Trax II

Buggy Specific

Trax II

Postby Anonymous » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:53 pm

I'm looking at making a trax II for myself, as my first foray into the world of off-road buggies. i was wondering, firstly how hard are they to make, as i have little to no prior experience in welding or constructing with metal. and secondaly, would there be enough room for me, considering i'm 6'3".

I have no expreience in fabrication either, so i was going to purchase the complete buggy and contruct it, is there a cheaper way to do it while no confusing my noobish mind with fabrication. and would the standard motor included in the kit still pull hard enough for me, i like speed.

any coments would be helpful
thanx
Rob
Anonymous

Postby Matt » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:45 pm

no. I am 5'11'' and we have extended the fram 700 mm. this was to accomadate a bigger engine (honda 250) and extra leg room.
Matt
Raven

Re: Trax II

Postby DaveLand » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:07 am

Lord_Rob wrote:I'm looking at making a trax II for myself, as my first foray into the world of off-road buggies. i was wondering, firstly how hard are they to make, as i have little to no prior experience in welding or constructing with metal. and secondaly, would there be enough room for me, considering i'm 6'3".

Fairly easy to build but i'm 5'10" and I used to touch the top rollbar padding with my helmet on bumps. add about 2" in height and extending the frame and axle rearwards will help with the weight balance and steering.
DAVE
My Website
I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.
DaveLand
Fun Kart

Postby Anonymous » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:42 pm

Mate,

With all due respect, if you have no experience in welding and fabrication,
you are much better off building a fun cart3 or raven, just so you can get your skills up.I am sure you will find a trax pretty hard with your expirience. Build something smaller and less complicated before moving up-that way you can learn from your mistakes by making small errors that on a bigger bugger would cost 100s of dollars to fix :( .
By the way, fun karts are just that, a load of fun. My lil bro has a raven with a rollcage that is way underpowered and yet i still can have fearless fun on it :D :D .

Just my two cents worth.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:15 pm

Awesome, i might go with the fun kart, first, it wil need less capital, what sort of welder do you suggest i get to undertake building one of these?
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:28 pm

G'Day

This was taken from a previous post on welders. :wink:

get at least a 135 ~ 150 Amp / gas / > 75% duty cycle @ full amps machine... 0.8 or 0.9mm wire. A MIG welder is a foundation tool, you'll have it for years, it is worth getting a good one, a reputiable make from a good supplier... think about after sales service and consumable purchase.. Lincoln, BOC, Millar etc etc..

Its not my place giving advice about welders cause i got a friend to do the welding for me. :oops:
i am also looking into getting a welder so yeah..
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:39 pm

i think i might need to do a little researcgh on welders cos i know not of anything you just talked about. heh heh heh :oops:
Anonymous

Postby Matt » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:51 am

I think A trax wouyld be OK for a first build. Im 13 and am currently workiong on a trax. we have complicated the design a bit so if you go with it as the plans suggest it would be easier. we have changed the engine and extended the frame. Im getting dad to do the welding as we are using and arc welder which is quite hard to use for a begginer. dad has sworn if i build another buggy hes getting a MIG.
Matt
Raven

Postby Dramatica » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:55 pm

A Trax 2 would be fine for a first build.

I recommend going to a small local fabricator, let them know what you are doing and ask for some advice on the fabrication side of things. I did this then spent months of Friday afternoons, having a few cold beers, while this guy walked me through welding, bending, lathing and milling. I really should say a big thankyou to Bruce Potter from Ancorage Mobile Welding for putting up with me over the years...

Anyway, best of luck, and keep in touch!
"Fast - Cheap - Reliable. Pick two."
Dramatica
Administrator

Re: Trax II

Postby dspilar » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:31 pm

Nice Buggy mate

Im 13 and Im about to start building a fun kart with a roll cage and I havent got much experience either I think you will be fine
dspilar
Registered Member

Return to Raven / Fun Kart III / Trax II