Fun Kart 3 - Motor Options

Buggy Specific

Fun Kart 3 - Motor Options

Postby cookymanau » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:44 pm

I have built a fun kart 3 with a B&S 5HP motor with a Comet CVT transmission. I finished it about a year ago and it works OK but the kart has no get up and go. It doesnt have a lot of excitement. I would like to upgrade the powerplant to something that will spin up the rear wheels and make power slides, donuts etc possible, at least at slower speeds.

My question revolves around options. I Think just upping the HP with a B&S motor would be relatively easy but will it give me what I want? Advice needed

I can purchase a new motor (thinking of a 11HP B&S), but will the Comet CVT handle the power and will I be able to power slide / donut - what ever? or will it still be a smooth take off? Will I be able to covert the Comet CVT to a 1" bore for the motor?

I keep thinking I need a clutch and gearbox, but I have no experience with a CVT with other power plants, only with what I have built. So advice please!

My other option is to purchase a single cylinder 250cc motorcycle engine and arrange a gear change etc. This is a lot more work I am thinking, but would I be better off going this way? Is a 250cc motor to much? Watched a few YouTube videos with 250cc motors - they look pretty wild!

All advice solicited and welcomed

Cheers
cookymanau
Registered Member

Re: Fun Kart 3 - Motor Options

Postby cookymanau » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi - lots of viewers of my original post but no comments.

I have done some more research of my own and I conclude that for adequate mumbo I should fit a 250cc single cylinder bike motor. I have an option on a 250cc Yamaha 4 stroke single that seems to be in good working order. Any comments? Are these units strong enough in the gearbox department? Any build issues?

Cheers
cookymanau
Registered Member

Postby 20hec » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:18 pm

Hi cookymanau

I used a chinese jianshe 200cc engine in a trax II and that plenty of power for that buggy any more than a 250 in a fun kart could be scary

Dave
20hec
Raven

Postby cookymanau » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:06 pm

20hec wrote:Hi cookymanau

I used a chinese jianshe 200cc engine in a trax II and that plenty of power for that buggy any more than a 250 in a fun kart could be scary

Dave

Hi Dave -

How long have you had the Chinese motor? I am wondering a bit about reliability. I have scanned the web a fair bit since reading your comment and I cant seemed to find a reseller in Oz for a 200cc engine. Found plenty of Chinese 125 and 150 / 160 engines and even a 250cc engin OK, but the 200cc engines seem a bit rare. Must be missing something. where did you get yours from?

It seems that these engines are pretty cheap and given they seem to come complete with everything you need to get them going in a Kart - pretty compelling. The nagging worry though is reliability - I guess mostly around the gear box and how tough it is. Do you have any thoughts on this?

On the subject of size - 250cc is pretty much over powering the kart, I agree. It is just a matter of what was / is available from wreckers etc. I am going for something better than 5HP and thought around at least 10 to 12 HP would suffice.

Cheers
cookymanau
Registered Member

Postby 20hec » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:41 pm

I HAVE A 200CC LONCIN ELECTRIC START ENGINE WITH 4 FORWARD GEARS AND REVERSE BRAND NEW THAT IM NOT GOING TO USE IF YOU ARE INTERESTED BUT IT DOESNT HAVE ALL THE ELECTRIC BITS BUT THEY ARE ALL AVALIABLE ON EBAY OR THE LOCAL DEALER. i WOULD WANT $250 DOLLARS FOR IT AND TO POST IT TO SYDNEY FOR EXAMPLE WOULD BE ABOUT 45 BUCKS. FROM WHAT I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE ONE I PUT IN MY TRAX II MOST OF THEM ARE A HONDA COPY AND AS FAR AS RELIABILITY MY MATE AND I BOTH HAD ONE FLOGGED THE CRAP OUT OF THEM FOR 2 YEARS NOW AND ARE STILL GOING STRONG.

CHEERS DAVE

20hec
Raven

Postby cookymanau » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:43 pm

[quote="20hec"]I HAVE A 200CC LONCIN ELECTRIC START ENGINE WITH 4 FORWARD GEARS AND REVERSE BRAND NEW THAT IM NOT GOING TO USE IF YOU ARE INTERESTED BUT IT DOESNT HAVE ALL THE ELECTRIC BITS BUT THEY ARE ALL AVALIABLE ON EBAY OR THE LOCAL DEALER. i WOULD WANT $250 DOLLARS FOR IT AND TO POST IT TO SYDNEY FOR EXAMPLE WOULD BE ABOUT 45 BUCKS. FROM WHAT I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE ONE I PUT IN MY TRAX II MOST OF THEM ARE A HONDA COPY AND AS FAR AS RELIABILITY MY MATE AND I BOTH HAD ONE FLOGGED THE CRAP OUT OF THEM FOR 2 YEARS NOW AND ARE STILL GOING STRONG.

CHEERS DAVE

Dave - I am interested. Price and postage are acceptable. I am in Perth. My only concerns are:

What do I need to buy to replace the bits that are missing?
What else do I need to purchase to get the thing running in a kart that are motor specific?

Can we email please. I am at ian at ianacook.com.au replace the at with a @.

Cheers

Ian
cookymanau
Registered Member

Postby dakab444 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:12 pm

I had a fun kart with a B&S motor. I wnet with a kawasaki zzr250 with electrics. Similar to a GPZ or GPX motor. I've had no problems with it and it goes well. Gets up to 80km/h no probs. Gets a bit scary after that. You will probably want to add suspension like i did. Picture ------------>>>>
The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen to advice.
Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.
dakab444
Trax II

Return to Raven / Fun Kart III / Trax II