get a barrel sent up. Funny that the Kwaka bloke reckons it doesn't exist. Once I have it all running, will post some pictures of the build and play time. Appreciate the help.

Cheers
Nungan
Registered Member

Return to Electrics